CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Christmas Grinch Storm Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Super frustrating system to try to forecast.  Model handling in terms of details has been pretty bad with some worse than others.  EC/UKMET maintained more of an eastward track over the past few days but it seems like all models were too quick to deepen the surface/upper low in their prior runs, which makes all the difference in a setup like this when you're reliant on dynamic cooling.  Hence, the area affected is smaller than what it would've been.

RC from LOT mentioned the extensive convection possibly playing a role in the weaker/farther east outcome.  This is tough to figure out either way until very close in as the opposite can happen and result in a more rapidly deepening system.

I feel bad for the mets on this one.  At some point you have to make a call in terms of watches, etc. even if confidence isn't as high as you'd like.  That's what they are for.  Throw in that it's a holiday and people would've been ticked off had it gone the other way and there had been accumulating snow with little/no heads up.

RC from LOT mentioned the extensive convection possibly playing a role in the weaker/farther east outcome.  This is tough to figure out either way until very close in as the opposite can happen and result in a more rapidly deepening system.

I feel bad for the mets on this one.  At some point you have to make a call in terms of watches, etc. even if confidence isn't as high as you'd like.  That's what they are for.  Throw in that it's a holiday and people would've been ticked off had it gone the other way and there had been accumulating snow with little/no heads up.

I am very glad all I ever really expected was rain and wind (heck even the wind is going to be a minor event).  I am all to used to convection causing undesired outcomes.  Happens frequently around here.  Overall this was one of the more difficult systems to forecast I have seen in quite some time.

Big Rapids is reporting light snow now, 12z 4km nam shows the changeover getting going better around 18-19z so maybe it has a clue. a few blips of blue showing in north and west michigan on the intellicast radar which i find is pretty accurate :D

Someone gets 8+.

DTX finally put up a WWA.

Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI325 PM EST WED DEC 24 2014...QUICK BURST OF HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE LATE THIS EVENING...MIZ047>049-053-054-060-061-250500-/O.NEW.KDTX.WW.Y.0013.141225T0100Z-141225T0500Z/MIDLAND-BAY-HURON-SAGINAW-TUSCOLA-SHIAWASSEE-GENESEE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MIDLAND...BAY CITY...BAD AXE...SAGINAW...CARO...OWOSSO...FLINT325 PM EST WED DEC 24 2014...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TOMIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DETROIT/PONTIAC HAS ISSUED AWINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PMTHIS EVENING TO MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT.HAZARDOUS WEATHER... * RAIN WILL CHANGE OVER TO LOCALLY HEAVY WET SNOW AFTER 8 PM * 2 TO 3 INCHES WILL RAPIDLY ACCUMULATE IN 3 HOURS OR LESS. THE   MOST LIKELY LOCATION FOR HEAVY SNOW IS IN THE SAGINAW VALLEY.

And GRR just removed the lakeshore counties from it's WWA and filled in a couple counties that looked stupid with no advisory next to the DTX one :D

The GRR NWS forecast discussion was the most depressing discussion for this snow lover. We've had some flake mixing in here and there, but that's it. Sigh. Maybe an inch tonight?

And GRR just removed the lakeshore counties from it's WWA and filled in a couple counties that looked stupid with no advisory next to the DTX one :D

Looks like DTX filled those two in now.

Noticed a few reports of unknown precip east of Grand Rapids in that bright banded area. If there are flakes making it to the ground, I bet they're monsters!

Archived