• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

The models have continued to be steadfast in a mid-US ridge around D10. It doesn't look terribly warm here, with somewhat of a NW flow, but it's doubtful we'll see much winter wx to speak of either. It'll be interesting to see what happens beyond that.

Late March will deliver...  Have faith in Mega-Marvelous-Magnificent-Monstrous March.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS is awful out to 384 for snow. Hopefully, we'll start to see signs of a turn-around rather quickly that could leave the door open for an end of March special before Spring arrives permanently.

March is no for snow! I mean in 75 years , I'm sure it's snowed like 8 times in March here, so odds are against it , I would say!

Definitely liking what I'm seeing on the last couple of GFS runs. Spring/bugs/pollen/AC may have to wait, which would be perfectly fine with me.

I am sure ATL will be left out of this one as well...It is actually uncomfortable in my house currently, turned the heat off this morning, but very stuffy, fans going everywhere.

March is no for snow! I mean in 75 years , I'm sure it's snowed like 8 times in March here, so odds are against it , I would say!

Well I'm from Greenwood, which is 50 miles to the southeast of us here in Greenville. I can remember off the top of my head we had three snowstorms in the middle of the month of March in 1960. I was 5 years old and can remember big snow but my mom said that 1960 was the year and we had pictures of it.

1971, I was a sophomore in high school and on March 25th, the 5th day of Spring, we got a total surprise snowstorm of about 12 inches. It started at 11:15 that morning and by 1pm they were dismissing school, when I stepped off the school bus on my street, it was a winter wonderland. The biggest snowflakes I've ever seen in my life. At one point my math teacher said that she had never in her life seen snowflakes that big. I swear for a while they were as big as baseballs, and then as big at least as golf balls all day long and after dark that night.

March 21st 1983, the second day of Spring, 6 inches and another complete surprise.  Another one or two of several inches in the late '80 into the early '90s.

About 10 years ago several inches on March 2nd, and the following year several inches on March 1st.

March 2010, middle of the month, about 4 inches after having had 8 inches in February.

So I remember nine right off the top of my head in Greenwood in March since 1960.

Sorry Greenville missed out on them, but seriously, I don't think they did.

Next week looks wet! I got rain in the forecast from Tuesday on! Bout time El Niño showed up! Just in time for a damp spring and no cold air around !

yep nws showing rain from this monday thru next sunday with anywhere from a 60% chance to a 90% chance.  why can't we have the cold so all those days would show up as snow instead of rain, how beautiful that would be but it never turns out that way.

I do think we'll have a couple of chances yet to see some snow don't know about a big snowstorm or not but its happened before.  remember april 3rd i think it was 1987 was wearing shorts the day  before about 12 inches of snow, so you never know, around the mtns. especially. 

GFS brings back the eastern trough and western ridge in the LR.  Also, this is the time of year to start watching for cutoffs traversing the southern tier.  After mid-March, you north GA, Upstate SC, Western NC guys will need to start watching those.  They could bring you all some snow, while opening and weakening just in time to give us eastern folks another nice cold rain!

Archived