• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

Also, the 12z GEFS total 120 hour precip is a thing of beauty for cold and has .5+ over the entire state of TN and .75+ from the northeast corner of AL to the SE border of KY/VA - including pretty much ALL of east TN and 1" near Chattanooga.

I'm gonna ride the ensembles of all the models to victory!

12z GEFS snow mean:

OgUZwu0.gif

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I think happens.  

It's looking (to me) more and more likely to have more consolidated energy passing just to our south (Maybe a fairly weak Miller A), with an inverted trough across TN. I am not buying the two wave idea at the moment.  I still think this will be a pretty big qpf producer, but there will be mid-south winners and losers (as always).  Too early for discussing accumulations, but it's easily the best look of the year and might turn out to be the best one of the winter.

I agree,the HPC maps agree also,if that inverted trough is in the right spot we could get a nice thumping .The Euro and NAM latest runs show this,GFS not so

Op's will lead the way from here on out IMO...Has always been my experience that ensembles are good for weeding out "blips" in the model runs and for use in medium range forecasting.  However, Op's will spot trends the closer we get.  Ensembles will blur that pic.

I guess it's possible, but from the 6z gfs, only 5 of the individuals left the baja energy behind, including the OP.  I'd usually not go against 16/21 ensemble members, especially with the ukmet and euro pretty much showing the same thing. (ensembles included)

Pretty cool tool I just found on the EPS Euro Ensemble package.

This is generalized, but valid for the entire state of TN

There is a 90% chance of greater than 1" of snow

There is a 70% chance of greater than 3" of snow

There is a 50% chance of greater than 6" of snow

50% chances of 3" also extend down into the northern 1/3 of MS, AL, and GA fwiw.

Just now to where I can post.  Tnweathernut, I honestly don't know what will happen.  You all know I like the time period and that climo is going to win some battles...I just don't know if this is the battle it wins.  But it does have some qualities of a good snowstorm.  I don't like that the GFS is not on board.  It has led the way at times this winter.  At times, not.  The 12z Euro being steady is good.  How is the UKMET?  Honestly, at this point in the day I don't have as much time to post so I have a little less time to explain my thinking...thus, the short responses and questions.  I am really the type of person that will question things to make sure thinking is sound.  And you are correct, multiple members supporting a wetter solution is something I would side with, not against.  I do also know that the OP is usually first at picking-up trends.  Right now the system is still not well defined in the models and that gives me a great amount of pause.  I mean it could be strung out, consolidated into one piece, or be a long duration event...or it could be nothing.  I think the models are struggling w/ the energy in the southwest and not knowing which piece of energy to jump on.  I don't know either. 

Well, no matter my thinking...time to break the Nashville snow drought.  Looks like a slider like this would have a real chance of doing that.  So, good for those folks!  To me, verbatim, looks like a sold 3-6" snow statewide.  Where it lines up will determine the areas of greatest snowfall. 

Now, I do agree that the GFS does take a perfect track w/ an unusually small precipitation shield. This is event is not set in stone.  Energy that rides an Arctic boundary has usually been a good ticket here.  I will admit, I don't like it getting weaker w/ each run.  So, at this point, I think that is something to be watched. 

Really have to like where BNA is sitting right now.  Most of what the Euro shows falling is within hour 96 now, and BNA is on the northern edge of the heavier snows.  I hope it's right for you guys over that way!

I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.  I'm not going to get too excited until I can see the whites of its eyes..

Archived