joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Photo Thread

Kay

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Shots! I was North of you along the Bay yesterday. Just an amazing sight. Thick ice out on the bay and pretty cool to see "piles" of ice out there. 

Those are cool shots. Broken up chunks of ice look more impressive than just a solid sheet.

Thanks.  I was talking to another guy at Sandy Point and he said that he'd been there three times this week and this was the first time it was like that.  He said that the one warm day earlier in the week had broken up a lot of ice up the bay in some of the rivers and had moved down.  I guess I got lucky.

Very nice shots NW Baltimore....I agree with Snowfan, much more interesting than a solid sheet of ice, like mine lol.

Yours are great!  And thanks for mentioning Terrapin Park yesterday morning.  I went there after Sandy Point and we have some very similar photos!  There were a few people there and when we chatted, I asked some weird questions to see if we could meet.  Sorry that I missed you.

Here are a couple views you'll recognize.

post-1326-0-29849600-1425243680_thumb.jp

post-1326-0-14958400-1425243505_thumb.jp

For the great photographers and bird enthusiasts, be on the lookout for arriving Ospreys.  First sightings always seem to be in the Annapolis area, usually around March 10th.

Ha! Just found this :

03.03.15 - Well, we've seen our first osprey of the season at the Merrill Center in Annapolis, but it looks like Nick, Woody, and Crabby got the word about our long winter and have decided to stay down south a bit longer. No sign of Quin, but it's quite likely he's just out of cell tower range.

http://www.cbf.org/ospreymap

For the great photographers and bird enthusiasts, be on the lookout for arriving Ospreys.  First sightings always seem to be in the Annapolis area, usually around March 10th.

Ha! Just found this :

03.03.15 - Well, we've seen our first osprey of the season at the Merrill Center in Annapolis, but it looks like Nick, Woody, and Crabby got the word about our long winter and have decided to stay down south a bit longer. No sign of Quin, but it's quite likely he's just out of cell tower range.

http://www.cbf.org/ospreymap

Awesome! I was wondering what effect this cold weather, snow, and the icy waters was going to have on the Ospreys returning. The Past two years, I saw them the last week of Feb or the first week of March. 

Yours are great!  And thanks for mentioning Terrapin Park yesterday morning.  I went there after Sandy Point and we have some very similar photos!  There were a few people there and when we chatted, I asked some weird questions to see if we could meet.  Sorry that I missed you.

attachicon.gifBay Crevasse.JPG

attachicon.gifSunset BB.JPG

Very nice shots! I actually forgot my Canon(duh) so I used my iphone, and it did a respectable job! 

Fire crew reporting to what appeared to be a carbon monoxide detector going off in my neighborhood. Close to 7" of new snow on the ground at the time.

One from sunrise this morning on the bay and a few pics from Monday night's storm in DC. 

A couple from Sandy Point State Park yesterday.

attachicon.gifBay Bridge Sandy Pt.JPG

attachicon.gifSandy Pt LH.JPG

I was on the other side of the bay, at Terrapin Beach Park. The ice was just one solid snow covered sheet as far as you could see. Quite different from the chunky ice at Sandy Point.

attachicon.gifImg_1027.jpg

attachicon.gifbay1.jpg

A couple more...

attachicon.gifImg_1025.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_1029.jpg

attachicon.gifBay Crevasse.JPG

attachicon.gifSunset BB.JPG

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Snowfan- You must have a great combo of gear and know how. Jelly!

Not really. Decent camera and lenses but not top of the line by 2015 standards. Using a Nikon D300, which they no longer make. I keep it because it's built like a brick ( could def use it to defend myself :) ) the AF on it is great and it's weather sealed. I like to go out in the rain and snow, so the full weather seal is important for me. I've been shopping around and will probably upgrade sometime in the next year. If Nikon ever makes a D400 they can take my money. One thing that really interests me is built-in wifi. Tried a Canon 6d after the holidays and while there were a few things I didn't like about it, being able to instantly share pics was very nice.

Archived