• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential coastal storm 1/26-28

robertgny

I know. I'll definitely be tuned to the webcams on Tuesday though. Long Beach is the best place to be during a blizzard-Boxing Day was amazing there even when the falling snow tapered off. Winds should easily gust to 60 and make for some 4-5 foot drifts easy. If anyone can get down to the Boardwalk I'd advise going for a nice Jebwalk.

The forecast for Austin on Tuesday-sunny and 74 for the high.

Yes a jebwalk is def in order! I prolly won't make it down to Long Beach, but just walking the neighborhood in a raging BLIZZARD would suffice. So we have close to a zero chance for mix? Even for the beaches and the twin forks?

And btw, I think the proper way to spell the "b" word is that it should be in caps, lol. Especially when it's used to refer to one that's coming! :D

I mean this with all sincerity, enjoy the great (boring @ss) weather in Austin! With the web cams, pics, and this site .. You'll be able to VPN into all the excitement.

-Jason

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, we will see half of what the 00Z EURO is showing at the bullseye area. The EURO might have overdid it, but it can still be a full blown HECS. 

All the precip fields are just so tight its scary.  I want this thing to happen as much as the next guy but we have to be honest that we're 50-100 miles away from a 3-6" storm. 

Yes a jebwalk is def in order! I prolly won't make it down to Long Beach, but just walking the neighborhood in a raging BLIZZARD would suffice. So we have close to a zero chance for mix? Even for the beaches and the twin forks?

And btw, I think the proper way to spell the "b" word is that it should be in caps, lol. Especially when it's used to refer to one that's coming! :D

I mean this with all sincerity, enjoy the great (boring @ss) weather in Austin! With the web cams, pics, and this site .. You'll be able to VPN into all the excitement.

-Jason

Ehh, maybe I'll have a baseball-sized hail and EF4 tornado-packing supercell come through in April. Take that!!

All the precip fields are just so tight its scary. I want this thing to happen as much as the next guy but we have to be honest that we're 50-100 miles away from a 3-6" storm.

It's okay to be cynical because the cutoffs are actually really close. If this were to shift some 50 miles east the totals would decrease dramatically and there's plenty of time for some adjustments. I still believe in our area LI is sitting pretty

What could have made the models overamped in the runs? I mean the pressure drops nearly 30mb in 24 hours.

It's about the energy hitting the Atlantic, negatively tilting and being able to spin a storm up. The pattern is temporarily made favorable by today's storm leaving the scene and hopefully the rest will soon be history.

Back in March 2001 techonogly WAS way different with the models. Anyway, what happened march 2001? Also, remember that its january, I dont think u can really compare the two.

Exactly.  An iPhone 6 has more processing power than the supercomputers they used in 2001 to run the models.

WPC bashes the ECMWF again:

CLIPPER-TYPE SYSTEM CROSSING THE EAST COAST SUN NIGHT ANDSTRENGTHENING COASTAL LOW OFF OF NEW ENGLAND ON TUE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 00Z GFS / 00Z ECMWF THROUGH 12Z/27 BLEND OF 00Z GFS / 12Z EC MEAN BETWEEN 12Z/27-12Z/28CONFIDENCE: BELOW AVERAGETHERE HAS BEEN A DRAMATIC SHIFT IN THE GUIDANCE SINCE YESTERDAY TOBE CLOSER TO THE NORTHEAST COAST TUE MORNING REGARDING A SURFACELOW...PARTIALLY DUE TO A STRONGER RIDGE OVER THE SRN HIGH PLAINSAND DOWNSTREAM UPPER TROUGH SHARPER AND WEST OF PREVIOUS RUNS.TAKING A LOOK AT 12Z/27...F060 HRS...THE LATEST ENSEMBLEDISTRIBUTION OF SURFACE LOWS FROM 12Z/24 SHOWS THE ECMWF MEMBERSSTRONGLY CLUSTERED TO THE WEST OF THE RELATIVELY WELL CLUSTEREDGEFS WHILE CMC MEMBERS ARE SCATTERED ACROSS BOTH REGIONS. SUBTLERUN TO RUN CHANGES TRANSLATE INTO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT DIFFERENCESACROSS NEW ENGLAND.THE CURRENT THINKING IS CLOSE TO WPC CONTINUITY BUT ADJUSTED FORTHE LATEST GUIDANCE WHICH SHOWS THE 00Z GFS AND 00Z ECMWF CLOSE TOWHAT IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR UNTIL ROUGHLY 12Z/27...AT WHICH POINTTHE 00Z ECMWF STARTS TO STRAY FROM THE PACK IN HOLDING THE SURFACELOW MORE SOUTH WHILE BETTER ENSEMBLE CLUSTERING AND THE LATESTMEANS LIE TO THE NORTH. THIS PREFERENCE REFLECTS MODEL TRENDS ANDIS AWAY FROM THE EDGES OF THE ENSEMBLE CLUSTERING. HOWEVER...POORRUN TO RUN CONTINUITY AND ABOVE AVERAGE ENSEMBLE SPREAD LOWERSCONFIDENCE FOR THIS FORECAST.www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/model2.shtml...www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/h5pref/h5pref.shtml...OTTO

03z sref weakens the storm and shifts the precip shield east and really tightens up the spread. I mean **** I dont want this be to true but we can't just dismiss it

Again, storms like this always have a very tight gradient. There won't be the gradual decrease in precip west like previous model runs had. It will almost certainly be a blizzard in one place and 50 miles west flurries. Huge lift over where it's snowing=sinking air west of the snow shield. 

We're close enough in now that this should be a real trend. March 2001 was supposed to be huge 3-5 days out and then the storm decided to blow up too late and nail only New England and eastern LI.

DT is absolutely right about Manitoba Maulers being dangerous when they can get trapped over the Atlantic near the New England/NJ coast. Some of the worst blizzards in our history have come from those events-Maulers have tons of energy and when they meet up with the Atlantic and can cut off, watch the fook out.

I agree the models are better now, but most mets were still touting 1-2 feet of snow as late as 12 hours before the storm was slated to start. Huge bust.  That was the storm during which I started communicating with Craig Allen by email (and we continue to do so today once in awhile - he's a very nice, helpful guy).  

Archived