CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Christmas Grinch Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z NAM sticking with a quality defo structure for the most highly advertised areas. good bit quicker as well

EDIT: probably the best overall weenie run for MBY, starts wet but wicked defo structure hits and we'd flip to SN with ease and it wraps up nice and tight in just the right spot. 

6z

nam_namer_036_sim_radar.gif

12z

nam_namer_030_sim_radar.gif

I saw, it is a beautiful defo band that peaks right over the meat of the CWA. This is going to be a really photogenic cement storm for someone in your CWA.

Some eye popping numbers from the 12z NAM Cobb. Overdone but fun to look at.

12 km NAM Cobb output is 16" for DPA, 9" for ORD, 6" for MDW and 7" for CGX. 4km Cobb for ORD is 15", 13.5" for DPA, 9" for MDW and 9" for CGX.

Yes/no on blizzard warnings with this system? Have to think if a solution like the above 4km-NAM pans out that there's a chance since the system will have wound up enough by the time it reaches that far north to have some strong surface winds accompany the heavy snow. Flakes being so heavy and water logged would probably minimize the effect of any blowing snow.

Thinking blanket WSWs will be issued and maybe a few counties upgraded at the last minute given the remaining uncertainty on where heaviest snow sets up. Those that get upgraded would likely be the the NW MI crew. For those farther south I don't think the system will have tightened up enough yet to meet the wind/visibility criteria despite some of the big QPF numbers coming out.

Did I miss the GFS? No real commentary.

it was meh, warmish and not overly dynamic but not wildly out of line with general guidance.

i suspect intense convection is going to make model handling of the gulf coast state low difficult (to be clear i'm not talking about that tired moisture transport meme), not to mention the energy will soon be rounding the base of the trough

It's already in E Texas?  I heard the RAP is stronger/west of other guidance, maybe it can lead the way.

I was mistaken. the low I think is around 1002mb now. it was stronger earlier. it is forecasted to ramp up again as the jet streak rounds the base of the trough and goes more neg tilt. and yea I seen that. rap def looks more west of guidance. it runs a north to south baroclinic zone around or just east of the IL/IN border. def something to watch closely

It's already in E Texas?  I heard the RAP is stronger/west of other guidance, maybe it can lead the way.

there really isn't a well defined southern surface low yet, it's more of weak & broad elongated area a hundred miles offshore or so of Beaumont, TX with a cold front stretching NNE from the LA/MS border north of Baton Rouge. I suspect we see the low take shape in south or southwest MS. o

there really isn't a well defined southern surface low yet, it's more of weak & broad elongated area a hundred miles offshore or so of Beaumont, TX with a cold front stretching NNE from the LA/MS border north of Baton Rouge. I suspect we see the low take shape in south or southwest MS. o

Your RFD to OSH call that you pounded your chest over is in jeopardy.

you summed it up well. nothing really has got its act together yet. just a waiting game now on that jet streak to round the base and get the show going.

Archived