CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Christmas Grinch Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This isn't going to cut over Madison or anything but i still like a track to extreme NW Indiana with a RFD to Moneyman jackpot, although i'm starting to feel like that may be too far southwest :yikes: gonna ride it just because i made the call when everyone was congratulating Detroit :lmao:

Nailed it.

;)  :P

Anyways, this kinda sucks. But good luck to the northern IN and western MI peeps. Hope it pours snow.  :snowing:

Amazed it's taken until now for a DAB call.

Just goes to show the unique evolution of this system.

Not sure a DAB call within 12-18 hrs. of an event means much. And I look for Chistorms calls cause there relevant. Winter trend of under performance might be being established. Recall, last Christmas got 2inches of snow when flurries were the call. Those winters must be valued. Other note, computer model forecasting is still somewhat comical. Mother Nature is boss.

Also, nam was a joke yesterday. Today it's boss by some. Thinking this puppy might be a dud across the board.

In a lot of ways this is what makes meteorology fun but also incredibly frustrating, especially when being charged with making tough decisions in complex situations with lots of variability and lower confidence. Ultimately had to hope that most of the guidance today had a clue, and had no reason to think otherwise based on observational data. If it ends up being a bust in our area, just gonna have to take my lumps.

In a lot of ways this is what makes meteorology fun but also incredibly frustrating, especially when being charged with making tough decisions in complex situations with lots of variability and lower confidence. Ultimately had to hope that most of the guidance today had a clue, and had no reason to think otherwise based on observational data. If it ends up being a bust in our area, just gonna have to take my lumps.

With a lot of the recent models changes it makes it even harder I bet.  We used to know many of the model biases, tendencies and trends but those are not as well defined since they made these updates.

Wow, hard to believe the model that held its own against all others is the one that's about to score. Really instills faith in the Euro, although quite honestly it could have been the other way around.

Just to be fair to the other models, the Euro did waver plenty. However, it was always on the eastern end of guidance and right now is looking to be correct barring a swing back left.

In a lot of ways this is what makes meteorology fun but also incredibly frustrating, especially when being charged with making tough decisions in complex situations with lots of variability and lower confidence. Ultimately had to hope that most of the guidance today had a clue, and had no reason to think otherwise based on observational data. If it ends up being a bust in our area, just gonna have to take my lumps

I'm fairly certain no one envied your position in the office today...Such a tough call one week out....let alone one day out....considering the population and the holiday with all of the hokey pokey via guidance

I will say though on the 00z NAM, I'm not entirely convinced that areas on the northwest border of Indiana and Illinois don't do well. We don't have the bulk of the precip, but there is a slug of moisture as lower level temps start to crash. 850s remain below freezing for the entire period, and even temps at 925mb start to crash at hour 18:

post-9209-0-80700700-1419389702_thumb.gi

I will say though on the 00z NAM, I'm not entirely convinced that areas on the northwest border of Indiana and Illinois don't do well. We don't have the bulk of the precip, but there is a slug of moisture as lower level temps start to crash. 850s remain below freezing for the entire period, and even temps at 925mb start to crash at hour 18:

NAM 00z.gif

See my post on the previous page about the WAA pattern being favorable

Well GRR definitely has some things to consider tonight! Now it's time to just sit back and see what happens.

Probably just wise to leaves the winter weather headlines alone until the precipitation and deformation band starts developing.

I will say one thing, it cooled off quicker than forecast.

Part of the problem on the 00z NAM for Chicagoland and into the nearby Indiana suburbs is the delayed changeover on the 00z compared to 18z taken verbatim.  The run brings a decent amount of precip into the south suburbs and certainly across the border into IN but the changeover takes longer (similar thing also on the 4km run).

post-14-0-53716900-1419391438_thumb.gif

While it is clear the trend maybe east. It is interesting to watch the jump on the NAM solution. Same model some asked yesterday why it still ran.

AND IN ALIGNMENT WITH THE ANALYSIS ABOVE. HAVE CONSIDERED SHIFTING

GEARS A BIT TAKING THE FOCUS FOR HEAVIEST PRECIP A LITTLE FURTHER

EAST BUT WITH THE INCONSISTENCY OF THE NAM OF LATE...THE PENDING

ARRIVAL OF A MYRIAD OF NEW 00Z GUIDANCE AND COORDINATION WITH

NEIGHBORING WFOS AND WPC...WILL HOLD OFF ON ANY CHANGES FOR NOW.

THERMAL PROFILES CONTINUE TO BE A CHALLENGE AND MAY STILL REQUIRE

VERY STRONG FORCING TO PRODUCE ALL SNOW. IT APPEARS THAT THE BEST

FORCING MAY TRY TO SHIFT A LITTLE TO THE EAST OF THE GOING

Archived