joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential coastal storm 1/26-28

robertgny

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this is still conservative considering the ratios could be closer to 15:1 - 17:1 ... 

hmmm, 10:1-12:1 is more like it for most of us here. it's cold but not that cold to really produce that type of ratios. the consensus looks like a -6 to -10C 850mb and that's when the system really bombs out just southeast of LI. you'll probably find those ratios north of us though.

Looks that way through hr 42 doing a compare to the 48 hr 00zNAM

I expect there to be more snow this run in the area, although nothing like the GFS/Euro/GGEM show.

NAM doing something funky down by DC though, looks like it wants to give DC something like 10 inches of snow.  It is a weird setup, but it doesn't mean it can't verify.  

This run is going to be 2-4" snow in and around NYC, up to 6-12" for LI, and thebigtime stuff 15-20" for SNE right around Boston. Its just a bit scary seeing it literally a few hundred miles off of the euro with the big snows......not even close.....I at least hope to see it most west, a lot, tomorrow

NAM is further west with precip shield but is weaker overall with the system. We should be giving this 0% weight on a model blend just entertainment value. The Euro or a Euro/CMC/GFS blend seems a much more reasonable solution to me.

i dont think it is fair to give zero weight to the NAM 36 hours from the event, especially when it isnt completely on an island alone (see UKmet)

why do you think ratios will be that high? 17-1 is pretty rare. and there looks to be some decent wind with this storm.

Because of what I wrote a while back in the ggem. I was reading what the model was showing and they must have thought I was expecting 17:1.. 15:1 is a good shot though

Archived