CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA & Fringes - December-January 2014-15

djr5001

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New SREF plumes and even the new Euro indicate that some severe mixing issues could cut down snow amounts considerably SE of KMDT. Geez. What a trend.

HRRR and RAP have been showing big time mixing issues all day SE of MDT.  This is why I couldn't understand why NWS jumped totals up significantly after 9z SREF and 12z NAM before rest of 12z came in because of them showing higher precip even though there were signs that there is a layer that will be roughly a degree on either side of freezing mark in profile.  Will be interesting to see how everything plays out tonight but I am still concerned about mixing killing forecast totals.  Once again I am glad I am not the one that has to issue the forecast!! :lmao:

34/27 here at Millersville. After talking with Eric Horst, he's using Rt. 30 as the dividing line for the southern tier. 1-3" south of it and 2-5" north. He also likes the best axis of snow similar to that of CTP, but he had his totals around 3-6" out there with some spots exceeding 6". The combination of no high to the north and a southern fetch aloft, which models tend to underestimate, gives him pause about whether the southern areas get anything substantial. He did mention that it wouldn't take too big of a shift for things to change for a greater snow potential for everyone, but it's not the likely scenario. 

I personally like 4-7" out around the 81 corridor to northern Dauphin, Perry, Cumberland and Lebanon counties. 3-6" for northern Adams, northern York and Lancaster and southern Dauphin. 2-4" for the cities of York, Lancaster and Gettysburg and points south to the MD line. I think sleet in the lower areas will be more common with a warm nose aloft. A decrease in rates will help that warm layer sneak in overnight for the 2-4" area and even parts of the 3-6" area. It's a fine line for this system. I agree with Joe. If we had just a measly 1022 high over Quebec, this would be an easy warning criteria event. Instead, we are at the mercy of dynamic cooling which I'm not the biggest fan of after being on the wrong side of the coin a few times. A storm is a storm though. At least we have something to track.

Nice! They all miss ya in the SE forum BTW (UNC Asheville, right?).

Yep... 2011 alum! I was posting on the southeast forum last night and they are always so nice when I drop by to make a few comments  :wub:

Hey thanks ^_^

Great site Phil! Hopefully there will be more floating it to UNV ;)

Thanks guys :)... as long as there is interesting weather somewhere, that's where I'll try to put the floater grid. I'd make grids to every section of the US but I don't have the computing resources, so I've got a grid setup for Albany (where I'm living currently), for the WxChallenge location (which is in Phoenix, AZ for next week), and then for wherever there is interesting weather. Its pretty easy for me to move it around now that I've updated the code on my website to take any ASOS station in the US to center the grid on. In the future I want to make some other useful products, so if you guys have any requests or ideas for additional products I am all ears! 

34/27 here at Millersville. After talking with Eric Horst, he's using Rt. 30 as the dividing line for the southern tier. 1-3" south of it and 2-5" north. He also likes the best axis of snow similar to that of CTP, but he had his totals around 3-6" out there with some spots exceeding 6". The combination of no high to the north and a southern fetch aloft, which models tend to underestimate, gives him pause about whether the southern areas get anything substantial. He did mention that it wouldn't take too big of a shift for things to change for a greater snow potential for everyone, but it's not the likely scenario.

I personally like 4-7" out around the 81 corridor to northern Dauphin, Perry, Cumberland and Lebanon counties. 3-6" for northern Adams, northern York and Lancaster and southern Dauphin. 2-4" for the cities of York, Lancaster and Gettysburg and points south to the MD line. I think sleet in the lower areas will be more common with a warm nose aloft. A decrease in rates will help that warm layer sneak in overnight for the 2-4" area and even parts of the 3-6" area. It's a fine line for this system. I agree with Joe. If we had just a measly 1022 high over Quebec, this would be an easy warning criteria event. Instead, we are at the mercy of dynamic cooling which I'm not the biggest fan of after being on the wrong side of the coin a few times. A storm is a storm though. At least we have something to track.

This seems very reasonable. I'm right on route 30.

Yep... 2011 alum! I was posting on the southeast forum last night and they are always so nice when I drop by to make a few comments  :wub:

Thanks guys :)... as long as there is interesting weather somewhere, that's where I'll try to put the floater grid. I'd make grids to every section of the US but I don't have the computing resources, so I've got a grid setup for Albany (where I'm living currently), for the WxChallenge location (which is in Phoenix, AZ for next week), and then for wherever there is interesting weather. Its pretty easy for me to move it around now that I've updated the code on my website to take any ASOS station in the US to center the grid on. In the future I want to make some other useful products, so if you guys have any requests or ideas for additional products I am all ears! 

Good stuff, frontogenesis + RH plots would be awesome!

Speaking of dynamic cooling Some here may remember the Surprise Christmas snow sometime in the 2000's. Was suppose to be a mainly rain event ending with little snow. The rained changed to heavy snow mid morning and received in LSV around 5 inches of heavy wet snow and temps were in upper 30's at the change over. Not saying this is the same but temps dropped by like 5 degrees when it changed over to heavy snow.

Looks like the latest 18z GFS run has the most negative omega values higher up in the atmosphere between 03 and 09z for UNV. If that verifies, we might actually get some pretty good snow growth as this lift is right near the -15C level.

post-869-0-28129200-1422055175_thumb.png

It seems like the biggest change in guidance since this morning is a more coherent jet streak is forecast, where much of central PA will be in the rising branch of the left exit region.

WND250gfs212F12.png

Looks like the latest 18z GFS run has the most negative omega values higher up in the atmosphere between 03 and 09z for UNV. If that verifies, we might actually get some pretty good snow growth as this lift is right near the -15C level.

attachicon.gifScreenshot from 2015-01-23 18:12:00.png

It seems like the biggest change in guidance since this morning is a more coherent jet streak is forecast, where much of central PA will be in the rising branch of the left exit region.

WND250gfs212F12.png

Nice find Heavy. Thanks. Not a bad look for most of the state judging by that jet setup. Bring it on  :thumbsup:

Archived