joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential coastal storm 1/26-28

robertgny

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Becomes amateur hour in here late night people comparing the sref's (way out of range) the nam (way out of range) and even the rpm for god sakes vs the ggem the euro the gfs and gfs ensembles bunch op people need some time in the penalty box

I made the RPM post in jest...

Becomes amateur hour in here late night people comparing the sref's (way out of range) the nam (way out of range) and even the rpm for god sakes vs the ggem the euro the gfs and gfs ensembles bunch op people need some time in the penalty box

Honestly this is wishcasting.  How can you say models specifically built for sub 84 hour forecasts are out of range at 48 hours?  I love the euro, I really do, but god damn its so absurd its hard to believe with mesoscale support

It's definitely not wetter and has shifted the 1" contour further east. Today will be full of nudges though it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. I would start off conservatively for the city and go from there.

I believe the 03z SREF is influenced by 00z nam data and that would explain the nudge east.  The individuals will shed light.  Either way 0.8 - 1.0 for NYC area.  Not bad.  ECM much more dependable.

Honestly this is wishcasting.  How can you say models specifically built for sub 84 hour forecasts are out of range at 48 hours?  I love the euro, I really do, but god damn its so absurd its hard to believe with mesoscale support

The SREFs are definitely out of range.  The NAM, well it's the NAM.

Slightly east which doesn't make a difference

There's a consensus forming. The 12z euro is as far west as it could go but it's an outlier and majority models are a bit further east. I think a lot will depend on how intense the low becomes as they can sometimes tuck in closer to the coast. I would start the city off 8-12" and go from there.

Honestly this is wishcasting. How can you say models specifically built for sub 84 hour forecasts are out of range at 48 hours? I love the euro, I really do, but god damn its so absurd its hard to believe with mesoscale support

With all due respect the nam at 50 plus hours out is laughable maybe even beyond. Read more post none

With all due respect the nam at 50 plus hours out is laughable maybe even beyond. Read more post none

its not though, its really not.  Expectations may be set too high for it due its short range nature but its not that much worse than the globals within this range.  Would you be singing the same tune if it was copycatting the euro atm?

its not though, its really not.  Expectations may be set too high for it due its short range nature but its not that much worse than the globals within this range.  Would you be singing the same tune if it was copycatting the euro atm?

Dude, honestly the NAM is not that good of a model.  Comparing it to the Euro is..., well, it's not a good idea.

Lol it's pretty difficult for me to get sleep when stuff like this is happening. My wife thinks i'm absolutely insane.....that's why she is a smart woman ! ;)

I was in high school when PDII happened but I can definitely sympathize. My parents were asking me how I could possibly go outside when I hadn't slept in over a day, and shoveled the front of our house (admittedly with some help haha).

There's a consensus forming. The 12z euro is as far west as it could go but it's an outlier and majority models are a bit further east. I think a lot will depend on how intense the low becomes as they can sometimes tuck in closer to the coast. I would start the city off 8-12" and go from there.

Confused how the euro is being labeled an outlier when 3 other models showed the same trend. The only one that isn't on board with a western pattern is the NAM.

its not though, its really not. Expectations may be set too high for it due its short range nature but its not that much worse than the globals within this range. Would you be singing the same tune if it was copycatting the euro atm?

This statement is either blatant trolling or I don't know what please please stop.

EURO is definitely an outlier and has been preforming terribly this season. Most models have NYC good for at least a foot which would not be a BECS or a HECS, but still a nice, tidy storm. I'm looking for a 24 hour range in which NYC can break 12" since 2010. I think this is the storm that will do it.

The Euro has been performing terribly this season? That's news to me. And a 12+ inch storm is more than nice, it's freakin awesome.

Image to save (actually been saving a few already)... I was in shock and silence for a good minute when I saw this image.  Screams Feb 78.   Amazing day, hopefully it continues into Sunday and Monday. 

If this verifies, we'll see it in future textbooks....

post-1996-0-11666800-1422171695_thumb.pn

You can't just decide to end an argument by calling someone a troll.  If I knew where to find verification scores I would post them which would end this argument one way or the other.  I honestly don't know if the nam is that terrible at this range,  I'm only assuming that claim is a subjective bias.  If you have the verification to prove otherwise, then post it and the matter will be settled.

The NAM is that terrible at this range, it has been known for years all over the weather community whether it's winter weather, severe weather, tropical weather, you name it.

EURO is definitely an outlier and has been preforming terribly this season. Most models have NYC good for at least a foot which would not be a BECS or a HECS, but still a nice, tidy storm. I'm looking for a 24 hour range in which NYC can break 12" since 2010. I think this is the storm that will do it.

The Euro picked up on the further west/warmer solution for the previous storm before the other models did.  Sure it wasn't a miller B but still... again since Sandy I think most on this board are in the "Euro is king" camp...

Archived