Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
New Years' Weekend Snow Potential

Rainman

:o bullish

I'd say look out if that initial slug overnight is more ice than snow.

Always gonna be a little more bullish on ice when the proceeding 48 hours plus are nice and cold and surfaces will only warm so much in the middle of the night. Nothing crazy but I expect a glaze even here on the lakefront.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the initial slug is what is setting off more alarms for me personally....as whether its snow or ice it may be enough to provide even just half a degree or degree of cooler temps Saturday during the rainier parts locally...which could spell some more troubles potentially (in addition to adding to any ice that has fallen/accumulated during the initial slug.  Fortunately I got too much sleep the last 24 hours, so I should have plenty of obs time early tomorrow am

Personally I don't see much to lock in the subfreezing air tomorrow.  I could be wrong but I forsee a lot of 33-34 obs in northeast IL tomorrow afternoon.  If the front end overperforms and lays down a couple inches then it would be interesting to see if that would have any effect.

GRR seems to think we'll struggle to make it to freezing tomorrow and expecting more snow at the onset.

They think a quarter inch of ice is likely, but will have to monitor trends closely.

I don't know. I thought, as usual, GRR NWS is being on the "warm side" and calling for way more rain than any model is showing.

Wonder if LOT and IWX may be underplaying the snow potential a bit overnight/early tomorrow in their northern and central cwa's.  Trends throughout the day are looking better and hi-res backs up the idea of 1-2" roughly north of I-80 in IL and IN.  Of course this assumes the thermal profiles are correct. 

Congrats Also on the 18z GFS! You're in line for 2-4" while I think MKE will see 1-2". Your 'wagons west's worked again (though not in your favor for the 1st storm).

Not too sure about that. Those maps depict precipitation that has fallen over the previous 6 hours, and the isotherm is where the temps are at the end of the period. Most of that will fall as rain with perhaps some snow showers on the end, certainly not amounting to 2-4". The ice is the bigger game-- tomorrow morning will be rough traveling.

Not too sure about that. Those maps depict precipitation that has fallen over the previous 6 hours, and the isotherm is where the temps are at the end of the period. Most of that will fall as rain with perhaps some snow showers on the end, certainly not amounting to 2-4". The ice is the bigger game-- tomorrow morning will be rough traveling.

All models show an axis of 1-4" with the backside deformation zone.

All models show an axis of 1-4" with the backside deformation zone.

Yes, but mostly to the north and west of Chicago itself. This is the 18z GFS purely defo band accumulations. The frames after/before I didn't include for total accumulation, so in reality the area receives more than this. But purely defo band snows:

post-9209-0-42408800-1420239302_thumb.pn

Yes, but mostly to the north and west of Chicago itself. This is the 18z GFS purely defo band accumulations. The frames after/before I didn't include for total accumulation, so in reality the area receives more than this. But purely defo band snows:

attachicon.gifGFS 18z.png

If you blend guidance it would bring bring accumulating snow potential into the city...And at ORD there's an even better chance.

If you blend guidance it would bring bring accumulating snow potential into the city...And at ORD there's an even better chance.

I'm certainly not discounting the potential for some accumulating snow on the backside, especially at ORD. My thinking though, is that the majority of the snow will come on the front end for most of Chicagoland, amounting to perhaps 1-1.5 inches. That said, I think the main area of interest is the potential for lake effect on Sunday when we have some decent northerly or NNE winds, for some decent accumulation in northern Indiana and far eastern Cook county.

Archived