• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

Sounds like it's running good. Would like to ride this wknd, but another practically snowless week won't help. The only places I know where they're grooming is rangeley, eustis, jackman and northern part of the County and it's not great riding, but better than nothing. We're one good storm (>6") away from opening a lot of trails state-wide.

I looked back to last year and we really did not get going until third week of Jan before we had some decent riding as we lost everything with a couple cutters early on, Yeah, It ran good, It was mainly to get my future daughter in law some seat time on her 1st sled, She picked up an 08 Phazer on the cheap, So want her to get some experience riding, She got to see what crap trails looked like anyways........lol

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like it's running good. Would like to ride this wknd, but another practically snowless week won't help. The only places I know where they're grooming is rangeley, eustis, jackman and northern part of the County and it's not great riding, but better than nothing. We're one good storm (>6") away from opening a lot of trails state-wide.

The forks, greenville, and millinocket are grooming also. We did 150 miles from dad's house to the forks, rockwood, greenville, and back and it was 80 percent great, 10 percent ok, and 10 kinda bad. Definitely worth the trip imo. Gonna do 250 to Jackman this comin weekend.

Wait till you see the pictures.....

8" is absolutely right

Did you guys put tracks on Amherst to Balls Falls first thing this morning?

There were tracks down it by like 8:15am and I was thinking that might have been you and Petrics.  At first I thought it avalanched, but then realized they were ski tracks cutting across the bottom of the Falls.

I didn't get any photos worthwhile this morning... too cold to really stop and I didn't have any models. 

Skiing is best of the season right now though.

Interesting report on CoCoRAHS near the Stowe/Waterbury border in northern Washington County with 7.1" of snowfall in the last 24 hours.  Anyone driving through there on 100 notice an uptick in snow?

attachicon.gifsnow.gif

That 7.1" doesn't look like it's quite far enough north to be on the exact border of Waterbury/Stowe, but that area around Chutesville Hill there is definitely of relatively high elevation and can often have an uptick in accumulations.

PF and Jspin, how much OTG there?

10". It hasn't been ridiculously snowy but relative to the rest of New England it's been winter and white.

Same at my house.  There is enough for the snowmobile trails to be groomed and for people to ride on.  Not a ton but we have had worse starts to winter.

That's respectable.

Yeah, I'd bet it's probably close to climo...I bet 12" is probably a good average for here for mid-Jan. Some years it's 18" others it's probably 6".

But 10" is a good launching point if we actually get into a stormy pattern with synoptic snows in Feb/Mar. All it would take is a 12-inch synoptic storm and we'd be up in the 18"-20" range.

That is a legit turn....really it was...it was a stunning morning on the MTN. The light was incredible.  

The mountain is in great shape. I'm incredibly impressed with how well the groomers and the snow making guys have done with the rain events and the cold weather. 

Looks like another refresher could be coming early friday AM with the arrival of a cold front.  Moisture looks brief but the orientation of the front really is good for orographic snow and there is def. the possibility of some moisture from the GLs getting sucked into the frontal zone....so maybe another 2-4" ? Sounds good to me. 

That is a legit turn....really it was...it was a stunning morning on the MTN. The light was incredible.

The mountain is in great shape. I'm incredibly impressed with how well the groomers and the snow making guys have done with the rain events and the cold weather.

Looks like another refresher could be coming early friday AM with the arrival of a cold front. Moisture looks brief but the orientation of the front really is good for orographic snow and there is def. the possibility of some moisture from the GLs getting sucked into the frontal zone....so maybe another 2-4" ? Sounds good to me.

Yeah well I'm just glad the 10+ million dollars spent recently has led to a very noticeable improvement in the time I've been skiing there. It definitely took what was just another northern VT ski area infrastructure and brought it into the big leagues of snowmaking with like places in SVT and even Sunday River in terms of pumping capacity and amount of fixed equipment.

There is a learning curve though with using it all effectively and places like SR have it down to a science from doing it for so many years.

PF and Jspin, how much OTG there?

Snow depth is currently 8.5" at our site; mean for this date is 11.7 ± 5.8" so we're well within that range of 1 S.D.

I bet 12" is probably a good average for here for mid-Jan. Some years it's 18" others it's probably 6".

Nice estimate PF; my data would say that's a great guess on an average for the mountain valleys around here.

But 10" is a good launching point if we actually get into a stormy pattern with synoptic snows in Feb/Mar. All it would take is a 12-inch synoptic storm and we'd be up in the 18"-20" range.

I just checked my numbers, and the mean snowpack depth for the first week of March is right in that 18"-20" range, so we'd be right around there with an average progression from this point.

Archived