joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro is jackpot! Unfortunately we know which way these things have trended this year. The Euro seems to have the upper energy more strung out than the GGEM and GFS which didn't let the warm nose get as far north. It also didn't dig as much south compared to the other 12z models. At least we now have something to track and the models are coming into a better consensus of a storm.

Just looking at the Euro ensembles, they still show a 2 to 4+ inch mean across the entire state of TN (gradient from south to north), BUT there are several more members with a track to our north and west.  I didn't want to see that, but I guess we can hug the OP run for about 10 more hours (or in my case 15 since I won't stay up for it)

Just looking at the Euro ensembles, they still show a 2 to 4+ inch mean across the entire state of TN (gradient from south to north), BUT there are several more members with a track to our north and west.  I didn't want to see that, but I guess we can hug the OP run for about 10 more hours (or in my case 15 since I won't stay up for it)

Yeah it's an uneasy feeling to be seeing such good things 7 days away.  At least we have the 3 major models mostly on board with a storm following crazy cold air.  Most of the times these fantasy clowns have been just a flash in the pan.  It'll be interesting to see the next couple of runs to see if there is consistency.  We're all thirsty for something to track, lawdy mercy.

MRX's afternoon discussion. I haven't read one of these things all winter lol.

THE MAIN WEATHER OF CONCERN IS STILL BEING ADVERTISED AS ARRIVING
LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY NIGHT. A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS SHOWN
TO DEVELOP OVER THE SOUTHERN PLAINS MONDAY...WITH GOOD AGREEMENT
BETWEEN GFS AND ECMWF...TAKING THIS LOW EASTWARD ACROSS THE GULF
COAST STATES ON TUESDAY.

A LARGE AREA OF ISENTROPIC LIFT WILL DEVELOP AND SHOULD SPREAD
PRECIPITATION INTO THE TN VALLEY AND SRN APPALACHIANS FROM 06Z
TUESDAY THROUGH 06Z WEDNESDAY. THE REAL PROBLEM THIS CREATES IS DUE
TO THE COLD ARCTIC AIRMASS IN PLACE. IF THE TRACK OF THE LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM STAYS JUST TO OUR SOUTH AS CURRENTLY INDICATED...
THEN A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL COULD OCCUR. UNDERCUT THE MAX TEMP GRID
FOR TUESDAY TO ADVERTISE MORE SNOW THAN RAIN.
WILL HIGHLIGHT THIS IN
THE HWO PRODUCT...AND WATCH AS WEEKEND DRAWS CLOSER TO FINE TUNE.

We will need to place our hopes in longer lasting cold.  If the system is weak enough (that appears to be a distinct possibility) we can place our hopes on a nice overrunning event with limited WAA.

Yes,  or we would need to the precip to move in faster before the cold gets shoved out. I would like to see in future runs the vortex/low in the northeast hold on as long as it can. We don't have a -NAO to help us out but this vortex could act like a pseudo -NAO if the timing is right. This would help to suppress the storm track. I would also like to see the upper energy flatter to keep the warm nose and further northwest track out of question. More digging of that shortwave will mean a bigger storm and a bigger warm nose. That is my biggest concern (our track of the low and associated warm nose trend northwest).  

So is there any mechanism that could budge this thing south over time or can we expect the typical NW trend?

Need to hold the tall ridge out west and it doesn't need to migrate ANY further west.  In fact, a little east of 12z would be great.  

Need the storm to absolutely blow up and crawl off the northeast coast this weekend.

Need the incoming high this weekend to be strong and for it to run into the roadblock thrown out by the storm mentioned above.

We can score with a Miller B (which this will likely be), but I'd really like to see the high coming behind it to speed up by 12-24 hours or so.

There are 31/51 individual eps members that show 2+ inches of snow for Gallatin in northern middle TN.  

The mean is showing over 4 inches and the OP is near 10.  

These are all increases from 0z.  I look at this area b/c it's where I grew up.

Interestingly, northeast TN individuals actually decreased, though still a great signal for wintry weather.

33 individuals have over 2 inches that begin between 120 and 168.

The OP has over 9 inches for KTRI through day 10 with a mean around 5 inches.

At his point, anything could happen.  I will watch closely the trend tomorrow.  I think we had one good run last time, and then it moved 300 miles to the north.  For example, the last one of these that looked good went to Detroit.  However, over time the southern track is a realistic track, meaning late season favors a more southern track(Gamble says this).  Again, climo and Nino are nice cards to have in hand at this point.  The CPC ensembles show the NAO taking a pretty significant dip(all of the way to neutral, if not a bit negative) right after mid-month.  The signal for a storm is there.  If not this one, then one upcoming.  With the brutal Arctice air in place, I am very concerned about an ice storm.  Looks like a pretty wild pattern on the way.  Maybe this will be one of these winters where winter begins Mid-February and rolls into March.  Certainly is beginning to get that feel.  Like I said...I hate Nino winters.  They require massive amounts of patience as most Nino winters don't deliver the goods until late in the season - if at all. Edit...Don't take that as a negative.  I have stated recently I am bullish on the upcoming pattern and remain equally so.

0z GFS wasn't a good run. Advertises an apps runner that is mostly rain. A lot of QPF though.

0z GGEM was much better. Most of the state is in the 4-6 inch range. It comes in 2 waves looks like. The southeast gets hit with a big ice storm.

Let's see what Dr. No has to say.

Considering how bad the OP has sucked lately at this time frame, I'd rather have the ensemble support. That being said, it's really a long way out so I'm not holding my breath.

Serious case of deja vu...  Earlier models Snow Snow, then now cutter (of sorts), with follow up deep south snow.  My guess is the coming models will be all rain with back side flurries and no deep south snow.  That is if what seems to be the repeat over and over with models this winter continues.  Craziness...  

So, from the 0z runs it's the GFS/Euro vs Ukie/CMC.

12z GFS is rolling.

If it's going to trend away from the past day or so and toward something wintry, it will likely begin to do so in the next 24-36 hours.  Time will tell.  Maybe the initial system goes to our west, then sets the table for Thursday"ish" next week.

If it's going to trend away from the past day or so and toward something wintry, it will likely begin to do so in the next 24-36 hours.  Time will tell.  Maybe the initial system goes to our west, then sets the table for Thursday"ish" next week.

The low behind the Tuesday system might get the job done (similar to 6z).  It'll be interesting to see how that progresses.

Archived