• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Photo Thread

Kay

The talk about eagles in the obs thread are well-timed.  A couple of weeks ago my girlfriend and I read of a snowy owl sighting on Assateague and went down this weekend in the hopes of sighting it.  The report came from the north end of the island so on Saturday at sunrise, we canoed across the bay near the inlet and hiked south. As it turns out, we could have just driven to the bridge crossing six miles to the south because we ended up hiking the six miles down to the bridge and another six back to the inlet.  No snowy owl but a perfect day otherwise. 

Then, on Sunday morning, just before the rains started, we were driving back to the main entrance for one more look and we came across a pair of eagles in a field near Frontier Town.  I wish I had a bigger lens because this is the best that I could with a 2x converter on a 200 telephoto.

post-1326-0-35090700-1421694043_thumb.jp

post-1326-0-71170300-1421691706_thumb.jp

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap - those pics! Wow!

Note to self - get to Loch Raven Reservoir.

Holy crap is right!   Great captures!

Thanks!  I appreciate it.  I've been reading and practicing, but I need to learn a good editing program.  That downy woodpecker picture, for example, would be better I think if I could give some contrast to the background.  I was shooting in to the clouds when I took it and had to increase the stops to get enough light on the bird. 

I'm off this afternoon and might go back up there to try to get closer to the eagles.

Thanks for the comments.  The many great photos in this thread are inspiring.

Thanks!  I appreciate it.  I've been reading and practicing, but I need to learn a good editing program.  That downy woodpecker picture, for example, would be better I think if I could give some contrast to the background.  I was shooting in to the clouds when I took it and had to increase the stops to get enough light on the bird. 

I'm off this afternoon and might go back up there to try to get closer to the eagles.

Thanks for the comments.  The many great photos in this thread are inspiring.

Do you birdwatch?

Do you birdwatch?

It's a new hobby really.  I like the outdoors and I like taking pictures, but the pictures I have taken over the years when hiking are pretty boring.  But I really like trying to get a picture of something elusive, especially wildlife.  Not to mention that some of the bird pictures I've seen on the internet are nothing short of spectacular, and I find it challenging to try to emulate those photos with affordable equipment.  It feels as much like hunting as photography because getting close is more important than snapping a photo with a quality 600 mm lens from the back of a pick up truck.  Don't get me wrong.  If I could afford the lens, I would be perfectly content using it.

So, no, I'm not a traditional birdwatcher, but I do like trying to find something unique or different, and photograph it.  An example are the pictures I posted from Assateague last week.  My girlfriend and I went down and spent 6 hours hiking 12 miles in the sand, sneaking up on every sand dune along the way, solely in the hopes of spotting a snowy owl.  How's that for nutty?  But I also believe I'm going to win the lottery one day, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

How about you?  A birdwatcher?

Here are two others I took.  One more of the downy woodpecker, and a cardinal from the backyard.

post-1326-0-44007200-1422294909_thumb.jp

post-1326-0-78523300-1422294930_thumb.jp

It's a new hobby really.  I like the outdoors and I like taking pictures, but the pictures I have taken over the years when hiking are pretty boring.  But I really like trying to get a picture of something elusive, especially wildlife.  Not to mention that some of the bird pictures I've seen on the internet are nothing short of spectacular, and I find it challenging to try to emulate those photos with affordable equipment.  It feels as much like hunting as photography because getting close is more important than snapping a photo with a quality 600 mm lens from the back of a pick up truck.  Don't get me wrong.  If I could afford the lens, I would be perfectly content using it.

So, no, I'm not a traditional birdwatcher, but I do like trying to find something unique or different, and photograph it.  An example are the pictures I posted from Assateague last week.  My girlfriend and I went down and spent 6 hours hiking 12 miles in the sand, sneaking up on every sand dune along the way, solely in the hopes of spotting a snowy owl.  How's that for nutty?  But I also believe I'm going to win the lottery one day, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

How about you?  A birdwatcher?

Here are two others I took.  One more of the downy woodpecker, and a cardinal from the backyard.

attachicon.gifLochRavenDWP2.JPG

attachicon.gifBackyard Cardinal.JPG

Wow! Those pictures are beautiful!

Those are some awesome snow pics. Out of curiosity, how far east did you get before you were out of the snow? East of Mt. Storm? I've been thinking of head back out there for some winter pics, but won't have the time until the middle of the month. 

Here's a recent pic from Elakala Falls in Blackwater Falls State Park that I came across on flickr. Not my pic.

https://flic.kr/p/q23vu2

Archived