• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

The SREF mean has crept up slightly for Thursday, Nashville and Knoxville are now both a little over an inch. For this past Monday the mean was about a dusting which is what we ended up with.

I thought BNA would have a better chance with this system (if you can call it that), is downsloping cutting totals for KTRI?

I also think the timing on this could create slick spots and school issues on Thursday morning for some.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought BNA would have a better chance with this system (if you can call it that), is downsloping cutting totals for KTRI?

I also think the timing on this could create slick spots and school issues on Thursday morning for some.

Yeah, based on the school dismissals we saw over the dusting, an actual half to one inch falling when temps are 29 or so could result in widespread closings.  It would suit me fine.  No reason to risk it, and it's not uncommon to have buses in ditches with as little as that much snow around here.

0z Euro was pretty lame, the op has like one brief cold snap next week.  The control has light snow in north Georgia and western Carolinas.  The mean has light snow in east TN.

The upside of the recent modeling for me is that I may get my greens in the ground early this year!

Just checking the 0z Euro from last night and I noticed two main clusters for low locations at day 6.  One set from ne NC to se Virginia and another set from eastern GA into SC.  Not trying to give false hope,and I know it's a long shot, but if the second set is in play, then east TN/western NC might have something to at least keep an eye on.

Not trying to give false hope, but for several runs in a row the GFS has tried to drop a bit of snow on east TN this Thursday.  The Cobb is showing an inch for TRI and a half for TYS.  It's probably a northwest flow favored area thing so likely only a few flakes in the air at best for central valley but it's worth mentioning (this winter).  SREF indicates a dusting. 

John's house will likely get 2 inches.  If he drives to Nooga, 40 north will definately have a white ground.

:guitar:

For KTRI, I noted 39/51 euro ensemble members give greater than 2 inches of snow through their run, the majority of which start around 168-180.

Shawn in the SE forum has been giving a breakdown of eps members for various states (TN included). Check it out if you want to see different locations.

The 0z GEFS individuals have around 14/15 out of 21 with greater than 3 inch snows across a widespread area of TN, and the few that don't have snow even further south.

With the 6z GFS OP hopping on board, I would hope this is the start of something trackable for the TN Valley.

Generally speaking, The 6z GEFS mean shows greater than 2 inches for the eastern half of the state, growing larger the further east and north you go. From Knoxville to Tricities it's showing between 3-4+

It also shows 1-2 inches for much of the rest of the TN Valley.

To add to Nut's post about the ensembles, here is the breakdown for a few areas across the valley (0z Euro):

51 total members

Big Dog = 6 inches or greater

Memphis:

Some snow - 35

2 inches or more - 14

Big Dogs - 5

Jackson:

Some Snow - 40

2 inches or more - 22

Big Dogs - 6

Nashville:

Some Snow - 47

2 inches or more - 26

Big Dogs - 6

Crossville:

Some Snow - 50

2 inches or more - 34

Big Dogs - 8

Chattanooga:

Some Snow - 46

2 inches or more - 19

Big Dogs - 5

Knoxville:

Some Snow - 49

2 inches or more - 26

Big Dogs - 6

Bristol:

Some Snow - 50

2 inches or more - 39

Big Dogs - 12

12z GGEM is a mess of precip types. There's a 1 inch band of sleet from Nashville to the upper Cumberland as well as NW TN, 3/4's inch of ice around TRI, and a mix of everything across the valley. NC looks to get the worst of the ice on that run.

Yeah lots of QPF on the GGEM today. Big storm on that run. Awesome run on the 12z GFS. Really close on the GGEM on big snows. 1 foot plus covers most of Kentucky. I like the signals we are seeing for a bigger storm today. Good trends.

Maybe the discount tent won't be on sale anymore after this one.

Archived