Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Christmas Grinch Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your RFD to OSH call that you pounded your chest over is in jeopardy.

Going to take a last-minute NW jog in defo placement , not unheard of but looking less and less likely based on current conditions. That said, i called RFD to Moneyman ~130 hrs out when everyone was congratulating Detroit. 

Going to take a last-minute NW jog in defo placement , not unheard of but looking less and less likely based on current conditions. That said, i called RFD to Moneyman ~130 hrs out when everyone was congratulating Detroit.

I like where we are, but no matter how much I try, I just can't shake that initial concern of mine about accumulations. I think a lot of this will be lost to melting, except under very heavy bands. Especially with the GFS, we're looking at an earlier arrival and warmer temperatures. I will say, it is encouraging to see the Euro so Far East, because I would hate to be running on the eastern fringes on every model for a storm like this.

I like where we are, but no matter how much I try, I just can't shake that initial concern of mine about accumulations. I think a lot of this will be lost to melting, except under very heavy bands. Especially with the GFS, we're looking at an earlier arrival and warmer temperatures. I will say, it is encouraging to see the Euro so Far East, because I would hate to be running on the eastern fringes on every model for a storm like this.

I think there are enough signs pointing towards a peak intensity defo band across the CWA. Yes, much of the day will be wet garbage but I think there were be a 3-4 hour window where we could really go to town with wet +SN.

Rickey via LOT...

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

1037 AM CST TUE DEC 23 2014

.UPDATE...

1037 AM CST

CHRISTMAS EVE STORM UPDATE...

THE LATEST AVAILABLE 12Z GUIDANCE HAS HONED IN PRETTY CLOSELY ON A

LOW PRESSURE TRACK FROM FROM CENTRAL KY TO NEAR IND TO CENTRAL OR

SOUTHWEST LOWER MI ON WEDNESDAY. THIS GIVES US MORE CONFIDENCE IN

WHERE THE HEAVIEST SWATH OF PRECIPITATION WILL FALL IN THE INTENSE

DEFORMATION AXIS. THERE IS A STILL A SIGNIFICANT TIMING

DISCREPANCY BETWEEN THE NAM ON THE SLOW END OF THE GUIDANCE

ENVELOPE AND 12Z GFS ON THE FASTEST END...AS IT HAS CONSISTENTLY

SHOWN FOR SEVERAL MODEL CYCLES. SO CONFIDENCE IS LOWER ON TIMING

AND DURATION OF HEAVY PRECIP...WITH THE GFS SUGGESTING THAT THE

BULK OF THE PRECIPITATION FALLS BETWEEN 06Z AND 18Z...WHILE THE

NAM FAVORS THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION OVER THE CHICAGO METRO AND

POINTS EAST FROM THE LATE MORNING UNTIL THE LATE AFTERNOON.

THE BIGGEST QUESTION MARK REMAINS WITH THE VERY MARGINAL BOUNDARY

LAYER CONDITIONS FOR SNOW AT PRECIP ONSET AND THROUGH MUCH OF THE

EVENT. PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO START AS RAIN THEN FLIP OVER

TO SNOW. THE THINKING IS THAT THE GFS IS NOT HANDLING THE DYNAMIC

COOLING OFFERED BY THE INTENSE UPWARD MOTION IN THE HEART OF THE

FRONTOGENETICALLY DRIVEN DEFORMATION BAND...AND THUS REMAINS TOO

WARM WITH NEAR SFC THERMAL PROFILES AND MOST OF THE PRECIP FALLS

IN THE FORM OF RAIN/MIX. THE FORECAST WILL LEAN IN FAVOR OF

DYNAMIC COOLING OFFSETTING THE INITIALLY MARGINAL

CONDITIONS...WHICH IS CAPTURED WELL BY THE 12Z NAM. HOWEVER...IT

WILL LIKELY BE A VERY LOW SNOW TO LIQUID RATIO SNOW AND THE HUGE

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS ON THE NAM COBB OUTPUT ARE VERY LIKELY OVERDONE.

WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE REST OF THE 12Z GUIDANCE BEFORE MAKING ANY

HEADLINE DECISIONS...WHICH WILL LIKELY BE MADE BY THE EARLY

AFTERNOON. OVERALL THINKING REMAINS THAT CONFIDENCE IS GROWING IN

A HIGH IMPACT SNOW EVENT ACROSS PART OF THE CWA TOMORROW...WHICH

IS BECOMING MORE LIKELY TO INCLUDE THE CHICAGO METRO. THE SPS HAS

BEEN UPDATED.

RC

Rickey via LOT...

Good write-up. I guess my concern is not so much will it snow or not snow, but when it is snowing, how much of it will stick. In my experience, especially in urban areas these rain to snow events with marginal BL temps tend to underperform on the ground. It could be snowing a good deal, but very little would actually accumulate.

Good write-up. I guess my concern is not so much will it snow or not snow, but when it is snowing, how much of it will stick. In my experience, especially in urban areas these rain to snow events with marginal BL temps tend to underperform on the ground. It could be snowing a good deal, but very little would actually accumulate.

oh I hear ya...

if the rates are there.....well then you just have flakes falling on other flakes before they get a chance to melt....if the rates are marginal then, yeah tough to accumulate on pavement.  Some guidance is pointing towards pockets of rates that will do the trick for rapid accumulation

Archived