Old Hickory AFD

ANOTHER WEAK FRONT WILL MOVE THROUGH THE MID-STATE SATURDAY. THIS
IS THE ONE THAT WILL GET A LOT OF PEOPLE`S ATTENTION AS IT COULD
BRING SOME LIGHT SNOW LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING...BUT IT
WILL USHER IN SOME VERY COLD TEMPERATURES FOR SUNDAY MORNING...AND
EVEN COLDER WIND CHILLS. NEGATIVE WIND CHILLS VALUES WILL BE COMMON
PLACE SUNDAY MORNING...WITH SOME FALLING TOWARDS -10 DEGREES F
AROUND SUNRISE SUNDAY ON THE CUMBERLAND PLATEAU. PLEASE KEEP THIS
IN MIND IF YOU WILL BE OUT FIRST THING SUNDAY.

AS EARLY AS MIDNIGHT SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING...MUCH OF THE
MEDIUM RANGE GUIDANCE IS SUGGESTING THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME
OVERRUNNING QPF TO MOVE INTO A VERY COLD ENVIRONMENT. FORECAST
SOUNDINGS CONTINUE TO SHOW MOISTURE PLENTY DEEP ENOUGH FOR CRYSTAL
FORMATION BUT HERE`S THE PROBLEM: MODELS ARE VERY INCONSISTENT IN
THE TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM`S SURFACE LOW MONDAY INTO TUESDAY. 12Z
GFS GUIDANCE SHOWS A TRACK AT LEAST 150 MILES FURTHER SOUTH THAN
EARLIER SOLUTIONS. THIS WOULD SUGGEST COLDER AIR AND A MORE WINTRY
FORECAST FOR US...BUT IF THIS SYSTEM CONTINUES TO TRACK EVEN
FURTHER TO THE SOUTH WITH FUTURE SOLUTIONS...WE MAY NOT EVEN SEE
ANY QPF. IF THE LOW DOES HOLD THE CURRENT TRACK ACROSS SOUTHERN
PORTIONS OF ALABAMA...QPF VALUES ACROSS SOUTHERN MIDDLE TN ON
TUESDAY ARE IN THE 0.25-0.50 INCH RANGE. ON A 10 TO 1 SNOW
RATIO...THIS WOULD BE 2 TO 5 INCHES OF SNOW...MOST OF WHICH WOULD
BE SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 40. NEEDLESS TO SAY FORECAST CONFIDENCE
CONTINUES TO BE LOW ATTM...BUT THIS IS WHERE CURRENT SOLUTIONS
STAND. WILL MAINTAIN CURRENT POP TRENDS FOR THE TIME BEING.

UKMET and Euro are in our camp.  I will take that all day long.  I am not sweating the 18z GFS.  It can get crazy.  Let's see what the 0z does.  Now, sometimes the 18z can sniff out a pattern...so, we will see.  But the Euro and UKMET have been pretty steadfast w/ this.  I would rather have the storm a tad to the south than on top of us at this point.  HOWEVER....this could be getting the shove due to cold HP right on its heels.  So, the ability to jog north(especially wes) may be limited.  My guess, this will come back w/ time just a bit.  I like where we sit at the moment.  Good trends today.  If it goes to Cuba, tomorrow...I might worry.  But I will take the 12z model suite over the 18z GFS any day, any time.  On the other hand, trends do matter.

18z GFS great for north MS, AL, and GA.  Not so good for TN.  Bet it jogs back north in a few runs.

I like the jog south at this stage of the game.  Especially since all winter jogs north in the short range have occurred.  I was worried earlier with all the snow in TN, that within the last few days it would be moved north to KY.

I'm not worried either, but I did have some concerns watching that Euro roll in.  For a minute there I thought the second wave was going to stay way south, but it eventually wiggled up enough to give us the goods.  Like Nut said, it's pretty much impossible for us to improve on the 12z suite.  We are bound to see some solutions going forward that are worse.  Just have to buckle our seat belts and see where this ends up.  I'm very very pleased with today's modeling.

+1, North Carolina board is notorious for ethno-centric posting.  I know everyone is capable of forgetting that their back yard is not reflective of the entire region but those guys almost never use qualifiers like Stove or others on our side.  Nothing more frustrating then reading 12 posts of doom and gloom only to realize they were talking about the NC coast which has a totally different set of dynamics at play them mid and west nc. 

31 big dogs for Knoxville on the 12z euro ensembles.  25 for Nashville, 20 for Memphis, 32 for Bristol, 28 for Chatt, 16 for Huntsville, 6 for Atlanta.

Quick question stove... The GFS was a lot further south on the latest run correct? What you have posted from the euro, is this the latest run as well? If so, I'm assuming it was quite a bit further north? 

This thing is coming back yalls way I bet.  What usually happens in my experience is it trends one direction too far then ticks back a bit. 

I normally would agree with you but it's been my experience that the tick back's usually occur in the NAM'S range, 24-48 hrs out.  We have another full suites of runs to keep trending further south which makes me nervous for TRI but might be looking great for the southern counties of tn valley.

As a comparison on track, last years big snow for East Tennessee during this time frame featured a weaker low than this one is being modeled at, tracking about 100-125 miles further South along the GOM than the 18z just showed that one. We were getting pounded by heavy snow when that LP was 100 miles south of Tallahassee. This one tracks right over or just north of Tallahassee.

Archived