wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the latest snowfall ever recorded for GSP, ATL, CLT, AVL? Is there a good source for this sort of information? If I had to guess it would be sometime in March for GSP, ATL, CLT, and April for AVL.

it has to be may, or maybe even June for Asheville. They average more snow in April than November. April snow is not unusual here.

Front Royal is really nice. The ridges at the Warren/Fauquier county lines off sr 55 and I-66 are up over 2200 feet elevation. They should get slammed by this storm. Lots of nice homes up there.

That is exactly where I went in March 2013 and got these photos.

https://www.facebook.com/john.burns.330467/media_set?set=a.546412472047666.1073741825.100000367540017&type=3

I would think maybe early April for the first three, and late April/May for Asheville.

it has to be may, or maybe even June for Asheville. They average more snow in April than November. April snow is not unusual here.

I'm only 32, but I don't ever recall it snowing in April in the Upstate.  Although, it wouldn't surprise me if it occurred during colder periods in the past.  I think I read one time snow has occurred in every month of the year at Mt. Mitchell.  Eventhough it's a completely different climate up their, it's still impressive being that it's is only a 2-3 hour car ride up there from Spartanburg.

I'm only 32, but I don't ever recall it snowing in April in the Upstate. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if it occurred during colder periods in the past. I think I read one time snow has occurred in every month of the year at Mt. Mitchell. Eventhough it's a completely different climate up their, it's still impressive being that it's is only a 2-3 hour car ride up there from Spartanburg.

It was sometime around 2002-2003 and April 11th, we had rain and snow mix , turn briefly to all snow, I was on Haywood rd, and that's the only time I have ever seen snow in April!

I'm only 32, but I don't ever recall it snowing in April in the Upstate.  Although, it wouldn't surprise me if it occurred during colder periods in the past.  I think I read one time snow has occurred in every month of the year at Mt. Mitchell.  Eventhough it's a completely different climate up their, it's still impressive being that it's is only a 2-3 hour car ride up there from Spartanburg.

We had a burst of snow in April 2007 in Georgia. Didn't stick or last long but it was amazing to see on Easter Weekend !

Birmingham, AL got a pretty major snowstorm in April 1987. :)  Not sure about SC.  Maybe they got some snow with the April 1915 snowstorm that pummeled Raleigh?

I should have looked more closely to see how nino's were going for us, these were the past 7 nino's.  2 climo and 5 duds.   LOL, and I used to think nino's were snowy for us.  So really this winter is behaving as past nino's have.

RDU Nino's since 1990.

2010 - 7.9

2007 - 1.6

2005 - 0.9

2003 - 7.4

1998 - 2.4

1995 - 2.2

1992 - 0

AVG 3.2"

Good info....It'd be interesting to know what Nino's where like during the 30 years that were above snowfall average for RDU.

Archived