joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Photo Thread

Kay

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have the time, you should head down to blackwater nwr near cambridge. The resident eagle pop is really good. And in the spring there are osprey everywhere you look.

Thanks.  We wanted to stop in there on the way back from the beach a couple of weeks ago, but the breweries took precedence.  Just yesterday, a friend of ours told us that she is going to St. Michaels over the long Valentine's weekend and invited us to go to Blackwater with her on that Sunday.  Maybe it'll work out.

Thanks.  We wanted to stop in there on the way back from the beach a couple of weeks ago, but the breweries took precedence.  Just yesterday, a friend of ours told us that she is going to St. Michaels over the long Valentine's weekend and invited us to go to Blackwater with her on that Sunday.  Maybe it'll work out.

Blackwater is great. When you are that way, head towards Hoopers Island. Last January when I was there, there were a ton of Bald Eagles along the route. Pretty cool area.

Earlier this week they conducted their annual mid-winter eagle pop survey at Blackwater. Between morning and evening, they counted 334 Eagles. No doubt there are some duplicates in there, but that's still a really healthy number. They also counted 3 golden eagles. You can also get relatively close to the eagles there. Closer than at Conowingo during their big eagle run in the fall. 

Those are some awesome snow pics. Out of curiosity, how far east did you get before you were out of the snow? East of Mt. Storm? I've been thinking of head back out there for some winter pics, but won't have the time until the middle of the month. 

Here's a recent pic from Elakala Falls in Blackwater Falls State Park that I came across on flickr. Not my pic.

https://flic.kr/p/q23vu2

Thanks! Awesome pic, I've never seen Elakala falls. Will have to visit it sometime! As soon as I came down the mountain just to the east of Bismark and Mt Storm lake the roads were fine. The pics were just cell phone pics I took while snowboarding. Today would be the day to get some amazing pics with the blue sky contrast as a background.

I like the memorial picture.  Nice work snowfan!

Also, thanks to everyone that commented and advised on the birds.  You all take some outstanding photos and I'm curious as to what post photo editor you all use (if any).  I've been looking at Photoshop but I don't understand the difference between the full suite and Lightroom.  Also, is that only an online monthly subscription service?  No discs?

I'm starting a basic photo class tomorrow, but hoping to do an editing class before too long, so any tips would be good to hear.

A year or two ago adobe took photoshop to the online world. Sure didn't make it any cheaper. I think you can still get elements (dumbed down version of photoshop) and lightroom over the counter. I use lightroom. It's a good basic editor (lots of presets that you can add) and its a really good organizer. You can also directly export pictures directly from it to flickr, facebook, etc. You can also get various plug-ins for it that assist with the editing. Some are free, some not so much. I have a plugin for OnOne Software's 'Perfect Effects 8'. It does a few things that you can't do in lightroom. Topaz Labs, DXO and Nik software also make some good plugins. You can pick up lots of tips from folks on photo sites like dpreview or fredmiranda. 

I like the memorial picture.  Nice work snowfan!

Also, thanks to everyone that commented and advised on the birds.  You all take some outstanding photos and I'm curious as to what post photo editor you all use (if any).  I've been looking at Photoshop but I don't understand the difference between the full suite and Lightroom.  Also, is that only an online monthly subscription service?  No discs?

I'm starting a basic photo class tomorrow, but hoping to do an editing class before too long, so any tips would be good to hear.

Archived