• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Discussion for Late January into February

ORH_wxman

Unfortunately the Euro has been pretty consistent with a miss (or just nuisance snows).

Don't think this one has much chance of being a solid event. Doesn't mean it won't snow at all though.

No, I know. I never believed the GFS's megastorm solutions because it was on its own. It doesn't seem to have a very good handle on it, so I don't trust it now either...unlike the last clipper, when it started showing very good consistency with its track to the south.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking the same way...nice look.  Although the last few years, we seem to get the storms when things look sh***y, like in Feb 2013, and tomorrow's set up has alot to be desired as well...but it just may deliver lol.

Feb '13 didn't look shtty, it was actually identified as a period to watch several days prior, but originally was more around the 6th and slowed down by a few days.

The issue with Feb '13 was that nobody actually believed it would happen because of all the storms that were modeled to come up the east coast in January only to get more and more progressive as they got closer. That, and the GFS couldn't find its own behind with it.

Feb 2013 was seen by the Euro around 5-6 days out and it was on it's own for about 3 full cycles...it was only around 84-96 hours that other guidance started latching on.

If you recall, the Euro had several false alarms in that 120-144 hour period that season up to that point, so it was a little bit tough to believe it at first on its own.

Feb 2013 was seen by the Euro around 5-6 days out and it was on it's own for about 3 full cycles...it was only around 84-96 hours that other guidance started latching on.

If you recall, the Euro had several false alarms in that 120-144 hour period that season up to that point, so it was a little bit tough to believe it at first on its own.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/39089-feb-6th-cdc-has-great-teleconnector-support-cpc-not-sure-what-the-deal-is-there/

I remember that event...we got a half inch of snow. It was overnight on Feb 5-6.

But you can see how the Euro was showing the big one by that point because people were discussing the 2/8 threat in that thread before we told them to keep the discussion about the 6th.

I remember that event...we got a half inch of snow. It was overnight on Feb 5-6.

But you can see how the Euro was showing the big one by that point because people were discussing the 2/8 threat in that thread before we told them to keep the discussion about the 6th.

My only point was that Tip started that thread because he recognized a favorable teleconnection/mjo pattern emerging from the period of around the 6th through the 10th. Not that a specific shortwave was identified 10 days out to become a blizzard.

My only point was that Tip started that thread because he recognized a favorable teleconnection/mjo pattern emerging from the period of around the 6th through the 10th. Not that a specific shortwave was identified 10 days out to become a blizzard.

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing that we didn't have a bit of support for something...just that the Euro was on its own for several days.

We told people back in mid-January the pattern should be much better over the next several weeks, and nobody believed it because they hadn't gotten any snow in a completely different pattern previously...then got impatient when it didn't snow for the first 10 days of the new pattern.

Oh yeah, I'm not arguing that we didn't have a bit of support for something...just that the Euro was on its own for several days.

We told people back in mid-January the pattern should be much better over the next several weeks, and nobody believed it because they hadn't gotten any snow in a completely different pattern previously...then got impatient when it didn't snow for the first 10 days of the new pattern.

No arguments here. But back to the original point, the pattern leading up to the blizzard did not look particularly sh***y. The idea that the best snow events always seem to happen when the pattern looks unfavorable is an old wives' tale.

Good patterns = good chances. Over and out.

No arguments here. But back to the original point, the pattern leading up to the blizzard did not look particularly sh***y. The idea that the best snow events always seem to happen when the pattern looks unfavorable is an old wives' tale.

Yeah it wasn't an awful pattern...Feb 2013 did lack a big WC ridge though, which is a little out of character for a KU event...but we had a really nice southern stream shortwave phasing in to help compensate.

I believe you misinterpreted my post JC, all I was saying was that we seem to be getting bigger storms, that have less than an ideal look to the set up as of late..that's all.  I wasn't saying that all the big storms come with a bad set-up, not at all.  And I agree, good patterns do yield good chances.  But not always either...last March was a great pattern almost all month long, and Nothing happened at all...it all went south, and way south at that.

And the Blizzard of 13 had a -PNA, and a positive NAO, (positive AO?? not sure) and even snowgoose agreed that the set-up wasnt very conducive for a Monster storm like that.  But we had other factors take over like the perfect phasing and cold cold air..and we got it.  

That's the beauty of the weather, sometimes it surprises you when you least expect it.  But things do look quite nice for the period you mentioned...let's hope something pops for all of us, it would be fun. :-)

And the Blizzard of 13 had a -PNA, and a positive NAO, (positive AO?? not sure) and even snowgoose agreed that the set-up wasnt very conducive for a Monster storm like that.  But we had other factors take over like the perfect phasing and cold cold air..and we got it.  

Definitely a -AO, and yes a +NAO but it was in a period of decline. It also had a banana high.

Definitely a -AO, and yes a +NAO but it was in a period of decline. It also had a banana high.

Like I said, it had the cold air.  There were many people/METS who did not think that storm was going to happen...and I'm not meaning on this board.  It had things going for it for sure, but it also had things that were working against that were significant as well.  But we got it...and GOOD!!  What a great storm that was...one of my Favorites.  Anyway, on to the next week...hope something pops my friend.

ABout the Monday clipper, the models have a lead disturbance at H5 over the Mid Atlantic states that suppresses the flow over the East Coast, this does not allow heights to amplify ahead of the H5 shortwave trough associated with the clipper energy.  This is likely the reason for lack of amplification in these later runs.

Archived