Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter 2014/15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are probably better ways to forecast a clipper 4-5 days out than to post model snow output maps with no analysis.  The wave interaction at 500mb on the ECMWF over the upper missisppi valley and western great lakes looks good and the potential for strong interaction is very good, imo.  It may or may not pan out, but the potential for a very good clipper exists across a good chunk of Lower Michigan.

There are probably better ways to forecast a clipper 4-5 days out than to post model snow output maps with no analysis.  The wave interaction at 500mb on the ECMWF over the upper missisppi valley and western great lakes looks good and the potential for strong interaction is very good, imo.  It may or may not pan out, but the potential for a very good clipper exists across a good chunk of Lower Michigan.

fair enough. First let's look at the winter so far.  Can you name one 'surprise' event that was under-modeled snow-wise this winter?  I can't, but I do think it's fair to weigh in past trends when predicting future events.

Second attached is the 500 map.  How can that first clipper go too crazy with the second one on it's heels, and wouldn't the first one kill the ridging in front of the second one, hurting it's chances of digging too?   I'm asking, not being a smartass.

post-622-0-52935500-1421435839_thumb.jpg

The afternoon disco from MPX discusses at length the current stratus deck that stretches the entire state of MN. A full paragraph devoted to clouds without precip. Talk about nothing to discuss in the short/medium/long term. Cripes almighty.

Lol, this is great - perfectly sums things up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fair enough. First let's look at the winter so far.  Can you name one 'surprise' event that was under-modeled snow-wise this winter?  I can't, but I do think it's fair to weigh in past trends when predicting future events.

Second attached is the 500 map.  How can that first clipper go too crazy with the second one on it's heels, and wouldn't the first one kill the ridging in front of the second one, hurting it's chances of digging too?   I'm asking, not being a smartass.

I have no idea how you can make sense of anything use that awful map, but I never said it would go crazy, so there's that.

The Clipper train is looking pretty good for most of MI on the latest model runs for the next week+, should keep the snowpack fluffed up. Maybe somebody catches 4" from one of them being in the right spot at the right time :D

I suspect each clipper will track further and further southwest as the cold becomes entrenched. A little joy for everyone in the sub forum. Of course, MI will do well with Lake effect.

As we transition into the last week of January the models have shifted on the teleconnection indices as shown by the AMWX model page.  The -EPO ridge is gone, the -NAO blocking is gone, and the only thing left is the positive PNA and only until about Jan 24th.  At which point most of the models would suggest a neutral PNA with the exception of the ECMWF which goes strongly negative. If that data is right I would think a SE US ridge would pop.  If that is right we could go from tracking temps to tracking storms.  Don't write off winter yet.

I suspect each clipper will track further and further southwest as the cold becomes entrenched. A little joy for everyone in the sub forum. Of course, MI will do well with Lake effect.

This. Even though they may be moisture starved for the most part, if we can get 3 or 4 clippers with each one digging more than the previous, everyone could end up a few inches. Maybe not exciting, but at least the flakes will be flying.

As we transition into the last week of January the models have shifted on the teleconnection indices as shown by the AMWX model page.  The -EPO ridge is gone, the -NAO blocking is gone, and the only thing left is the positive PNA and only until about Jan 24th.  At which point most of the models would suggest a neutral PNA with the exception of the ECMWF which goes strongly negative. If that data is right I would think a SE US ridge would pop.  If that is right we could go from tracking temps to tracking storms.  Don't write off winter yet.

Meh, with those type of teleconnections, the only area that would have a decent shot at seeing big snowstorms is from your backyard (MSP/Duluth) over to weatherbo...

Huh?

post-90-0-51471800-1421466043_thumb.jpeg

But yeah the -nao is gone which is fine by me.. :)

But the epo was progged at -2 or -3 a few days ago...and now it's only progged to drop to -1. So, it's reasonable to say the -epo is gone.

Of course it could reappear again in future runs...we'll see.

That above is actually better then the 00z was last night.

problem with -2 and below is our storm chances go down other then clippers ofcourse..

Meh, with those type of teleconnections, the only area that would have a decent shot at seeing big snowstorms is from your backyard (MSP/Duluth) over to weatherbo...

Please tell me your not serious.  First of all, enough cold air could settle over us to drive the first storm to our south, even by a couple of hundred of miles.  At any rate once one area gets a good snow fall, the next one will likely be further south following baro zone.

Please tell me your not serious.  First of all, enough cold air could settle over us to drive the first storm to our south, even by a couple of hundred of miles.  At any rate once one area gets a good snow fall, the next one will likely be further south following baro zone.

It would be hard to hang onto though IF we did have a +EPO, +NAO/+AO/+PNA... Granted your area wouldn't fare much better either. Those 4 combined like that is a torch signal which would even include alot of Canada.

It would be hard to hang onto though IF we did have a +EPO, +NAO/+AO/+PNA... Granted your area wouldn't fare much better either. Those 4 combined like that is a torch signal which would even include alot of Canada.

i doubt that we will get Positive EPO and Positive PNA with the warm sea surface temps that we are seeing near the west coast, it will likely be one or the other, best guess is that we see -PNA develop which would be good for most of this sub form.  Question is how strong of SE ridge will we see?

i doubt that we will get Positive EPO and Positive PNA with the warm sea surface temps that we are seeing near the west coast, it will likely be one or the other, best guess is that we see -PNA develop which would be good for most of this sub form.  Question is how strong of SE ridge will we see?

Without a -NAO it would depend on the epo.

Archived