joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the short range models miss on this...that is awful. But yes, it certainly looks more robust to say the least.

Well, they didn't handle this last storm too well in both qpf and p-type.  Gulf waves of this sort can be the most tricky.  I've seen it before where southern valley was forecast for just flurries, then it over produce and give an inch or two in places.  I think models sometimes have a problem with the northern extent of precip on these. 

Winter Weather Advisory for north Alabama: 1/2 inch or less of snow predicted at this time.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=HUN&issuedby=HUN&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

I really hope this one gives Tennessee a break; you folks needs some time to recover from the last storm.

Peachtree city just followed suit for N GA.  I expect MRX will likely issue at least an SPS for Hamilton, Bradley, Polk, Cherokee and Clay NC.  

Well, they didn't handle this last storm too well in both qpf and p-type.  Gulf waves of this sort can be the most tricky.  I've seen it before where southern valley was forecast for just flurries, then it over produce and give an inch or two in places.  I think models sometimes have a problem with the northern extent of precip on these.

Exactly my point.

I didn't even know there was a Wednesday storm until tonight. The NAM looks good, the GFS is totally dry. That being said, the inevitable north trend can only help the southern valley with this setup. I've been stuck too close to the southern edge of the last 2 systems. SREF mean for KCHA is up to 4 inches (about where it was for last Monday's storm right before the bottom dropped out).

Tonight's possible light snowfall event kind of snuck up on me to be honest. 

Snippet from MRX AFD:

SURFACE RIDGING BUILDS INTO THE AREA FOR THIS AFTERNOON. FOR

TONIGHT AND TUESDAY...MODELS HAVE DIFFERENCES IN RESPECT TO HOW
STRONG JET DYNAMICS AND ASSOCIATED SURFACE INVERTED TROUGH DEVELOPS
OVER THE AREA. NAM IS THE STRONGEST. SOUNDINGS SHOW VERTICAL
PROFILE DEFINITELY COLD ENOUGH FOR SNOW REGION-WIDE.

WENT WITH A BLEND SOLUTION...BUT FAVORING SREF...WHICH SHOWS LIGHT
SNOWFALL FOR MOST OF THE AREA WITH THE MOST SIGNFICANT
ACCUMULATIONS OF THE FAR EASTERN TENNESSEE MOUNTAINS AND SOUTHWEST
NORTH CAROLINA. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES EXPECTED THERE
WITH 1 INCH POSSIBLE AT TYS AND CHA. CONFIDENCE IS NOT HIGH ENOUGH
TO WARRANT ISSUING A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW. BEST TO WAIT
FOR ANOTHER ROUND OF MODELS TO MAKE CALL ON ADVISORY. WILL
HIGHLIGHT IN THE HWO.

Current SREF means through tomorrow
CHA: 1.48
TYS: 1.36
TRI: 0.88

The higher elevations got more freezing rain around here this morning. Made for some slick roads. Wasn't cold enough in the valley. 34 IMBY this morning. I haven't ever seen snow develop on models as it is being shown for tonight. It looks like it would be affected by severe down sloing since the precip would come out of the East (very odd). I continue to be encouraged for Wednesday.

I honestly don't think it needs to move much north at all, At least from where it's sitting on the GFS. I just think it's once again severely under performing on the precip shield that a 1004 LP sitting in the northern GOM would prouduce. 

The big snow in February of last year had a 1004 LP sitting in almost the same exact spot as the 6z GFS and the precip shield was up to 64 in Kentucky.

I honestly don't think it needs to move much north at all, At least from where it's sitting on the GFS. I just think it's once again severely under performing on the precip shield that a 1004 LP sitting in the northern GOM would prouduce. 

The big snow in February of last year had a 1004 LP sitting in almost the same exact spot as the 6z GFS and the precip shield was up to 64 in Kentucky.

Good point, we've seen it time and time again.  Would be cool for everyone to get snow this time, for you and folks up in TRI area to add to their totals.  

Archived