• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

The table seems pretty well set on the track by the looks of the GFS sliding north...I suppose one could make an argument for the Canadian still being a little south.  If you were on the northern fringes prior to the GFS latest runs then you can unclench your ass cheeks imho

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So - any guesses where the shifting will stop? Any chance that Middle TN could get more in line for the heavier snow like depicted on the UKMET or the ECMWF?

I still don't trust the GFS.  The question will be will the 0Z remain consistent for the GFS, and do the Euro and ukie remain consistent or do we see them all come into a median alignment between them.  I suspect over the course of the 0Z and 6Z we will see a lot more agreement....  Agreement on what though is the question.  I do wonder though if our northern energy sliding on to North America this afternoon and more sampling occuring since then has brought the GFS around to something at least closer to the Euro albeit much more aggressive, and making a hook up the coast it still is the one that shifted closer to the Euro, which to me gives the Euro more cred.  Now if the Euro begins going toward the GFS tonight 0Z or 6Z tomorrow, that will be interesting.

So - any guesses where the shifting will stop? Any chance that Middle TN could get more in line for the heavier snow like depicted on the UKMET or the ECMWF?

Yes. I think the chances are better than 50/50, even though your local guys are scared to give north central TN more than an inch.

I guess if it had been 1,450+ days here, I'd be looking at every way possible it wouldn't happen too though, lol.

Now keep in mind, as that says, it's assuming 10:1 for those maps. This snow could easily be 15 to 1 in many areas.

It won't be any higher than 10:1 (and may actually be lower than that) for the first round. Temps are a lot warmer on the GFS. It actually changes CHA over to rain for a portion of the event. No other model that I'm aware of has temps that warm though. The Euro is obviously much colder.

Yes. I think the chances are better than 50/50, even though your local guys are scared to give north central TN more than an inch.

I guess if it had been 1,450+ days here, I'd be looking at every way possible it wouldn't happen too though, lol.

I would not doubt that. As I am sure everyone in this forum knows, this system is different in at least one important way for Middle TN. We usually are able to say, "well, the ground is so warm, it will melt when it falls, or the roads will be fine, it was just up to 50." This wont be the case, whether it is 2" or 6", whatever falls is likely to be around most of the week, which is another unusual thing for the area.

Extreme cold is looking almost like a given and multiple waves of snow are looking very possible. There's lots of energy and lots of cold lurking around. The GFS indicated sub zero cold next week and even 10s below zero in the week after with cold all the way through March. 

The Euro turns us into Maine, with 20-30 inches of snow cover, all this within the next 8 days.

The 12z model suite is simply astounding for this time of year much less January...the 12z Canadian shows a January 85 redux AFTER this week and the Euro is not all that far away from it. Simply stunning cold for TN Valley and Southeast unlike anything any of us have witnessed in many many years...Hopefully it will go away...I will have had enough by the end of this week!

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1100 AM EST SUN FEB 15 2015

VALID 12Z WED FEB 18 2015 - 12Z SUN FEB 22 2015

...OVERVIEW...

IN THE WAKE OF ERN PAC ENERGY STREAMING INTO WRN NOAM THROUGH
MIDWEEK...THE ERN PAC MEAN RIDGE IS FCST TO REBUILD LATE WEEK
THROUGH NEXT WEEKEND. AS THIS OCCURS A VERY DEEP AND COLD ERN
TROUGH SHOULD DEPART FROM THE EAST TO LEAVE A MORE POSITIVELY
TILTED MEAN TROUGH OVER THE CONUS INTO NEXT WEEKEND. THIS PATTERN
IS CONSISTENT WITH TELECONNECTIONS RELATIVE TO THE CORE OF
POSITIVE HGT ANOMALIES SEEN NEAR THE AK PANHANDLE/BC COAST. THIS
CYCLE MAINTAINS THE RECENT THEME OF ABOVE AVG CONFIDENCE IN THE
LARGE SCALE PATTERN THROUGH THE PERIOD...BUT WITH DIMINISHED
CONFIDENCE IN DETAILS...ESPECIALLY FOR THE LATTER HALF OF THE
MEDIUM-RANGE FORECAST PERIOD.

...GUIDANCE EVALUATION AND PREFERENCES...

FOR THE SYSTEM OFF THE EAST COAST ON DAY 3 WED...CONSULT THE
UPCOMING MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION PMDHMD FOR UPDATED INFO FROM
NEWER SHORT RANGE GUIDANCE. THE 00Z/06Z GUIDANCE ON WHICH LATEST
WPC MEDIUM-RANGE PROGS WERE BASED STILL SHOW A WELL ORGANIZED
SYSTEM LIFTING OFF NEW ENG TOWARD THE CANADIAN MARITIMES.

