• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/7 - 1/9 Clipper system

SpartyOn

I believe it.  It's howling out there now, even after the squall.

That was almost like a severe thunderstorm, but with snow.  And no thunder lol.  Coolest weather event IMBY since I can't even remember.  Kind of reminded me of the Feb 2003 squall.

I feel real sorry for anyone who may have been caught out on the roads in that.

The main question is... Did you get video?

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe it.  It's howling out there now, even after the squall.

That was almost like a severe thunderstorm, but with snow.  And no thunder lol.  Coolest weather event IMBY since I can't even remember.  Kind of reminded me of the Feb 2003 squall.

I feel real sorry for anyone who may have been caught out on the roads in that.

awesome....congrats cyclone! 

multiple measurements yielded an average of around 3 inches....which seems a bit high...so I will use 2.5 as a base from here forward for the rest of the night

This is more intense than anything we got all of last year, including thunderstorms.  Extremely impressive squall going on right now.  Winds have to be pushing 50mph, and you can't see more than 50 yards in the gusts.  Extremely heavy snowfall.

They're wicked cool...glad you got under one. We had one here last winter, that was truly the best 15 minutes of action all season. And we had a lot of events/snow. :lol:

And of course, DTX has now taken the total snowfall amounts down a notch (from 2-4" to 1-3")...

Where did you see that? I didnt see it anywhere. Their update just said a heavier burst should allow isolated spots to hit 3-4". I doubt anyone has 1" or less now anyway and its still snowing, so whats the point of putting a 1 there lol?

Just went outside. We appear to be just shy of 2". There is drifting, but its not as bad to measure as I thought. Depth on ground is just under 4" overall (some 3" spots some 5" spots)

Where did you see that? I didnt see it anywhere. Their update just said a heavier burst should allow isolated spots to hit 3-4". I doubt anyone has 1" or less now anyway and its still snowing, so whats the point of putting a 1 there lol?

Just went outside. We appear to be just shy of 2". There is drifting, but its not as bad to measure as I thought. Depth on ground is just under 4" overall (some 3" spots some 5" spots)

Check your updated point grid...

Check your updated point grid...

I never check the point and clicks they are always wrong. Its really such a moot point though. Clearly everyone is going to get 2" at minimum so its just website graphic basically.

One strange thing I have noticed...the snow intensity has not been matching up with radar. Earlier we had dark green over us and it appeared to just be light snow, now under not as impressive returns we have mod to almost heavy snow.

I never check the point and clicks they are always wrong. Its really such a moot point though. Clearly everyone is going to get 2" at minimum so its just website graphic basically.

One strange thing I have noticed...the snow intensity has not been matching up with radar. Earlier we had dark green over us and it appeared to just be light snow, now under not as impressive returns we have mod to almost heavy snow.

True as far as the bolded. But it was funny to see them chop down the totals in such a knee-jerk fashion...

As far as snowfall intensity, it's been the complete opposite here (mostly light snow).

The only point in which we had heavy snow was when that tiny narrow area of 30 DBZs passed overhead earlier (around 7:30 PM)...

Peak gusts across IA...

54mph - Iowa Falls,

53mph - Clarion,

53mph - Washington,

52mph - Des Moines

Check out Rapid City....i'm sure up in the Black Hills they were even higher

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KRAP.html

Went for a jog earlier...temps are mild (teens), but the wind was brutal.  Snow looks like 2 to 3 inches...ton of accidents...

ARR and PIA having some fun.

SPECI KPIA 090239Z 28022G42KT 1 3/4SM -SN SCT027 BKN037 OVC046 M04/M10 A2996 RMK AO2 PK WND 30042/0233 UPB28E35SNB35 P0000 T10441100

METAR KARR 090252Z 27028G37KT 1/2SM SN FEW024 SCT030 OVC039 M08/M11 A2981 RMK AO2 PK WND 26039/0234 SLP109 P0000 60000 T10781106 55008

Those squalls upstream in LOT/ILX are headed this general way.  Hard to say if we'll get under one though as the bands are so thin.

Yeah, hard to know.

For example, IKK (or more specifically, my parent's house on the southside) getting the old 7-10 split.  :ee:

ARR and PIA having some fun.

SPECI KPIA 090239Z 28022G42KT 1 3/4SM -SN SCT027 BKN037 OVC046 M04/M10 A2996 RMK AO2 PK WND 30042/0233 UPB28E35SNB35 P0000 T10441100

METAR KARR 090252Z 27028G37KT 1/2SM SN FEW024 SCT030 OVC039 M08/M11 A2981 RMK AO2 PK WND 26039/0234 SLP109 P0000 60000 T10781106 55008

Yeah it's pretty windy out here and just got under one of those squalls for about 5 mins. Really big dendrites that just sit on top of the main snow pack. 

RGEM definitely had the right idea all along - definitely overdid amounts some but in terms of intensity and track it was definitely the one that started the trend.

RGEM/PGFS smoked all the NAMs for MBY anyways, all the NAM versions were saying screwhole with like 1" snow max here and I ended up with about 3" like the RGEM/PGFS were saying.

Archived