joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The radar is just bombing snow along 89 just west of the spine.  Some numbers are going to be BIG that way. 

Its a very, very narrow area that's been getting hit hard today... from like Colchester to Bolton.  I heard its also snowing hard in Waterbury now on Blush Hill just off the interstate exit.

Feb19_zpsle0rbtl3.gif

fascinating....convergence zone? Not lake effected as the lake is iced. Highly likely the flow is blocked that in such a way that the band is basically w-e oriented. 

Yeah I can't really figure out what is causing that... its obviously some convergence zone of some sort, but I was trying to think like maybe some sort of speed convergence?  There's probably some really meso-scale cause, based on the inversion height, winds and terrain.

Event totals: 2.3” Snow/0.12" L.E.

Our area got in a on a bit of the spillover from what was falling on the western slopes, with 1.4" during the day today.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 23.3

Snow Density: 4.3% H2O

Temperature: 11.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (1 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 19.0"

The latest north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this event are below; the western slopes of the Northern Greens certainly got a good shot of snow with Smugg's reporting 6" new and Bolton grabbing 9":

Jay Peak: 4”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 6”

Stowe: 4”

Bolton Valley: 9”

Mad River Glen: 3”

Sugarbush: 4”

Pico: 4”

Killington: 4”

Okemo: 1”

Bromley: 1”

Magic Mountain: 0”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 1”

Hey, how did I not notice that you are a mod now? Does the promotion come with free golf lessons? :P BTW, I struggle finding those maps too, I depend on JSpin and Powderfreak, though I believe that you can reach them through their FB page.

There arent enough promotions in the world to fix my golf swing lol.

I found the btv map again sort of by accident (heading up to Lake Placid this weekend so I tend to look at it a lot), but the okx link is shot too. Oh well.

Event totals: 2.5” Snow/0.16" L.E.

The wind picked up a bit last night and definitely compressed the new snow, so combined with the already fairly dense arctic-type flakes, this morning's core came in very dense.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 5.0

Snow Density: 20.0% H2O

Temperature: -3.3 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 19.0"

With the bit of additional snow last night, the latest north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this event are below; Bolton Valley has hit the 1-foot mark this event:

Jay Peak: 7”

Burke: 5”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley: 12”

Mad River Glen: 5”

Sugarbush: 5”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Okemo: 2”

Bromley: 5”

Magic Mountain: 4”

Stratton: 1”

Mount Snow: 4”

I found the btv map again sort of by accident (heading up to Lake Placid this weekend so I tend to look at it a lot), but the okx link is shot too. Oh well.

Bx, that one map link I provided above seems pretty permanent, so even though it only provides the old maps, it should always give you at least something to fall back on if any of the other links fail.

Great pictures of BV there Eyewall!

What do you think the conditions will be like tonight at BV?  Has the wind had a chance to scour the trails?  These fluffy snow systems have been so dry that the trails have been getting scrapped clean within 6 hours after the snow falls.

I'm thinking of driving over for some night skiing at BV today.  I know it will be cold but it may be fun and its hard to beat the price.

Cheers

Had some really fine -SN in CON this AM...really tiny snow grains. It almost looked like IC with the partial sunshine, but I think it came out of the BKN midlevel deck. I saw the HZ obs out of CON/1P1 so the vis drop must be from this.

During these cold snaps we've been getting a ton of HZ and UP reports from the ASOS up here. Still have the tiniest of flakes in the air, more like a frozen mist. I've noticed that if vis is below 3sm it calls it -SN...then above that it's HZ or UP.

Just realized I had a string of six nights in a row with subzero lows.  I have so far been unable to find any cold period that beats that.

LCI has had lows in the single digits or lower every day so far this month.  That's madness.

Hopefully the above freezing high temp on Sunday doesn't happen so I can keep that streak going.

Just realized I had a string of six nights in a row with subzero lows.  I have so far been unable to find any cold period that beats that.

LCI has had lows in the single digits or lower every day so far this month.  That's madness.

Hopefully the above freezing high temp on Sunday doesn't happen so I can keep that streak going.

I had 32.4/12.8 on 2/10...my only 32F and >10F this month. 25 of the last 27 days have had a min of <10F.

We're probably going to pull off a -10F or more departure for this month. Sunday will put a little dent in it. Monday will probably have a really cheap midnight high. I wish we could speed up that CAA by 6-10hrs.

I'm on ten straight sub-zero mornings and 16 for the month. 

Yesterday's +5 broke a string of 8 days, and of 19 days with lows of +1 or colder.  Sunday will  likely be the warmest daily mean for the month - by 10F.  Right now it's yesterday's 24/5, Sunday may come in at something like 32/18, and I don't see much competition for 2nd place thereafter.

Event totals: 2.7” Snow/0.18" L.E.

I thought the snowfall was pretty much done this morning, but I took a look out back tonight and there had been a bit more.

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: -3.1 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 18.5"

That's nuts. Being on a hill, I've only recorded 4-5 sub zero mornings all winter, but have had daily highs under 32f for 24 consecutive days

Haven't been >32F since 1/20 when we had a high of 34F.  We're on a hill too--though I suppose it's more accurately described as highlands.  We're part of a broad swath of uplands that ranges through several towns, all lying >1000' and cresting at 3000' along several peaks of the Orange Heights/Knox Mountains that separates the Connecticut and Winooski drainages.

Anyway, ho-hum, just another -20F here this morning with clouds already spilling in from the SW yielding one of those under-lit sunrises.

Archived