• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2014-15 Banter Thread

Stormlover74

That makes a lot more sense Don . I did not think you were calling for 7 to 10 days of above.

We seem to agree that we go from well below normal to just below normal and in mid and late jan when splits are 37 27 below normal is cold any way you slice it.

The euro 10 to 16 is colder than the GFS and more in line with the much below normal look. I personally think we head back to the much below towards the end of the forecast period

I agree with the above. At this time, the ugly extended range of the 6z run of the GFS has no impact on my thinking. The dramatic swing from little or no qpf to >1" qpf between the 0z/6z runs and 12z run for the NYC metro area provides an example of how the model is really struggling.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 12z is entirely different in the extended range. I'm not really worried too much about the fantasy range at this point. The pattern looks better and there should be Arctic air available to be tapped.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the above. At this time, the ugly extended range of the 6z run of the GFS has no impact on my thinking. The dramatic swing from little or no qpf to >1" qpf between the 0z/6z runs and 12z run for the NYC metro area provides an example of how the model is really struggling.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 12z is entirely different in the extended range. I'm not really worried too much about the fantasy range at this point. The pattern looks better and there should be Arctic air available to be tapped.

Well said, Don. People need to stop living model run to model run. It's only going to drive them insane. 

The wild swing on the fantasy range GFS is pretty laughable though. Yesterday's 18z run had me not getting out of the single digits for highs in late January, this morning's run had me at 60 degrees in almost the exact same time frame.

The wild swing on the fantasy range GFS is pretty laughable though. Yesterday's 18z run had me not getting out of the single digits for highs in late January, this morning's run had me at 60 degrees in almost the exact same time frame.

In general, 06z and 18z runs of the GFS should be taken with a grain of salt because there are no balloon launches at those synoptic times.  It is good for comic effect though!  :)

One should be very wary about latching onto extended range forecasts when model performance is volatile, especially in the short-range. The GFS has displayed poor run-to-run continuity in the short-range. Below are some differences between the 1/16 6z and 12z runs of the GFS for New York City:

GFS01162015.jpg

In contrast, the ECMWF and ECMWF ensembles and GFS ensembles have been more consistent.

Finally, a comparison of the CPC probabilistic idea and the temperature anomalies is below for January 3-9, 2015, during another period where model run-to-run continuity was lacking with regard to the East Coast.

January3to92015_Temperature_Anomalies.jp

First, I thought you had me on ignore. Glad you don't.

Second, I have certainly not said we ARE getting a snowstorm over the next 4 weeks. I can't think of anyone here who has. The pattern looks to be supportive for several shots at snow, potentially even a KU event. Saying the pattern supports it isn't a definitive statement.

How could I resist reading your posts to see what type of havoc you are contributing to in here ? LOL

I really don't even know why the GFS runs out to 384 hours. The GFS can't even get a QPF forecast correct at 72 hours out, how do you expect it to have any clue beyond day 10. It's a waste of money and no serious met takes it as anything more than comic relief.

It will be like the nam and only looked at 12 hrs before an event lol

I really don't even know why the GFS runs out to 384 hours. The GFS can't even get a QPF forecast correct at 72 hours out, how do you expect it to have any clue beyond day 10. It's a waste of money and no serious met takes it as anything more than comic relief.

GFS model has performed outstanding under 15 days this season. Euro has been a disaster.

Euro got lucky with this storm on Sunday. Need to wait for the event to occur still.

I was just pointing out how wild of a swing it was, comic relief as you said. I doubt any of us take extended (8-16 day, for example) OP model runs seriously.

GFS model has performed outstanding under 15 days this season. Euro has been a disaster.

Euro got lucky with this storm on Sunday. Need to wait for the event to occur still.

We have a new GFS to work with. I'm not even entirely sure it's exactly the same as what was the PGFS because I think even that was running off of different super computers.

i totally agree with you yanksfan. It's more comical than anything else for us snow weenies. I'd say GFS is only decent 2-3 days out. Tops:72hrs.

Euro and Ukmet imo are the go to models. Seems like we continuously make this mistake and give GFS too much attention and we always get disappointed!

GFS = Overrated!

i totally agree with you yanksfan. It's more comical than anything else for us snow weenies. I'd say GFS is only decent 2-3 days out. Tops:72hrs.

Euro and Ukmet imo are the go to models. Seems like we continuously make this mistake and give GFS too much attention and we always get disappointed!

GFS = Overrated!

You do know that the euro model has had horrible, and I mean horrible bust numerous times recently.

Many bust last year too.

And the temps have been busting on the high side the past few days. Was only supposed to hit 34 yesterday and we got close to 40; it was only supposed to be 40 today and it's already 45. I wouldn't be surprised if Sunday got close to 50.

the only reason why your at 45 is the sun. Sunny days bring warmth. Don't expect 50 on Sunday with wind driven rain. The most you'll get possibly is 42. You never get a warm up with rain unless the low cuts in the Great Lakes. Have a good weekend though

the only reason why your at 45 is the sun. Sunny days bring warmth. Don't expect 50 on Sunday with wind driven rain. The most you'll get possibly is 42. You never get a warm up with rain unless the low cuts in the Great Lakes. Have a good weekend though

Maybe. But this winter is taking place in the Twilight Zone so anything is possible.

And the temps have been busting on the high side the past few days. Was only supposed to hit 34 yesterday and we got close to 40; it was only supposed to be 40 today and it's already 45. I wouldn't be surprised if Sunday got close to 50.

Don't see any stations that hit 40 yesterday....was 34 here and most stations topped out at around 35 yesterday.

This subforum needs a snowstorm in the worst way. When posters such as Bluewave (also is Earthlight ok) are being put on the defensive for offering insight into the potential pattern, something is seriously off. I'm a long time lurker and rare poster, as such I think it important to point out that some of the back and forth discussion has a venom to it that is needless. 95% of the posters here bring a passion for weather and climate that most people I interact with on a normal occasion couldn't care less about. The beauty of this forum is that we weather weenies can discuss the power of mother nature without being looked at with crossed eyes; my finance thinks I'm nuts, but that's what being a 14 year old kid experiencing the Blizzard of '96 will due to a man. I can still remember my father telling me not to worry "You will have school", only for him to spend the next 3 days plowing. So, with that said, I will be praying for cold and snow but should it decide not to, then so be it. Cheers everyone, back to lurking!

This subforum needs a snowstorm in the worst way. When posters such as Bluewave (also is Earthlight ok) are being put on the defensive for offering insight into the potential pattern, something is seriously off. I'm a long time lurker and rare poster, as such I think it important to point out that some of the back and forth discussion has a venom to it that is needless. 95% of the posters here bring a passion for weather and climate that most people I interact with on a normal occasion couldn't care less about. The beauty of this forum is that we weather weenies can discuss the power of mother nature without being looked at with crossed eyes; my finance thinks I'm nuts, but that's what being a 14 year old kid experiencing the Blizzard of '96 will due to a man. I can still remember my father telling me not to worry "You will have school", only for him to spend the next 3 days plowing. So, with that said, I will be praying for cold and snow but should it decide not to, then so be it. Cheers everyone, back to lurking!

your money thinks you are nuts ? Well my money is betting on snowy and cold the next 4 weeks !

Archived