CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Christmas Grinch Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all the talk about model performance, I decided to take a look at the GFS, GFS-Para, GEM, and ECMWF 12Z and 00Z runs for the past 5 days. I plotted the location of the low at the approximate time when it crossed I-80 to best analyze its track accuracy and intensity and ignoring any temporal differences. Here are the results. 

GFS has a decent cluster between MI/IN/OH border and Cleveland and then 3 model runs which are not clustered. 

post-8696-0-81723500-1419286350_thumb.jp

GFS Parallel has had the worst consistency among them all. If the further west track does verify though, it had the most runs which picked up on this trend.

post-8696-0-84729800-1419286464_thumb.jp

GEM The GEM is remarkably consistent with location between South Bend and Toledo Ohio. The intensity is quite variable though with a minimum of 974 and a max of 1004. 

post-8696-0-46454700-1419286534_thumb.jp

ECMWF also had a pretty good cluster like the GFS, but then had 3 runs which were way off and east. 

post-8696-0-64828800-1419286570_thumb.jp

I will be curious to compare these maps to the final track to get an idea for which model performed the best. If we don't get a westward trend, then the GEM looks like the winner. 

This Snow Weenie from Tulsa will be in extreme SE Iowa for Christmas Eve/Day with the wife's family.

I need >1" to happen there. That's all I ask. The models are driving me nuts. Giving hope and taking away.

Models are bullies.

I'm not even familiar with snow trends in your parts (although it probably wouldn't even matter to know given the absurdity of modeling with this system).

IND discounting a Hoosier fantasy.  But the last sentence still gives us some weenie hope   :cry:

"THE NAM SEEMS OVERLY AGGRESSIVE AND PRODUCES TOO MUCH SNOW AS IT
TAKES THE SURFACE LOW FARTHER EAST AND HAS DEVELOPS MORE OF A CLOSED
UPPER LOW ACROSS OUR REGION WEDNESDAY EVENING. BUFKIT GIVES AS
MUCH AS 9 INCHES OF SNOW IN LAFAYETTE WHICH IS WAY TOO MUCH.
THE
NAM SHOWS SOME CONVECTIVE FEED BACK ISSUES AND WILL DISCARD. WILL
GO MORE OF GFS EUROPEAN BLEND WHICH TAKES THE SURFACE LOW NEAR OR
SLIGHTLY JUST EAST OF INDY AND IS SOMEWHAT MORE CONSERVATIVE WITH
SNOWFALL."

more upstream with the initial northern wave then the main system we are tracking, but some nice obs out of URN....

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RAPID CITY SD
443 PM MST MON DEC 22 2014

0347 PM     NON-TSTM WND GST RAPID CITY AIRPORT      44.05N 103.06W
12/22/2014  M61 MPH          PENNINGTON         SD   ASOS

325 PM MST MON DEC 22 2014

0300 PM     NON-TSTM WND GST ELLSWORTH AFB           44.15N 103.10W
12/22/2014  M63 MPH          MEADE              SD   OTHER FEDERAL

443 PM MST MON DEC 22 2014

0400 PM     HIGH SUST WINDS  RAPID CITY AIRPORT      44.05N 103.06W
12/22/2014  M46 MPH          PENNINGTON         SD   ASOS

This will be cool to look at when it gets in range.  Can just start to see a changeover toward the end of the run.

post-14-0-23998900-1419294120_thumb.gif

Some of the simulated reflectivity products have been showing convective type elements.  Was checking into thundersnow potential and it doesn't look overwhelmingly favorable but maybe a met can chime in.

This will be cool to look at when it gets in range.  Can just start to see a changeover toward the end of the run.

attachicon.gifwrf_nmmeast-radar-loop_1hour.gif

Some of the simulated reflectivity products have been showing convective type elements.  Was checking into thundersnow potential and it doesn't look overwhelmingly favorable but maybe a met can chime in.

Cannot completely rule it out. Pretty significant EPV above the best Fgen and Omega from KVPZ to KRFD on the GFS. Best time frame looks around 12Z. 

Edit: Would agree that it doesn't look overwhelmingly favorable though. 

Cannot completely rule it out. Pretty significant EPV above the best Fgen and Omega from KVPZ to KRFD on the GFS. Best time frame looks around 12Z.

Edit: Would agree that it doesn't look overwhelmingly favorable though.

Agree with this from what I looked at today. Nice combination of -EPV above impressive fgen in the deformation axis. Also the midlevel lapse rates are pretty steep, so can't rule out some minor upright instability. The GFS soundings for Chicago are indicating small cape values.

This will be cool to look at when it gets in range. Can just start to see a changeover toward the end of the run.

attachicon.gifwrf_nmmeast-radar-loop_1hour.gif

Some of the simulated reflectivity products have been showing convective type elements. Was checking into thundersnow potential and it doesn't look overwhelmingly favorable but maybe a met can chime in.

ILX mentioned possible Convective elements with this system... it was mentioned in the latest AFD

00Z NAM compared to 18Z NAM....

keeping the northern stream system a little stronger longer...drags the 850 freezing line a little further east in the Northern IL area at least....

southern SLP looking stronger also through 05Z 24DEC .... much wetter on the cold side as well

I think this will be the run that finally makes a move toward the others.  Maybe not all the way.

Archived