UPSTREAM THE INCREASINGLY SHEARED NATURE OF ERN PAC ENERGY FLOWING
INTO THE CONUS LEADS TO SIGNIFICANT CHALLENGES IN RESOLVING THE
ASSOC SFC EVOLUTION FROM THE PLAINS EWD. THUS FAR DETERMINISTIC
MODEL RUNS HAVE BEEN SHOWING POOR AGREEMENT/RUN TO RUN
CONTINUITY...LEADING TO WILDLY VARYING SOLNS FOR SFC
EVOLUTION/TIMING AND SENSIBLE WEATHER FOCUS. FOR THE TIME BEING
CONTINUE TO FAVOR AN ENSEMBLE MEAN APPROACH TO REFLECT MORE
CONSISTENT SIMILARITIES IN THE FCST PATTERN UNTIL THE MEDIUM TO
SMALLER SCALE DETAILS BECOME MORE CERTAIN.

ACCORDINGLY OVER THE FORECAST DOMAIN/TIME SCALES...WPC
MEDIUM-RANGE GUIDANCE IS PRIMARILY DERIVED FROM BLENDING 06Z GEFS
AND 00Z ECMWF/NAEFS ENSEMBLE MEANS.

...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

PARTS OF THE NORTHEAST MAY SEE LINGERING SNOWFALL WED BEFORE THE
DEPARTURE OF WRN ATLC LOW PRES WHILE ANOTHER COLD SURGE BEHIND IT
SHOULD SUPPORT SOME SNOW TO THE LEE OF OPEN GRTLKS AND ON WRN
SLOPES OF THE APLCHNS. WITH THIS COLD SURGE EXPECT SOME LOCATIONS
OVER THE ERN HALF OF THE CONUS TO SEE AT 2-3 DAYS WITH TEMPS AS
EXTREME AS 20-35F BELOW NORMAL DURING WED INTO SAT THAT WOULD
CHALLENGE LOCAL RECORD VALUES. THE COMBINATION OF INCREASED GULF
INFLOW AND EVOLUTION ALOFT TOWARD A POSITIVELY TILTED MEAN TROUGH
SHOULD ENCOURAGE INCREASED COVERAGE/INTENSITY OF PCPN FROM THE
S-CENTRAL PLAINS/MS VLY SPREAD NEWD TO THE E COAST FRI-SUN. ERN
CONUS TEMPS WILL BE MODERATING LATE IN THE PERIOD. THE LARGER
SCALE PATTERN OFFERS A THREAT FOR WINTERY WEATHER ON THE NRN
PORTION OF THE OVERALL PCPN SHIELD IN THE LEAD COLD DOME. THIS
THREAT IS QUITE REAL DESPITE SMALLER SCALE DETAIL UNCERTAINTY. THE
PATTERN SEEN IN THE PREFERRED ENSEMBLE MEAN CLUSTER SFC/ALOFT BY
THE WEEKEND CAN TEND TO SUPPORT THE FULL RANGE OF WINTRY PCPN
TYPES. GUIDANCE CURRENTLY SIGNALS THE TN VLY AND SURROUNDING AREAS
AS HAVING BEST POTENTIAL TO SEE HEAVIEST TOTALS. MEANWHILE
UPSTREAM ENERGY ALOFT AND ONE OR MORE PERIODS OF UPSLOPE FLOW
SHOULD GENERATE PCPN FROM THE NRN PAC NW SEWD THROUGH THE
NRN-CNTRL ROCKIES. MOST OF THE WEST SHOULD SEE ABOVE NORMAL TEMPS
WITH GREATEST ANOMALIES OF PLUS 10-20F LIKELY CNTRD OVER THE GRT
BASIN WED-FRI.

SCHICHTEL

After this debacle.....I'm not holding my breath

I am going to use this as an example...This is exactly the type of post that gets deleted immediately and warnings and restrictions of posting privileges will follow for repeat bahvior.  If you want to whine about a bust before the storm happens you can go to the banter topic....preferrably in the SE forum banter but here is fine too.

I am going to use this as an example...This is exactly the type of post that gets deleted immediately and warnings and restrictions of posting privileges will follow for repeat bahvior.  If you want to whine about a bust before the storm happens you can go to the banter topic....preferrably in the SE forum banter but here is fine too.

LOL!!!!! Love it. :-)

We busted on temps here this morning, I was about 6 degrees above forecast, and when you're marginal to start with, that's never a good sign. My dew points are rising and at 12 degrees now and looks like a wet bulb of 26.6 F. I just hope enough of a CAD signature starts showing up to do any good for me here in Gwinnett county on the NE side of Atlanta. Hope is all I've got now...

Fair point and my apologies.  I was using tap a talk and bouncing from topic to topic and really didn't pay attention to what thread I was posting in.  My whole point was that I'm not belieiving models again this year......but agree my comment came across as a resident of the SE Forum.

Archived