Newest Member
    joxey
Christmas Grinch Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for a little bit more perspective:

The layer of warm air is quite shallow. We can see that at the onset of precipitation, 900mb is even just below freezing. At the heaviest precipitation, the 925mb layer is hovering right around freezing. This is MDW text soundings:

http://68.226.77.253/text/GFS/GFS_KMDW.txt

My concern is primarily with the strength of the cold air in the upper layers of the atmosphere. You have to go all the way up to the 600mb layer to get temperatures around -10. Even 700mb is only hovering between -4 and -7. Snow growth is going to be poor, and even though precipitation may be hard enough to overcome marginal BL temps, I doubt much of this slop will accumulate-- especially in urban areas and if this occurs during the daytime. 

I'll take what the EURO is showing. I'm sure the NAM will make a big jump NW soon. It is good at doing that in only 1 or 2 runs.

Yep, the new upgraded NAM is always the last on board to figure out the storm track, long gone are it's days of being the most amped up nw trend sniffing model, the 4km hires versions is probably closer to reality and what the old NAM would say but too amped up and NW. I'm riding the Euro on this, it's been all over the map but more consistent than the other models so far.

So consistently too far east and wrong, where the GFS/PGFS have been farther west for several runs now.

Wow I didn't think my last post would ire the great chi storm :D I love your insight, and wish you would post more actually. I just think the Euro has been more consistent on it's track from around toledo up lake huron. not that it's latest track is good for MBY it shows the main band of snow in western mi. I am well aware of the rgem/pgfs/hires nam being on the far western solutions right now. all I can say is the model spread is really wide still being only 54hrs or so out.

Wow I didn't think my last post would ire the great chi storm :D I love your insight, and wish you would post more actually. I just think the Euro has been more consistent on it's track from around toledo up lake huron. not that it's latest track is good for MBY it shows the main band of snow in western mi. I am well aware of the rgem/pgfs/hires nam being on the far western solutions right now. all I can say is the model spread is really wide still being only 54hrs or so out.

don't poke the bear

and model spread really isn't that wide, consensus on cutting the low towards northern indiana is solid

Archived