northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
New Years' Weekend Snow Potential

Rainman

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 00z Euro text output suggests a decent front-end thump of snow (2-3") for the Toronto area tomorrow afternoon before changing to rain. It'll be interesting to see if this trend continues on the 12z runs.

As I said in an earlier post, this sort of reminds me of a storm we had in early January last year. We had front end snow followed by a change to rain.

Strong lake effect signal on the GFS for northwestern Indiana and extreme eastern Illinois, including parts of Chicago, between hours 48 and 60. NAM started to pick up on this as well. We could have a period of some strong northerly winds with the placement of this low.

noticed, something to watch i guess…couple more nudges south and things could get mildly interesting.

Haven't followed this too closely but it looks like we may able to sneak by with all frozen precip. Thermals get pretty marginal Saturday afternoon so wouldn't be surprised if sleet or rain mix in. Things look good Saturday night though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A blend of the faster onset of precip and the SE nudges of the low placement will greatly increase the ice potential for DTX and other regions which were in the much warmer sections of the system a few runs ago. This will be much more interesting to watch unfold than the last system.

Coming around to the idea of meaningful ice here. Surfaces are still super cold and we just aren't warming that fast. Probably still flip to plain rain but it's possible the precip shuts off before we do.

:o bullish

I'd say look out if that initial slug overnight is more ice than snow.

:o bullish

I'd say look out if that initial slug overnight is more ice than snow.

the initial slug is what is setting off more alarms for me personally....as whether its snow or ice it may be enough to provide even just half a degree or degree of cooler temps Saturday during the rainier parts locally...which could spell some more troubles potentially (in addition to adding to any ice that has fallen/accumulated during the initial slug.  Fortunately I got too much sleep the last 24 hours, so I should have plenty of obs time early tomorrow am

Archived