Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18Z models

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, just taking it at face value for fun...check out that blast after the front passes through (~300-h and after). Whoa!

Yeah.

I take it all with a truckload of salt - but, that said, it's good (odd?) to see this active a pattern across the central east part of the country in a Nina year.

Yeah.

I take it all with a truckload of salt - but, that said, it's good (odd?) to see this active a pattern across the central east part of the country in a Nina year.

Oh, I agree...a huge truckload of salt. But that's quite the blast of cold (and wind) behind it, if it were to verify anything like that. As you say, good to see it active though.

I assume your complaining about the amounts in our area. The real explosive development starts just at and north of our latitude. Not ideal for us.

not sure about that... the GFS has the low deepen from 1008 to 1004 as it moves from SC to the Outer Banks, then it crosses inside the banks (perfect track) and deepens about 5mb to 999 in the next 6 hours. Meanwhile there is a 1039 High over the northern US. Sometimes the pressure difference is more important then the actual pressure, the 1983 storm was only about 1004 when it crosses the outer banks. I think the storm starts to bomb in a decent location the GFS just takes too long getting the CCB going, and it may be model error.

The western rtidge is in a good spot and undergoes a great amplification we do have a 50/50 low.

I think the ridge amplification will force a storm track all the big cities wiill see at least some snow.

There's an outside chance of a crappy 1/18/2009 like storm, but even then, philly north got some snow.

5th February 1995 is probably a more likely outcome, with a track a little further east.

18z ens way south of the operational :whistle:

I don't think I'd be wrong if I said they are east of operational in coastal storms 85-90% of the time, so I don't think that mean much one way or the other in this particular storm

I have pinned my hopes on the GFS ensembles many a time only to turn to mix/rain

that's not to say to take the operational as gospel, rather, don't put much hope/faith in the ensembles, that's all

not sure about that... the GFS has the low deepen from 1008 to 1004 as it moves from SC to the Outer Banks, then it crosses inside the banks (perfect track) and deepens about 5mb to 999 in the next 6 hours. Meanwhile there is a 1039 High over the northern US. Sometimes the pressure difference is more important then the actual pressure, the 1983 storm was only about 1004 when it crosses the outer banks. I think the storm starts to bomb in a decent location the GFS just takes too long getting the CCB going, and it may be model error.

Yeah, the track is not bad. Likely QPF will work out if this track continues.

Yeah, the track is not bad. Likely QPF will work out if this track continues.

yea I do not think this area gets shut out like the 12z euro indicated...but we are fighting the lack of good STJ moisture involvement this winter. Its why Nina's are progressively worse as you head south for snowfall. While I think we will do better then some models are indicating I think the true monster snow totals may start north and east of our area this time. Someone threw out Feb 5th 1995 and that may not be a half bad idea of how the snowfall distribution might end up only this should be a little east of that track.

yea I do not think this area gets shut out like the 12z euro indicated...but we are fighting the lack of good STJ moisture involvement this winter. Its why Nina's are progressively worse as you head south for snowfall. While I think we will do better then some models are indicating I think the true monster snow totals may start north and east of our area this time. Someone threw out Feb 5th 1995 and that may not be a half bad idea of how the snowfall distribution might end up only this should be a little east of that track.

wasn't it predicted that the northeast , north of 40n would do better this winter, and if that is the case, then what we get here in cent md would only be a mod storm, but any accumulating storm would be great on xmas day and eve.

Archived