• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

3.2"/0.23" last night. Depth was up to 28"...back down to 26" now at my stake.

Monday into Tuesday looks brutally cold. Lots of -20s and -30s up north and well into the -10s here on MOS. I have a chance at my coldest of the season.

My avg min for the month is currently at -0.1F including the 17.5F from this morning. There's a pretty good bet I pull off my first month averaging a min below zero. I have a slight chance at a monthly avg below 10.0F as well.

incredible

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My avg min for the month is currently at -0.1F including the 17.5F from this morning. There's a pretty good bet I pull off my first month averaging a min below zero. I have a slight chance at a monthly avg below 10.0F as well.

You are on a little bit of a hill right?  Bet the bottom of your hill definitely will average negative numbers for the minimum temps, haha.

MVL right now running with a average minimum of -8.3F :lol: ....lots of crazy cold mornings for the radiators this winter with the long-duration deep/cold snowpack in place. 

You are on a little bit of a hill right?  Bet the bottom of your hill definitely will average negative numbers for the minimum temps, haha.

MVL right now running with a average minimum of -8.3F :lol: ....lots of crazy cold mornings for the radiators this winter with the long-duration deep/cold snowpack in place.

Yup...but it's one of those rare months where my avg min is actually a hair colder than CON so far...even though they have me beat by 6-7F for coldest min of the month.

I hated reading this in the new BTV discussion:

NO WIDESPREAD OR
SIGNIFICANT STORMS ARE EXPECTED IN THE NEXT 7 DAYS.

:(

Anyway on a break from work I snuck over to Stowe and took some snow pics. It was beautiful in the woods out that way. Powder do you happen to know what the depth is in the area?

NO WIDESPREAD OR

SIGNIFICANT STORMS ARE EXPECTED IN THE NEXT 7 DAYS.

:(

Anyway on a break from work I snuck over to Stowe and took some snow pics. It was beautiful in the woods out that way. Powder do you happen to know what the depth is in the area?

Looks like fire hose off storms is done for awhile.

Looks like fire hose off storms is done for awhile.

I could use a bit of a break, actually.  I'm taking care of two houses, two fams (my own and also aging parents) and trying to hold down my job.  It's been a grind this winter.  A real character builder.  :weight_lift:

All of March still to come.  Blue & saturated.

I just want one more big event before the season is done. We have been too far north for most of the big tickets but have had a steady stream of nickle and dimers. Obviously outside the CPV places like Stowe have some solid depths to be sure. I took these today:

11009924_10102463356914909_3201604032590

11001743_10102463356999739_8266839315966

10980705_10102463357024689_1029282600482

10993395_10102463357309119_2138987202256

10309181_10102463357159419_8971588903597

Obviously those are piles in the second image but they were impressively high.

NO WIDESPREAD OR SIGNIFICANT STORMS ARE EXPECTED IN THE NEXT 7 DAYS.

I'm sure that represents a change for some areas farther to the south, but I'm not sure that's even worthy of note around here.  It's like "dog bites man" as far as I'm concerned.  The moderate event we just had last night was actually the 4th largest storm of the season in my records, there hasn’t been a storm here of more than a foot in well over two months, and that one we had in early December was the only storm of greater than a foot (14.8") this entire season.  It's not really a complaint, but I'm just not sure it represents a massive change when one looks at the storm history and upcoming forecast:

22FEB15A.jpg

In any event, the storms are certainly getting the job done; I'm starting to give up on checking the surface snow depths for the time being because my 40+" pole simply disappears when I push it into the powder.  At Stowe today, the boys said that although it wasn't going to be easy, they'd be willing to suffer through the smaller storms for now if that's all we can get:

22FEB15B.jpg

22FEB15C.jpg

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/0.02" L.E.

There was 0.6" of new snow as of 11:00 P.M. due to this evening's activity – the BTV NWS forecast discussion indicates that it's associated with the upcoming arctic frontal passage.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 AM MONDAY MORNING/...

AS OF 920 PM EST SUNDAY...GOING FORECAST REMAINS IN GOOD SHAPE. SEEING SOME LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS BREAKING OUT IN THE SOUTHWEST FLOW DOWNSTREAM OF LAKE ONTARIO AND AHEAD OF INITIAL FRONTAL PASSAGE. INITIAL FRONTAL FEATURE COMING THROUGH OTTAWA NOW WITH SECONDARY FRONT STILL BACK BETWEEN OTTAWA AND PETAWAWA...AND STILL ON TRACK TO MOVE ACROSS THE NORTH COUNTRY OVERNIGHT AND INTO MONDAY MORNING.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 29.1 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 21.5"

The streak continues at MPV. Got to 27 and now back down to 23. Not only have we not been at or above freezing since January 19th, we haven't touched 30 since the 24th. BTV put out something the other day showing that the below freezing streak isn't that rare but I can't recall where it is.

Here is list of below freezing streaks at BTV.  The one that ended yesterday only tied for the 12th longest.

post-363-0-16415300-1424699024_thumb.jpg

Yesterday's 35 snapped the streak at 33 days at 32 or lower, which ties my longest here.  Somehow the temp slipped to 4F in the post-snowfall pre-dawn, before the sun poked out about 10 AM and gave us a taste of spring.  First AN of the month, though by only a fraction of a degree.  Feb avg now 15.5/ -10.2/ 2.7.

Snowpack at 28" - that's 7.5" above my avg for the date, but dwarfed by places to the south, east, and west, especially compared to our respective averages.  Not often that PF's home depth is 10" above mine.  Of course, lowest snowdepth in Maine is in Aroostook - go figure.

Yesterday's 35 snapped the streak at 33 days at 32 or lower, which ties my longest here. Somehow the temp slipped to 4F in the post-snowfall pre-dawn, before the sun poked out about 10 AM and gave us a taste of spring. First AN of the month, though by only a fraction of a degree. Feb avg now 15.5/ -10.2/ 2.7.

Snowpack at 28" - that's 7.5" above my avg for the date, but dwarfed by places to the south, east, and west, especially compared to our respective averages. Not often that PF's home depth is 10" above mine. Of course, lowest snowdepth in Maine is in Aroostook - go figure.

Just for the record my home depth isn't 10" about you, haha. That's the 1500ft depth on the east side of Mansfield outside the office. My home depth is like 25"...as there's like a foot of snowpack difference between 750ft and 1500ft, which is not uncommon. Plain and simple more precip falls up here than in town due to orographics.

I've noticed over the years though that the 1500ft depth I have is usually around your depth over there. But we haven't been in a CAD pattern with thaws, which is the big advantage in your area. If we aren't getting thaws, that's allowing the pack in the lower higher elevations (haha) to grow more than usual.

Just for the record my home depth isn't 10" about you, haha. That's the 1500ft depth on the east side of Mansfield outside the office. My home depth is like 25"...as there's like a foot of snowpack difference between 750ft and 1500ft, which is not uncommon. Plain and simple more precip falls up here than in town due to orographics.

I've noticed over the years though that the 1500ft depth I have is usually around your depth over there. But we haven't been in a CAD pattern with thaws, which is the big advantage in your area. If we aren't getting thaws, that's allowing the pack in the lower higher elevations (haha) to grow more than usual.

Oops!  Missed the location.  And you're right on about CAD  not many such events this season, which is fine with me.  I'd just like to see one blockbuster this winter, rather than merely getting to shovel it.  ;)

Archived