• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Banter

mackerel_sky

Do you work or go to school or something?

I work but I'm on vacation from now until next Friday. This is perfect timing for me to go on a snow chase esp since I now have a new car. I'll be damned if I'm going to miss out on this opportunity. Plus gas prices are really low which is good. I want this to be my best vacation ever.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol. In all seriousness, this was the first car I've ever bought and I was terrified. Now that I have a new car I'm ready to go. I don't care how far I have to drive. I want SNOW and lots of it. I will even drive to Colorado if I have to. This would be a great opportunity to go on a cross country road trip. I've always wanted to go on a cross country trip. So if there's any snow out west I would definitely be up for going out west.

You should have just rented a car if unreliability was holding you back.

I work but I'm on vacation from now until next Friday. This is perfect timing for me to go on a snow chase esp since I now have a new car. I'll be damned if I'm going to miss out on this opportunity. Plus gas prices are really low which is good. I want this to be my best vacation ever.

I've been on 'vacation' for seven years and haven't logged a mile chasing this winter.  

lol. In all seriousness, this was the first car I've ever bought and I was terrified. Now that I have a new car I'm ready to go. I don't care how far I have to drive. I want SNOW and lots of it. I will even drive to Colorado if I have to. This would be a great opportunity to go on a cross country road trip. I've always wanted to go on a cross country trip. So if there's any snow out west I would definitely be up for going out west.

Congrats on your new car! :D    New Mexico is just under a WWA for about 4" in Taos tomorrow, Dayton/Cincinnati around 5" Sat/Sunday  ;)  

Congrats on your new car! :D    New Mexico is just under a WWA for about 4" in Taos tomorrow, Dayton/Cincinnati around 5" Sat/Sunday   ;)

Lol thanks. I am kinda sad though. It's weird how can you get so attached to a car. I've driven the same car for a long time and I'm going to miss it. It was time though. And I think Dayton sounds like a pretty good option right now. I'm thinking closer to the Ohio River will get less so the further north the better. I wouldn't mind going to the Mid-Atlantic either. I guess I will figure out tomorrow night or Saturday which location is best.

Well, I bought a new car today so I'm game to drive anywhere within 1,500 miles to see snow in the next week. Any snow chances in the northeast or midwest ? Was thinking about going to Cincy.

Straight up 75 to Cincy. 3-5" sunday. Grab dinner at the Montgomery Inn Boathouse on the Ohio side of the river. Thank me later.

Ah, well go for it, I guess. Dreadful winter. Pathetic winter.

Here are the sub 1" winters over the past 30 years or so, one big glaring feature that sticks out like a sore thumb.  Compare it to what we have seen this winter so far....close.   There's a reason we haven't even sniffed a winter event this year...

Edit:  Just to add onto this, the bottom one are some snowy winters off the top of my head that had multiple winter events that were great winters.

post-2311-0-66555400-1422577081_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-48816200-1422577089_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-80994500-1422577213_thumb.pn

I would head to NoVA on Saturday. Stay in Reston at the Hyatt, located at Reston Town Center. Plenty of cool shops/bars/restaurants to catch the Super Bowl and enjoy the snow. I have seen more snow there then here over the past few years when on business travel.

LOLL Oh man, i grew up 4 miles from there!  Its an awesome area, with plenty to do.. Tysons would be a fun bet too. Again, loads of places to eat or shop. And soon they will have the Silver line Metro station --the furthest one west finished now is the Wiehle Ave-Reston East station.

I hope they get a nice storm, even if it makes me homesick as hell. :sled:  :snowing:

LOLL Oh man, i grew up 4 miles from there!  Its an awesome area, with plenty to do.. Tysons would be a fun bet too. Again, loads of places to eat or shop. And soon they will have the Silver line Metro station --the furthest one west finished now is the Wiehle Ave-Reston East station.

I hope they get a nice storm, even if it makes me homesick as hell. :sled:  :snowing:

It's a fun place, my favorite area to stay in, I like Tyson's too, I go to that mall right off 123.  But, you can't beat Reston Town Center, great food/bars.

It's a fun place, my favorite area to stay in, I like Tyson's too, I go to that mall right off 123.  But, you can't beat Reston Town Center, great food/bars.

Cool atmosphere too, plus they have the skating rink. That just looks really awesome with snow falling!

I just wish we could get something down here, anything... this non Winter-winter is getting me down. Might have to move back there soon.

Here are the sub 1" winters over the past 30 years or so, one big glaring feature that sticks out like a sore thumb. Compare it to what we have seen this winter so far....close. There's a reason we haven't even sniffed a winter event this year...

Edit: Just to add onto this, the bottom one are some snowy winters off the top of my head that had multiple winter events that were great winters.

except new England and sooN to be the mid Atlantic will be above average for snow.

Cool atmosphere too, plus they have the skating rink. That just looks really awesome with snow falling!

I just wish we could get something down here, anything... this non Winter-winter is getting me down. Might have to move back there soon.

