Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January 25-26th Clipper

wisconsinwx

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Son of Alek

At the end of the day, even an optimistic low track over IKK just isn't historically good for us, especially when the antecedent airmass is schwaggy. I wouldn't rule out a sloppy inch or two north of I88 but this doesn't look too interesting for metro Chicago. Moneybags through metro Detroit are a little more interesting in the 2 to 5 range but again, nothing wild.  LE prospects look marginal at best.

At the end of the day, even an optimistic low track over IKK just isn't historically good for us, especially when the antecedent airmass is schwaggy. I wouldn't rule out a sloppy inch or two north of I88 but this doesn't look too interesting for metro Chicago. Moneybags through metro Detroit are a little more interesting in the 2 to 5 range but again, nothing wild.  LE prospects look marginal at

best.

This is never a beneficial 850 low track for us:

post-9209-0-59468600-1421959514_thumb.gi

can't wait to bust out the wagons south gif

Quad cities always comes through:

FEELING IS A MORE SOUTHERLY TRACK PERHAPS CLOSER

TO ECMWF OR BLENDED WITH GFS REASONABLE. AS PREVIOUS SHIFTS HAVE MENTIONED

THE ORIENTATION OF THE LEFT EXIT REGION OF 150+ KT JET WITH COMPACT

SHORTWAVE TROUGH FAVORS MORE DIGGING OF SYSTEM WHICH FITS CONCEPTUALLY WITH

SYSTEM ENTERING LONGWAVE TROUGH. THIS WOULD SUPPORT MORE SOUTHERLY TRACK

WHICH IS ALSO HINTED BY GFS ENSEMBLE WITH ITS LARGEST STANDARD DEVIATION

IN 500 MB HEIGHTS OVER EASTERN IA/NORTHWEST IL SUNDAY 12Z.

This is looking like one of those setups where relying on the 850 mb 0C line is really not a good idea. 

Image on the left is 18z GFS 850 mb temps valid 18z Sun.  Seems pretty good...heck, even below 0C here.

Then there's the 2m temp image on the right, also valid 18z Sun.  Pretty big displacement between the 850 mb 0C line and the 2m 0C line.

Of course, good rates with temps around/slightly above freezing could mitigate the issue to some extent.

post-14-0-23040400-1421965702_thumb.png

Besides the 2005 Super Clipper, another good analog that hasn't been mentioned is the January 15, 2004 Clipper...

011412.png

011418.png

011500.png

I remember that one very well, Mount Pleasant got crushed with that event. Here is the snow map from GRR for that event:

SY8JZdb.png

And DTX's Snow map

snow200401150241.png

00z GFS is actually south of the 12z EURO...

2-4" looks like a good bet here...

If that happens it would be the 5th event of the winter that dropped between 2-4" for a majority of metro-Detroit. You would not be a happy camper lol. Heres to 3-6" (Although, an amount of 3-4" technically does fall into either range lol.)

If that happens it would be the 5th event of the winter that dropped between 2-4" for a majority of metro-Detroit. You would not be a happy camper lol. Heres to 3-6"

Yep. I'll be officially over this winter and hoping it ends early, especially with no relief as far as big storm potential in sight.

These nuisance snows that just get in the way of my daily routine without actually being anything to write home about are doing nothing for me...

Yep. I'll be officially over this winter and hoping it ends early, especially with no relief as far as big storm potential in sight.

These nuisance snows that just get in the way of my daily routine without actually being anything to write home about are doing nothing for me...

Well obviously I enjoy them and will take every one Mother Nature dishes out, but for someone like you I can understand. There have already been numerous brutal commutes this month without a big storm to show.

Well obviously I enjoy them and will take every one Mother Nature dishes out, but for someone like you I can understand. There have already been numerous brutal commutes this month without a big storm to show.

And it wouldn't be as bad if they weren't happening so frequently or if bigger snowstorms were mixed in (I.E. 2007-2008). But yeah, neither is the case as my user title is clearly right on the money. :lol:

It's like playing Plinko with the chips only landing in the $500 and $1000 slot. While not as bad as every chip landing in the $0, it just doesn't compare to the excitement you feel when at least one of those chips land in the $10,000 slot.

All of that said, the system is still 72 hours and the east coast storm that will dictate its evolution hasn't even developed yet. So potential is still there or something nice despite tonight's runs, granted it's hard to expect anything more than what we've been seeing so far with these clippers as the trend can't be denied.

If once we're in 24-36 hours the picture hasn't improved, I will be lighting up the Complaint thread...

Archived