• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential coastal storm 1/26-28

robertgny

Just remember that NAM is a piece of garbage. At least we have the Euro on this which is good. But the NAM catching up on this so quickly makes me nervous--it could be a signal that the Euro (the best model) would drop it. If the Euro sees the NAM doing this, it will want NO part of this storm!!....lol. Guilt by association.

WX/PT

Lol not unless it was truly meant to be I guess. Remember the "ole EE rule"? Time shall tell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and it has support from the best model on planet earth...both those models show a good snowstorm for nyc and a blizzard for pretty much all of Li and sne...

The Euro went overboard with this current system for a couple of runs too by developing a huge CCB and a near blizzard from Philly on northeast. It has its flaws too. 

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility but it just seems a stretch to me that NYC would see a significant event given the pattern (that means I wouldn't disagree with a few inches maybe). The NAO and AO still aren't very favorable and the pattern is progressive. Eastern New England and maybe eastern LI are a different story because the system has a lot of energy and the negative tilt means it should go to town somewhere.

The 1st place I would want to be is in SNE but Long Island is a close 2 nd . Right now this gets the city and Eastern third of NJ. .

All that is needed is this get tugged 50 miles west off the Delmarva

There is some strong VV all the back to state college at hour 66 and 72 so we just need another tick west and its gets most of us.

So yes only 2 models see it. But 1 happens to be the euro. Lets wait for a little more continuity and the risk is always wide right as it could always deepen 50 miles east and then it crushes New England.

Both are on the table. I am leaning west. Why wouldn't I

Just remember that NAM is a piece of garbage. At least we have the Euro on this which is good. But the NAM catching up on this so quickly makes me nervous--it could be a signal that the Euro (the best model) would drop it. If the Euro sees the NAM doing this, it will want NO part of this storm!!....lol. Guilt by association.

WX/PT

Would like to see model on this solution tomorrow. Before buying it. Do you think the vortex over lifting out of SE Canada prior is forcing amplification?

I would think NENJ from Middlesex County on north would get around 6-10" of snow give or take a couple of inches depending on ratios which I would think would be at least 10:1 and probably higher, the NAM is showing 0.50"-0.75" of precipitation. 

Verbatim, NAM the garbage model is showing a 6-10" storm for ne NJ and NYC, at least a 10-16" storm for Long Island with the higher number in that range out east, the lower numbers western LI.

WX/PT

The 1st place I would want to be is in SNE but Long Island is a close 2 nd . Right now this gets the city and Eastern third of NJ. .

All that is needed is this get tugged 50 miles west off the Delmarva

There is some strong VV all the back to state college at hour 66 and 72 so we just need another tick west and its gets most of us.

So yes only 2 models see it. But 1 happens to be the euro. Lets wait for a little more continuity and the risk is always wide right as it could always deepen 50 miles east and then it crushes New England.

Both are on the table. I am leaning west. Why wouldn't I

Working in Eastern CT all week.  Seems like a good place to be.

phil882 mentioned last night that the 00z Euro was the first model run that was able to sample the shortwave after it made landfall in British Columbia and thought that might be partly responsible for the dramatic shift west. Hopefully it continues.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45438-model-discussion-for-late-january-into-february/?p=3285906

I haven't looked into this event at all, until now, as the coastal storm impacting us today has huge implications on what the Monday event will do. With the outcome of this current storm pretty much finally set in stone, it's very promising to see the models coming back west with this. With that said, we still have to be cautious. I think model runs through the end of today will be critical, as this storm evolves into our new 50/50 low. The tendency so far has been to weaken it slightly and shift it ever so slightly north: yesterday's 12z GFS, 952 mb low ~ 200 miles south of Greenland to today's 6z GFS 956 mb low 100 miles south of Greenland. This has reduced the amount of downstream blocking (confluent flow) enough such that we are now seeing a track that is much closer to the coast around our latitude.

WX/PT

I would lean in the direction right now that its mostly an ERN LI and SNE event, the NAM's typical placement of features beyond 60 hours would suggest its too far W with this.  I won't buy whatever the GFS shows because its been so bad, it probably will show a miss even for SNE.

I would lean in the direction right now that its mostly an ERN LI and SNE event, the NAM's typical placement of features beyond 60 hours would suggest its too far W with this.  I won't buy whatever the GFS shows because its been so bad, it probably will show a miss even for SNE.

meh with all do respect i dont really believe the whole NAM is always too far west argument for a second...if anything with this storm that just happened it was too far east 60 hours out or so

SO   let me guess this straight ... the  NAM which on previous run had the  main snow over  MD  DC  BWI  has turned  strongly to the  euro  but  its   piece of   garbage ?

Verbatim, NAM the garbage model is showing a 6-10" storm for ne NJ and NYC, at least a 10-16" storm for Long Island with the higher number in that range out east, the lower numbers western LI.

WX/PT

Archived