• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

Memphis NWS and Little Rock NWS have already issued SPS for their CWAs.  Little Rock is asking people to get prepared and start monitoring now.  I bet by tonight late night or tomorrow morning Little Rock maybe Memphis will have issued Winter Storm Watches, or at the least Winter Weather Advisories.

Add Paducah KY NWS to that list as well issuing SPS for their CWA for the coming event.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess what I am saying is that the NAM does not look like what is depicted on the UKMET or Euro.  Looks like northern stream energy only.  Is there a second event to follow the first that ejects from the soutwest?

There is a piece in the rockies at hour 84 but there isn't a second wave of this storm on the NAM.

I guess what I am saying is that the NAM does not look like what is depicted on the UKMET or Euro.  Looks like northern stream energy only.  Is there a second event to follow the first that ejects from the soutwest?

Take a look at the 250 jet streak and the vorticity map.  Not a bad look.  A little more backing in the flow and there would be a lot more precip.  This is also why the models are struggling IMO.  It's a delicate balancing act here and minor changes could result in much better or much worse looks.  Also, for anyone on our board, the model center has all this stuff.  I highly recommend it!

I guess what I am saying is that the NAM does not look like what is depicted on the UKMET or Euro. Looks like northern stream energy only. Is there a second event to follow the first that ejects from the soutwest?

There is a piece in the rockies at hour 84 but there isn't a second wave of this storm on the NAM.

It looks to me to be all northern stream energy on the NAM out to hour 84. Some northern energy is racing ahead of the main trough. The base of the trough is still way back in the Rockies at hour 84. But the orientation of the trough is positive tilted and it did not pick up the Baja low. The second wave of the storm isn't in the NAM's range yet but it looks like it is heading the direction of the GFS with no second waves. Fairly similar to me.

I think if we are going to get the big dog and the second wave, we need the Baja low to get picked up. The trough is not digging far enough southwest and the Baja low is getting left behind. I think that is the big difference from past runs. We are not getting the moisture from the southern stream in this scenario.

eeks....  12Z GFS not looking good so far...

Sizeable shift north with the heavier QPF, which at 6z was centered along the gulf coast.  Now it's centering between the southern to central gulf states.  

When you have the Ukie and Euro on your side, it's hard to see this as anything but an outlier at this point.

maps courtesy of americanwx's model suite.

Sizeable shift north with the heavier QPF, which at 6z was centered along the gulf coast.  Now it's centering between the southern to central gulf states.  

When you have the Ukie and Euro on your side, it's hard to see this as anything but an outlier at this point.

maps courtesy of americanwx's model suite.

The low placement on 102, and 108 if were to make small corrections north and west could bury plateau and eastward.

So I am suppose to believe a surface map that has surface low coming out of the north central gulf with a 1009 surface low in southwest GA at hour 102, tracking off the central SC coast while strengthening to 1004 by hour 108 that doesn't have a more expansive precip shield into TN?  Yeah, I doubt it.

As modeled, it's a classic east TN and southern apps snow track.

What I think happens.  

It's looking (to me) more and more likely to have more consolidated energy passing just to our south (Maybe a fairly weak Miller A), with an inverted trough across TN. I am not buying the two wave idea at the moment.  I still think this will be a pretty big qpf producer, but there will be mid-south winners and losers (as always).  Too early for discussing accumulations, but it's easily the best look of the year and might turn out to be the best one of the winter.

Archived