Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z GFS looked to have about the same exact setup as this one but around hour 240 or so. We may be setting up for multiple big overrunning events in the next few weeks. This run looked better to me than 12z. The biggest runs of the year so far will be tonight.

My likely guess as to what happens is front end snow to sleet/zr to rain back to snow.

The 18z GFS looked to have about the same exact setup as this one but around hour 240 or so. We may be setting up for multiple big overrunning events in the next few weeks. This run looked better to me than 12z. The biggest runs of the year so far will be tonight.

My likely guess as to what happens is front end snow to sleet/zr to rain back to snow.

Euro at 12z had that setup again at 240 too fwiw.

JKL's take on the system.

ON MONDAY A LARGE
SCALE UPPER TROUGH WILL BEGIN TO TAKE SHAPE OVER THE ROCKIES AS A
WAVE DROPS SOUTH FROM CANADA. THIS WILL LEAD TO SURFACE LOW
DEVELOPMENT OVER NM OR TX ON MONDAY...WITH THE LOW THEN
TRANSLATING EAST ACROSS THE SOUTHERN UNITED STATE. BOTH THE ECMWF
AND GFS TAKE THE DEEPENING SURFACE LOW JUST EAST OF THE
APPALACHIANS IN THEIR LATEST RUNS...WITH A TRACK FAVORABLE FOR
SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER IN OUR AREA. WHILE THERE IS PLENTY OF
TIME FOR FORECAST CHANGES TO OCCUR...THIS SYSTEM DOES BEAR
POTENTIAL TO END THE SNOWFALL DROUGHT OF THIS WINTER.

0z Euro ensemble snow breakdown through hour 240, out of 51 members, big dog = 6 inches or more:

Memphis

Some snow - All

2+ inches - 32

Big Dogs - 12

Deterministic - 16 inches

Mean - 4 inches

Jackson

Some snow - All

2+ inches - 38

Big Dogs - 15

Deterministic - 16 inches

Mean - 4 inches

Nashville

Some snow - All

2+ inches - 44

Big Dogs - 21

Deterministic - 19 inches

Mean - 5 inches

Crossville

Some snow - All

2+ inches - 49

Big Dogs - 20

Deterministic - 13 inches

Mean - 6 inches

Knoxville

Some snow - All

2+ inches - 35

Big Dogs - 12

Deterministic - 10 inches

Mean - 4 inches

Chattanooga

Some snow - All

2+ inches - 37

Big Dogs - 8

Deterministic - 9 inches

Mean - 3.8

Bristol

Some snow - All

2+ inches - 49

Big Dogs - 21

Deterministic - 8.8 inches

Mean - 6 inches

Asheville

Some snow - All

2+ inches - 44

Big Dogs - 18

Deterministic - 6.2

Mean - 4.8

Huntsville

Some snow - 49

2+ inches - 24

Big Dogs - 4

Deterministic - 8.8

Mean - 2.2

I know I'm not in your area either. Can you give the numbers for Fayetteville, AR and Joplin?

Thanks!!!!

Fayetteville

Some Snow - All

2+ inches - 48

Big Dogs - 17

Mean - 5 inches

Regarding the UKMET, that last run was ALL snow for the TN valley, no mix or rain to contend with.  That was it's 3rd run in a row showing significant snowfall for our area.  Someone in the SE forum posted some verification charts that showed that model has been more accurate than the GFS.  Let's see if it can go for 4 in a row.

Fayetteville

Some Snow - All

2+ inches - 48

Big Dogs - 17

Mean - 5 inches

Regarding the UKMET, that last run was ALL snow for the TN valley, no mix or rain to contend with.  That was it's 3rd run in a row showing significant snowfall for our area.  Someone in the SE forum posted some verification charts that showed that model has been more accurate than the GFS.  Let's see if it can go for 4 in a row.

thanks a lot for all the info you provide the forum! The Ukie is intriguing. It's just so hard to buy into anything yet given how the models have generally trended from here on out this year. All the models have come south but I can just feel a northward trend coming soon. It almost always happens lol. I sure hope I'm wrong. FWIW the JMA and NAVGEM are well north of all other guidance. It was pointed out that the JMA only updates out to 144hr at 12Z so that run is almost 24hr's old.

Significant change on the 12z GFS... much farther south.

Very encouraged now...  Seeing the GFS come further south is starting to finally get me a little excited.  Though I still am still tempering enthusiasm... I'm still wary of our last storm moving way northward to give Chicago and Detroit all of our snow.

when looking at this possible storm, you have a massive, strong, cold HP push in ahead of this threat, and one coming in behind. This seems like it would have to thread the needle to end up giving rain this time... which is completely the opposite of what we normally deal with.

Yeah I agree its looking harder and harder to get rain from this.  It also looks like a snow that doesn't melt the next day which is also typical of our snows.  That part makes me happy.  I hate that most snows we get are gone by end of the next day.

I don't quite understand what MRX considers "model consistency" but it'll take some creative writing in their next AFD to ignore the trends.

Yeah I can't wait to see that.  A couple days back they felt it ok to say "Significant" snow possible, then over the last couple days became extremely conservative in wording.  

Archived