joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential coastal storm 1/26-28

robertgny

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2000's have just been amazing for the ferocity and number of all types of weather 

extremes. The number of high end snow events continues to off the charts for such

a relatively short duration in time. You can add the February 2013 blizzard to the

list below which hammered Suffolk County.

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/BiggestSnowstorms.pdf

The 2000's have just been amazing for the ferocity and number of all types of weather

extremes. The number of high end snow events continues to off the charts for such

a relatively short duration in time. You can add the February 2013 blizzard to the

list below which hammered Suffolk County.

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/BiggestSnowstorms.pdf

How insane you get shut out all year then you drop your yearly average out of one storm and 4 days later there is another.

Looking at the 10M winds its not the 30 to 40 sustained across the island that get me , its one the duration plus the hurricane force gusts out in eastern Suffolk that are possible.

If you get 25 to 30 with 18 hours of those winds you gona see 10 ft drifts .

Sorry to be off topic here but..

So last night around 9PM i went on Craigs List to find a used but decent snow blower, I found a nice 8HP 24" one that was near new and ran mint, as i was loading in it up my Passat 4Motion i told the guy "Wow i got this just in time for a huge storm coming on Monday" Dude says, "no way.. Not going to happen" tells me he is only selling it because he thinks winter is a bust...

We shall see..

How insane you get shut out all year then you drop your yearly average out of one storm and 4 days later there is another.

Looking at the 10M winds its not the 30 to 40 sustained across the island that get me , its one the duration plus the hurricane force gusts out in eastern Suffolk that are possible.

If you get 25 to 30 with 18 hours of those winds you gona see 10 ft drifts .

This is just off the charts. I have never seen a comeback from a fish clipper to a full

bird KU blizzard in 96 to 72 without stronger signals longer range than we got.

This is just off the charts. I have never seen a comeback from a fish clipper to a full

bird KU blizzard in 96 to 72 without stronger signals longer range than we got.

attachicon.gifecmwf_mslp_uv850_eus_5.png

attachicon.gifecmwf_mslp_uv850_eus_4.png

What every snow lover should realize unlike some of our great storm in the past where they came on the backside of a retreating troughs only to have their snow melt in a week to 10 days , this opens up to a extremely cold and potentially active pattern.

We probably test 0. We snow again next weekend and the cold is then sustained.

May not see bare ground until March.

Blue wave, correct me if I'm wrong but, is Friday nights storm acting as a 50/50 impromptu blocking agent for this, which would also explain why models had it, and then lost once Friday's storm was in our area

sorry 2 jump in, 50 50 helps but the real key was the disturbance entering the coverage region.

sorry 2 jump in, 50 50 helps but the real key was the disturbance entering the coverage region.

That's the only thing holding me back a little here this. Phil was saying last nite the backside SW full sampling will be in the 12z suites today so if we hold serve. Then I really start buying the 25 inch amounts.

I think there was a period from the early 80's to the early 90's with one blizzard warning for the tri-state area. They have certainly increased in frequency the last dozen years.

There were just two issued...one for 4/6/1982 and the other 10 months later for 2/11/83. 

What every snow lover should realize unlike some of our great storm in the past where they came on the backside of a retreating troughs only to have their snow melt in a week to 10 days , this opens up to a extremely cold and potentially active pattern.

We probably test 0. We snow again next weekend and the cold is then sustained.

May not see bare ground until March.

The eye-like feature on the first visible satellite images Tuesday morning south of Long Island

is going to be icing on the cake.

The eye-like feature on the first visible satellite images Tuesday morning south of Long Island

is going to be icing on the cake.

attachicon.gifGFS_3_2015012506_F54_RH_500_MB.png

the eye and the dryslot 2 features to look out for.that dryslot is going to be a killer for whoever gets under it until the ccb swings back around from the nw.

One thing is for sure this is no ordinary clipper system,this baby is power loaded already it seems,once it hits the open waters of the Atlantic and seeks out the gulf stream power source it's going to be a monster.the current water vapor and satellite loops are already pretty impressive for this clipper as is.

i think most of the metro is good for 18-24"

forky/ or anyone,

do you have the Newark top 5/10 or 20 snow storms list anywhere?  I don't have my usual access and cant find a link on any searches.  It differs a bit from the NYC one.

thanks,

TOny

The initial over running tomorrow is the wildcard. Some areas could pick up several inches before the coastal arrives. That's part of what makes this system so epic on paper. Long duration, tons of moisture, intense winds. I think it has the potential to be a lot more widesoread than Boxing Day which really only had an intense but rather narrow band.

And then you have the insanely good temperature profiles. We're talking 2" QPF in places with higher than normal ratios. The ceilings the limit here.

forky/ or anyone,

do you have the Newark top 5/10 or 20 snow storms list anywhere?  I don't have my usual access and cant find a link on any searches.  It differs a bit from the NYC one.

thanks,

TOny

NYC has had 4 20"+ storms in the last 9 years and a total 6 of them over the last 19 years.   Prior to that they came every 30 years.   Cutoff used to be the high teens, but seems to have increased 10% in the last 20 years, meaning an addition .10"-.30" of liquid equivalent in the biggest storms.

NYC has had 4 20"+ storms in the last 9 years and a total 6 of them over the last 19 years.   Prior to that they came every 30 years.   Cutoff used to be the high teens, but seems to have increased 10% in the last 20 years, meaning an addition .10"-.30" of liquid equivalent in the biggest storms.

Thanks, good with NYC.  I don't have access to my NJ data and wanted to list Newark's top snows like Blue has done for the city.

Archived