joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential coastal storm 1/26-28

robertgny

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont even know which model is worst..but. How can we say the monday storm will be south just because it shows that now..if i recall this same model was showing the saturday storm 200 miles east..like 4 runs ago.

The pattern does not really support the track being far enough north for us here, I would not be surprised if even Philly partially is screwed in the end, we may get in on it again if and only if the shortwave really amplifies and is able to turn up the coast slightly.  Someone mentioned 3/8/84 in the MA thread, we need it to do that.

The pattern does not really support the track being far enough north for us here, I would not be surprised if even Philly partially is screwed in the end, we may get in on it again if and only if the shortwave really amplifies and is able to turn up the coast slightly. Someone mentioned 3/8/84 in the MA thread, we need it to do that.

Yeah the pattern didnt support the saturday storm coming up the coast neither. If i recall this was OTS..and most said the same thing. The pattern supported to move ots thru the south.

We've had this issue more than once now of clippers digging too much and exiting too far south. The progressive pattern also prevents them from strengthening too much and turning more northerly before they're gone. I'd venture a guess at this point that this will be another such occasion. The ridge out west looks fairly amplified, and there's no blocking to the north to slow down whatever dives south so it can turn left. From the looks of it, there's a shot at a narrow area of good snow around the M/D line and just south, especially inland. DC's temps look to be borderline as does coastal NJ. In the cold enough air up around NYC, there doesn't look to be much precip. Same story, different day this winter. 

Yeah the pattern didnt support the saturday storm coming up the coast neither. If i recall this was OTS..and most said the same thing. The pattern supported to move ots thru the south.

I was one of those who said early that this should come up the coast, and it is-just as a strung out mess that won't be able to generate much frozen precip-where it's too warm takes up most of the precip. Progressive +AO/+NAO patterns suck. :(

This storm really reminds me of Jan 22 / 2005. Look at Narr renalysis...and this looks quite similar. The clipper dog pretty south and closed off. The gfs is more neg tilt at 00z and will likely close off on future runs.   Ukmet below.GZ_D5_PN_096_0000.gif

The big difference is that the Arctic Oscillation was negative and diving at the time this storm turned into a blizzard. The rapidly developing blocking contributed greatly to how things unfolded. In contrast, the AO is forecast to be positive on Monday. That increases the prospects of a more progressive solution with a wider turn than what occurred in 2005.

The big difference is that the Arctic Oscillation was negative and diving at the time this storm turned into a blizzard. The rapidly developing blocking contributed greatly to how things unfolded. In contrast, the AO is forecast to be positive on Monday. That increases the prospects of a more progressive solution with a wider turn than what occurred in 2005.

Its really too bad Don, the position of that high is a beauyiful sight & the air mass would assist with some nice ratios. It really rfelects how difficult it is to get 6+ systems into all major I95 cities (south of BOS)

Its really too bad Don, the position of that high is a beauyiful sight & the air mass would assist with some nice ratios. It really rfelects how difficult it is to get 6+ systems into all major I95 cities (south of BOS)

Boston's in the same dinky boat as everyone else this year. El Nino seasons very rarely treat them better than the other cities (weak Ninos like 04-05 can be exceptions), and in some Ninos such as 09-10 they often get shafted by suppression.

Boston's in the same dinky boat as everyone else this year. El Nino seasons very rarely treat them better than the other cities (weak Ninos like 04-05 can be exceptions), and in some Ninos such as 09-10 they often get shafted by suppression.

Yes its true the EC has , largely suffered equally. Even PWM is down siginficantly from historical

We just can't seem to get a sustained -AO this year.  (and -NAO)

Archived