I'm still hopeful that sometime between now and Mid March somewhere in the south will get a good dumping of snow, but it's just been so depressing. I have to get my snow fix before I go nuts. James was saying earlier how this winter is worse than 11-12 because in 11-12 at least it was warm which made it a little easier to accept. I have to agree with him.

Good grief. How come ? If I was retired I would be chasing snow as much as I could. Or better yet, just move to a snowy area.

I have mileage and amount criteria.   As for moving, I spent quite a few years with all the snow I cared to see for weeks at a time.  Nowadays, I just like a brief visit to an ongoing event.

Lol thanks. I am kinda sad though. It's weird how can you get so attached to a car. I've driven the same car for a long time and I'm going to miss it. It was time though. And I think Dayton sounds like a pretty good option right now. I'm thinking closer to the Ohio River will get less so the further north the better. I wouldn't mind going to the Mid-Atlantic either. I guess I will figure out tomorrow night or Saturday which location is best.

I know what you mean about being attached to a car....lol  I bought my first new car back in '95, a Toyota Tercel. :wub:  I put over 300,000 miles on her before she just quit. I still have the key on my keyring  :(  

Just south of dayton would be best....between Franklin and Centerville is usually a winner with the track currently modeled  ;)  btw....I agree with kvegas...the Montgomery Inn Boathouse is really good  :D 

I have mileage and amount criteria.   As for moving, I spent quite a few years with all the snow I cared to see for weeks at a time.  Nowadays, I just like a brief visit to an ongoing event.

Well, that explains it then. You've seen enough snow to last a lifetime. I live in Georgia where I haven't seen more than a 4" snow in 22 years. So I'm really desperate.

I know what you mean about being attached to a car....lol  I bought my first new car back in '95, a Toyota Tercel. :wub:  I put over 300,000 miles on her before she just quit. I still have the key on my keyring   :(

Just south of dayton would be best....between Franklin and Centerville is usually a winner with the track currently modeled   ;)  btw....I agree with kvegas...the Montgomery Inn Boathouse is really good   :D

It almost feels like a death in the family to me, which may sound weird. I drove it 173,000 miles and have been driving it for 14 years. It's the only car I've ever had. I got it when I was just a teenager. So, it's very bittersweet. But, it does help a little knowing my dad will be getting it so at least I know it's still in the family.

Well, that explains it then. You've seen enough snow to last a lifetime. I live in Georgia where I haven't seen more than a 4" snow in 22 years. So I'm really desperate.

Yeah, I can see that.  I still throughly enjoy a ripping, wind driven snow.  I just don't want to have to slog around in the remains for weeks at a time.  

except new England and sooN to be the mid Atlantic will be above average for snow.

Yep, BOS doesn't need blocking like we do, if you see below BOS did just fine.  

The weak blocking for this Sun/Mon deal is perfect for the MA, if it was any stronger the storm would hit us, if it was any weaker it would be tracking over them instead, just good luck/timing.  They were fortunate with a couple of clippers too, when your running hot your hot. There is a reason they are like 150% of climo over the past 7-8 years. 

It's why I have been so pessimistic since mid-December, it's one of those things you try not to look at as you know if you look more deeply into the lack of blocking and how it affects our winter it won't be good news.  I was hoping we would get lucky and a transient -AO/-NAO would setup, kind of like this weekend.  That's how we got Jan 2000/2002, some blocking setup for a short period of time and we were lucky.  But, I think at this point the signs are pointing toward a cool/cold first 10 days of Feb then things moderate and it will take some time before it flips again.  Probably flip again in March and at that time everyone west of 77 is out of it.  So realistically, another week or so of model watching and then pre-emergent time.

Boston

2012 - 9.3"

2008 - 51.2"

2006 - 39.9"

2005 - 86.6"

1999 - 36.4"

1997 - 51.9"

1992 - 22"

1991 - 19.1

Avg - 40"

I'm still hopeful that sometime between now and Mid March somewhere in the south will get a good dumping of snow, but it's just been so depressing. I have to get my snow fix before I go nuts. James was saying earlier how this winter is worse than 11-12 because in 11-12 at least it was warm which made it a little easier to accept. I have to agree with him.

This is my first Winter in the upstate. I knew it wasn't a snowy place, but this is such a downer...LOL

Even just 3 or 4 inches would make me happy...LOLL

I guess since you live in Georgia, it would be easier to head up I-75, but Northern Virginia is an awesome place, so don't discount it yet...Good luck whichever you choose!! :snowing:

This is my first Winter in the upstate. I knew it wasn't a snowy place, but this is such a downer...LOL

Even just 3 or 4 inches would make me happy...LOLL

I guess since you live in Georgia, it would be easier to head up I-75, but Northern Virginia is an awesome place, so don't discount it yet...Good luck whichever you choose!! :snowing:

If I go to NoVa I'll pick you up on the way  :snowing:

HAHA.. oh man!! Never more than 4 inches?

You definitely need to take a road trip bro. I've seen dozens of 4 inch snows in my lifetime i would say. 2009-10 was amazing. IAD had 46 inches just in February. :lmao:

Archived