wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were to chase, it would have to be for 12"+ amounts, and maybe even more than that. Chasing for 3-5" seems a but desparate.

I would really like to see a 6" snow. Do you think anyone has a shot at 6" ? I haven't seen that much since 1993. I'm wondering if maybe some higher elevations in VA or WV have a shot ?

HAHA.. oh man!! Never more than 4 inches?

You definitely need to take a road trip bro. I've seen dozens of 4 inch snows in my lifetime i would say. 2009-10 was amazing. IAD had 46 inches just in February. :lmao:

There have been areas very close to me that have seen 6"+ over the last 22 years but I can't seem to get past 4".

I should have looked more closely to see how nino's were going for us, these were the past 7 nino's.  2 climo and 5 duds.   LOL, and I used to think nino's were snowy for us.  So really this winter is behaving as past nino's have.

RDU Nino's since 1990.

2010 - 7.9

2007 - 1.6

2005 - 0.9

2003 - 7.4

1998 - 2.4

1995 - 2.2

1992 - 0

AVG 3.2"

I would really like to see a 6" snow. Do you think anyone has a shot at 6" ? I haven't seen that much since 1993. I'm wondering if maybe some higher elevations in VA or WV have a shot ?

Right now 6-9 might be a pretty good bet for NOVA/DC/MD.  Depends on the track of the low. Southern WV may have mixing issues i would say. 

I should have looked more closely to see how nino's were going for us, these were the past 7 nino's.  2 climo and 5 duds.   LOL, and I used to think nino's were snowy for us.  So really this winter is behaving as past nino's have.

RDU Nino's since 1990.

2010 - 7.9

2007 - 1.6

2005 - 0.9

2003 - 7.4

1998 - 2.4

1995 - 2.2

1992 - 0

AVG 3.2"

That's crazy that I had 6" of snow in 1992 and Raleigh had 0". 

There's this guy in the Mid-Atlantic subforum (jon jon) who has a bed and breakfast in an awesome up slope location in northeastern West Virginia. I think they got about 30" in Hurricane Sandy. I'd try there if you want a good shot at legit snow. He averages like 150-200" of snow per year or so.

There's this guy in the Mid-Atlantic subforum (jon jon) who has a bed and breakfast in an awesome up slope location in northeastern West Virginia. I think they got about 30" in Hurricane Sandy. I'd try there if you want a good shot at legit snow.

Davis,WV. Yep, they average like 157 a Winter...HAHA... they are in a great spot for this one as well.

I spent 2 summers working in Front Royal at the end of Shenandoah national park, they usually do quite well as well as Winchester.

Front Royal is really nice. The ridges at the Warren/Fauquier county lines off sr 55 and I-66 are up over 2200 feet elevation. They should get slammed by this storm. Lots of nice homes up there.

There's this guy in the Mid-Atlantic subforum (jon jon) who has a bed and breakfast in an awesome up slope location in northeastern West Virginia. I think they got about 30" in Hurricane Sandy. I'd try there if you want a good shot at legit snow. He averages like 150-200" of snow per year or so.

Does Elkins, WV do good usually ?

Front Royal is really nice. The ridges at the Warren/Fauquier county lines off sr 55 and I-66 are up over 2200 feet elevation. They should get slammed by this storm. Lots of nice homes up there.

Yea spent a lot of times there on 522 south at chester gap working at SCBI and hiking on the AT. My only encounter with a timber rattlesnake was there!

LOL yeah its been depressing actually. Not much reason to post it seems--today's an exception obviously...LOL

Banter is strong with this one! I think our seasonal avg is 6-8 inches. It is what is , we are not in the MA or NE, so it's more enjoyable when you do get to see it. But despite the predictions of an apocalyptic winter, this one is very unusual, with basically 0 snow.

Banter is strong with this one! I think our seasonal avg is 6-8 inches. It is what is , we are not in the MA or NE, so it's more enjoyable when you do get to see it. But despite the predictions of an apocalyptic winter, this one is very unusual, with basically 0 snow.

Yeah, i have to keep telling myself i shouldnt expect what i used to get, but its hard. I like the area, but honestly, the climate here i dont care for...LOLL

And youre right, the hype leading up to this Winter has made it hard on all of us.. On another note, i saw the circus last night at the Bon Secours arena!!  

OH awesome..LOL

They get a lot more snow than the valley floor too. I think they should do well on Sun/Mon barring a big track change.

Yea it was nice and cool up there on the hot summer days. The summer of 2013 was incredibly cool up there, camping out most nights were in the 40s and 50s!

What is a lot of snow to me, isn't what people in NC consider a lot of snow. We have different standards. 2" is a lot of snow to me.

8+ would be considered a lot for me. In Chicago I didn't care how much I got, I just absolutely loved blowing snow. I loved seeing the wind blow the snow off the roof and around on the ground.

Yeah, i have to keep telling myself i shouldnt expect what i used to get, but its hard. I like the area, but honestly, the climate here i dont care for...LOLL

And youre right, the hype leading up to this Winter has made it hard on all of us.. On another note, i saw the circus last night at the Bon Secours arena!!  

I'm pretty sure ATL has recorded a snow in April, but I know that ATL's biggest snowfall on record was in Late March. Go figure.

Yea it was nice and cool up there on the hot summer days. The summer of 2013 was incredibly cool up there, camping out most nights were in the 40s and 50s!

HAHA.. that feels soooooo nice tho! The summer nights up there arent too bad usually, even in the Shenandoah Valley. Once you get away from the UHI of DC, its sorta pleasant most of the time at night.

Archived