• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Wintry/Severe/Normal Storm threat 12/19-21

deltadog03

Interestingly enough it seems like the models are starting to pick up on the CAD....CMC has a weak one with a 1024 H in NY. GFS is late like the CMC with a weak High. GFS PARA flirts with a 1028. GEFS has a 1024 in the area. All of them are a little late with the timing but again it should be watched especially if the Euro looks like it did last night. Could see a big threat for ice if so. 

We'll have to track the availability of cold/dry air to our north. Would like to see some single digit dew point temps near DC and upper teens into NC.

Not quit there on the NAM:

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=12&model_dd=16&model_init_hh=12&fhour=84&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1028 will get it done, espeacilly if it's just getting entrenched as moisture arrives. You have to watch the dps, that's the trick . You get upper teens it's a good bet that if you'll wet bulb below freezing and fight off the latent heat release from liquid freezing as long as you keep the caa or ne wind up while moisture is falling.

Man I'm getting jacked with some of the analog years for the upper air pattern the last week of December.

Man, sitting at plus 1 at 850 sucks!

I think that's where I sat at during last winter's major ice storm in March.  Instead of well over a foot of snow, I ended up with 3" of sleet and a lot of freezing rain.  It was an interesting storm, though.

BTW, speaking of weaker high pressures and CAD, wasn't the HP in place during the 3/6-7 ice storm last winter only 1028 mb?  I might be remembering wrong, though.  Obviously, it was weak enough that it didn't really do the trick much S/E of here, though.

12z is much warmer though...you can say what you want about the GFS but the Euro is moving to a weaker/warmer like the GFS.  Looks like all rain for all of NC.

Yep, I look for GSP to remove the mention of snow from my forecast with this afternoon's package. I know it hasn't happened yet, but we might want to remember this later in the season when the Euro shows a bomb and the GFS is weaker and warmer. I recall a storm last winter that the Euro over-amped. The GFS was right on that one as well. Who knows??

Bingo.  That's what old Cold Rain's been a sayin'.

HAH....well I doubt this will magically get stronger the next few days.  Euro is always a little to deep at day 5-7 but I thought it would have been stronger than this.  Oh well, atleast we go some 35F/rain to look forward to this weekend, and the inevitable pattern change to 33F/rain.

It looks like the euro has gone a little bit towards the Canadian and the GFS. Yes, the euro is a much better model, but that doesn't always mean it's right. The flow might be too fast right now, so therefore the GFS might do a little bit better with this.if I was in western North Carolina I still think ice a definite possibility however those possibilities are actually decreasing in my opinion. Plus it looks like there is no snow through Tennessee or Kentucky with this at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the euro has gone a little bit towards the Canadian and the GFS. Yes, the euro is a much better model, but that doesn't always mean it's right. The flow might be too fast right now, so therefore the GFS might do a little bit better with this.if I was in western North Carolina I still think ice a definite possibility however those possibilities are actually decreasing in my opinion. Plus it looks like there is no snow through Tennessee or Kentucky with this at all.

Sent from my iPhone

Look at it on the bright side..... at least it's not a lakes-cutter. I absolutely despise cutters. I would rather take my chances with a good track and no cold air, than to watch Chicago get a blizzard.

lol.. yeah usually it's around your area. Maybe we have a sleet fest.

I was shocked last winter in the February storm when we picked up 2" while a couple of miles down the road got nothing.  We are always on the other side of the line but karma caught up I guess.  It is amazing how it always seems to be 33 and rain.

I was shocked last winter in the February storm when we picked up 2" while a couple of miles down the road got nothing. We are always on the other side of the line but karma caught up I guess. It is amazing how it always seems to be 33 and rain.

yeah we got a foot out of that storm did not mix at all either.

Let's remember that we are still 80+ hours out on this event starting. Trends are not good today, but we've seen models waiver in the 3-4 day range before. Not expecting anything frozen imby either way.

Lets also remember that we are 124 hours into this thread.  There has to be a message in there somewhere.

Archived