Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Christmas Grinch Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro certainly going to add to the drama for the overnight shift.

A lot of people on other forums (of course, this is the most educated forum) are pointing out that the hi-res models are the ones taking the further north and west tracks, while the long range models are slow to the party, but given the GEM, UKIE and the Euro are in an easterly camp relatively speaking, can't count out a last minute east trend.

A lot of people on other forums (of course, this is the most educated forum) are pointing out that the hi-res models are the ones taking the further north and west tracks, while the long range models are slow to the party, but given the GEM, UKIE and the Euro are in an easterly camp relatively speaking, can't count out a last minute east trend.

Only speaking for myself but I give more credence to the hi-res stuff once we're within 24-36 hours.  Been burned in the past when disregarding those in light of the lower res models.  We'll be more into that window on the 12z runs.

Only speaking for myself but I give more credence to the hi-res stuff once we're within 24-36 hours.  Been burned in the past when disregarding those in light of the lower res models.  We'll be more into that window on the 12z runs.

Yep, I agree with that.  Therefore, I wouldn't put too much stock in the RGEMs, WRF NMMs and ARWs when they are in the 36-48 hr range from the storm in question.

I actually wouldn't be overly surprised if those (including me at times) who congratulated the GFS and scoffed at the Euro and NAM were slapped in the face by a freak last minute east/weakening shift.  I have to say if that does happen this might end up being the most hilarious storm to have tracked in hindsight, so frustrating yet comedically so.

I actually wouldn't be overly surprised if those (including me at times) who congratulated the GFS and scoffed at the Euro and NAM were slapped in the face by a freak last minute east/weakening shift. I have to say if that does happen this might end up being the most hilarious storm to have tracked in hindsight, so frustrating yet comedically so.

Always playing the pessimistic card. Storm after storm. Winter after winter.

I actually wouldn't be overly surprised if those (including me at times) who congratulated the GFS and scoffed at the Euro and NAM were slapped in the face by a freak last minute east/weakening shift.  I have to say if that does happen this might end up being the most hilarious storm to have tracked in hindsight, so frustrating yet comedically so.

I don't think the paths are that different on the models. When comparing the maps, the thing that makes the biggest difference is the angle. It is a question of whether the deformation zone heads in a south to north direction (favoring Rockford up through Illinois), or a SW to NE direction (favoring Chicagoland and Western Michigan).

Can't rule out an east shift but it would be pretty stunning if it whiffs Chicago to the east.

I'm no expert, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt (and please correct me if needed).

Looking over 0z model guidance and comparing to 6z observations, I found that the 0z NAM and 0z NAM hi-res are forecasting this trough too strong, by an eyeball comparison of 500mb abs. vorticity maps. The best model I could find that matched up with current OBS (in terms of the vort maps) was the 3z RAP.

On a side note, the RUC hasn't updated in 11 days.

0z NAM Bufkit data for DPA...some of the highest omega values (in red contour) I've seen around here since GHD. Also included the DGZ and elevated CAPE in yellow

attachicon.gifbufkit.png

If that sort of omega does in fact occur in the DGZ wherever the deform sets up, that would suggest warning criteria snows...outstanding cross-hair signature for almost 6 hours.

Took a quick glance at that earlier.  Strong wind fields but questions about instability as usual at this time of year.

A couple hundred J/kg will be enough to bring some winds down to the surface especially in the frontally forced rain band.

Edit: both NAMs and the Euro show this actually happening too, 4km NAM/12km NAM have 300-600 J/kg while the Euro is 200-500 J/kg.

Archived