• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

Fair point and my apologies.  I was using tap a talk and bouncing from topic to topic and really didn't pay attention to what thread I was posting in.  My whole point was that I'm not belieiving models again this year......but agree my comment came across as a resident of the SE Forum.

It is cool and I hope you don't mind...I have deleted about 5 posts about pre-busts already....Thanks for your positive response! :thumbsup:

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cold on the GFS is mind blowing. I guess the snow/ice pack in the area is allowing maximum bottoming out. Even if it's off by 10 degrees is going to be record breaking. If it's right it's advertising close to all time records before warming in advance of the next system starts Thursday night.

It's handing out January 1985 cold over my area, and this is after -18 on Thursday morning.

gfs_T2m_seus_16.png

Wow at the eps

Gah, no kiddin.  The snow mean and the control are 10+ for most of the TN valley.  For the handful of sites I checked, individual members were off the charts for the 15 day period.  TYS for example had all members over 6 inches with outliers showing a couple feet.  That coupled with what the GFS has been hinting at screams incredible potential over the next couple of weeks.

US Hazards Outlook
NWS Climate Prediction Center College Park MD
300 PM EST February 16 2015

Synopsis: A brutally cold air mass is forecast to impact the eastern half of the U.S. early in the period. Waves of low pressure could move along an eastward-moving cold front from the south-central U.S. to the eastern seaboard. Behind this front, more arctic air is forecast to affect the eastern part of the country by early next week. Areas of surface low pressure are anticipated near the Aleutians and Gulf of Alaska.

Hazards
Much below-normal temperatures for much of the eastern half of the U.S., Thu-Fri, Feb 19-20.
Much below-normal temperatures for parts of the eastern U.S. from the Carolinas to New England, Sat, Feb 21.
Much below-normal temperatures for parts of the upper Midwest and Great Lakes, Sun-Mon, Feb 22-23.
Freezing rain is possible from northern Arkansas eastward across parts of the Tennessee Valley, Fri, Feb 20.
Significant winter precipitation for parts of the Tennessee and Ohio Valleys, extending northeastward to the Mid-Atlantic U.S., Sat, Feb 21.
Heavy rain for parts of the southern Tennessee Valley and Arkansas, Sat, Feb 21.
A slight risk of much below-normal temperatures extending from the Northeast to the southern Plains, Tue-Sun, Feb 24-Mar 1.
A moderate risk of much below-normal temperatures extending from the Northeast to the lower Mississippi Valley, Tue-Fri, Feb 24-27.
A high risk of much below-normal temperatures for the Northeast, eastern Great Lakes, and Ohio Valley, Tue-Wed, Feb 24-25.
Severe drought for the Central and Southern Great Plains, Southwest, Great Basin, California, the Pacific Northwest, and Tennessee Valley.

The GFS went Hammertime from the Plateau East on Saturday.  Dumps 12 plus over a good portion of East Tennessee that run.

And washes most of it away with a warm nose and rain later.

I find this solution hard to believe and would love to see more support for it.  However the GFS has been consistent with showing that.

The NAM gives everyone a bit of snow from the Arctic front except a bit of downsloping off the plateau.

1 inch isn't out of the question for a large swath of the Valley.

I think we can do a little better than 10:1 ratios, given the cold air already in place. It's nothing but dumb gut instinct, but I'm bullish on the potential this has.

Does everyone want to role with this thread for the upcoming two events?  We have the clipper and brutal cold to follow as well as the weekend threat (though it looks very similar to the one we just came through, except I think it will cut more than shown just looking at h5)  It doesn't really matter to me, just thought it might be the thing to do.

Does everyone want to role with this thread for the upcoming two events?  We have the clipper and brutal cold to follow as well as the weekend threat (though it looks very similar to the one we just came through, except I think it will cut more than shown just looking at h5)  It doesn't really matter to me, just thought it might be the thing to do.

I say go w/ this thread for the clipper and brutal cold.  If another big event hits, I say we make a new thread.  Just my two cents.  But the threat has to be significant to make a new thread...not just something that is an inch or two.  The storm threads make it easier to find later if tagged correctly. 

I say go w/ this thread for the clipper and brutal cold.  If another big event hits, I say we make a new thread.  Just my two cents.  But the threat has to be significant to make a new thread...not just something that is an inch or two.  The storm threads make it easier to find later if tagged correctly. 

Yeah, my suggestion was based as much (if not more) on the cold air coming as the snow.  Getting down to 10 below or colder only happens once every 25-30 years.

I say stay with this one.

This winter, just an inch or two is a big event... :lol:

LOL, no doubt.  I hope we can have a few surprises with the arctic front.  Looks like a pretty good setup, and ratios should help those who get under the heaviest radar returns.

Agreed. The usual NW flow areas should cash in as well. Interestingly enough, those areas were victimized by downsloping winds and saw their slop totals slashed as a result.

The threat for this weekend is pretty low IMO.  There is just nothing to hold the cold in long enough.  I think that will become more and more evident as we get closer to Saturday.  

After going through the ice storm, and the snow showers tomorrow, followed by bitter cold temperatures, I am not sure many on here won't welcome a warm up and even a chance at rain by this weekend.

Yeah, my suggestion was based as much (if not more) on the cold air coming as the snow.  Getting down to 10 below or colder only happens once every 25-30 years.

If you all want to make a new thread, won't hurt my feelings at all.  Just was trying to make it easier on the folks managing all of this.  Honestly, the separate threads make it easier to find the events several years later for reference.  I don't have to dig through a massive thread to find the event.  So hey, go for it.  I am good either way. 

Archived