joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, no kidding... Eastern sections of the valley will actually do quite well if this verifies 

. . and they will need to. We get nothing from the Wednesday system on the GFS.

FWIW, the local RPM based model that I glimpsed on TV a few minutes ago (WDEF) had about 0.5 in Chattanooga with amounts rapidly increasing to the east from there. Looked like 2-3" towards the mountains. Wednesday's storm looked like a monster down here on his in house model, but he didn't show a clown map for it.

. . and they will need to. We get nothing from the Wednesday system on the GFS.

FWIW, the local RPM based model that I glimpsed on TV a few minutes ago (WDEF) had about 0.5 in Chattanooga with amounts rapidly increasing to the east from there. Looked like 2-3" towards the mountains. Wednesday's storm looked like a monster down here on his in house model, but he didn't show a clown map for it.

I still think we have a pretty good shot for the Wednesday system, but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

It's definitely a very sharp cutoff on QPF for the first event, It really stands out on that RAP graphic Stove posted.

Here is the 18z RGEM, I didn't see it posted in here yet. 

post-10283-0-69122500-1424736864_thumb.p

Thanks Stove, btw the WRF is the model Mark Reynolds used to basically say no snow in the lower elevations of the Tricities tomorrow. I thought it was a pretty big risk on his part (or just plain laziness)....... as IF it does snow (as virtually EVERY other short range model shows) we could have thousands having to rearrange plans in the am. He'd have quite a bit of egg on his face. Of course it wouldn't be the first time. Not even the first time in the last week actually. lol

Has the criteria for winter weather advisory's changed lately?

If you don't issue it by 9:00 pm then it's too late for those that turn out the light's and head to bed.  Seems like pretty solid evidence for a widespread 1-3, 2-4 snow...

Thanks Stove, btw the WRF is the model Mark Reynolds used to basically say no snow in the lower elevations of the Tricities tomorrow. I thought it was a pretty big risk on his part (or just plain laziness)....... as IF it does snow (as virtually EVERY other short range model shows) we could have thousands having to rearrange plans in the am. He'd have quite a bit of egg on his face. Of course it wouldn't be the first time. Not even the first time in the last week actually. lol

Reynolds in house model gave me .5 inches last time and I ended up with 8-10 additional inches.  But I can't lie, I've seen those damn in house models score some wins over the last 5 years. 

I watched that earlier. He showed the Viper model which like you said looks like the WRF. That model, in my opinion, is not very good from what I remembered him showing for the past few years. He sounded very confident too in saying that the precip won't make it across the mountains. He is going against the HRRR, RAP, GFS,NAM,RGEM, and others. He used the words up to an inch at most. Not very wise wording to me especially after the big bust Saturday (which that was the models fault really).

The second storm is where I have my eye. Tonight is just bonus. The second storm would fit with the idea that a big storm accompanies a pattern transition. After this week, I think winter switches to the West. If we are lucky, the trough settles into the mid-section of the country for the new pattern. Been a great end to winter. Lots to follow. Would love to see everyone hit season norms for snow and below for temps. We have a shot at that.

Thanks for posting those.  Looks like they've jumped a couple of inches since last run.

No problem, I've been keeping an eye on them most of the day. 

This actually kind of reminds me of the 1/28/14 event from last winter that wasn't really modeled until about 24 hours out, and then trended upward most of the day leading up to it. 

Archived