• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Pattern Discussion 2014-2015 (December/January)

Carvers Gap

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy everyone! I've been watching the boards for a bit, I recognize a lot of names from years ago on accuwx forums.  I wanted to throw this out because it is almost comical to me.  A day or so ago Morristown was talking about snowfall bias in the models...  No idea where they got that, but then last nights disco regarding our clipper this late weekend/early week.

NEXT SYSTEM WILL MOVE INTO THE TENNESSEE VALLEY AND SOUTHERN
APPALACHIANS FOR LATE SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING. THIS SYSTEM IS
A NORTHERN STREAM CLIPPER WITH PLENTY OF COLD AIR ASSOCIATED WITH
THE UPPER TROUGH. THE MAIN QUESTION FOR THIS SYSTEM WILL BE TRACK OF
850MB/SURFACE LOW. MAIN SNOW BAND WILL BE JUST NORTH OF THE 850MB
TRACK. STRONG Q-VECTOR FORCING ANTICIPATED WITH THIS WAVE. ALSO AS
SURFACE LOW MOVES EAST...GOOD NORTHWEST FLOW WILL PRODUCE OROGRAPHIC
SNOWFALL ACROSS THE NORTHWEST FACING SLOPES. THIS SYSTEM HAS THE
CAPABILITY OF PRODUCING SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS THE VALLEY
WITH MUCH HEAVIER AMOUNTS OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS

Morristown perplexes me sometimes with their discos.

Howdy everyone! I've been watching the boards for a bit, I recognize a lot of names from years ago on accuwx forums.  I wanted to throw this out because it is almost comical to me.  A day or so ago Morristown was talking about snowfall bias in the models...  No idea where they got that, but then last nights disco regarding our clipper this late weekend/early week.

Morristown perplexes me sometimes with their discos.

I agree, I don't know ......  It's even more perplexing, b/c this appears to have trended north (no shock here, it's a clipper, that's what they do, lol) while at the same time we have a system that trended colder overnight, giving parts of the state snow.

I agree, I don't know ......  It's even more perplexing, b/c this appears to have trended north (no shock here, it's a clipper, that's what they do, lol) while at the same time we have a system that trended colder overnight, giving parts of the state snow.

Exactly...  Its a clipper, aside from the northwest facing mountains above 3000 feet most of us never see more than an inch generally from 90% of clippers that pass the area.  Granted this clipper looks stout in the models but "Several" inches in the valley?  I'm interested in this storm but the Miller has more potential if we can get more cold air.

Exactly...  Its a clipper, aside from the northwest facing mountains above 3000 feet most of us never see more than an inch generally from 90% of clippers that pass the area.  Granted this clipper looks stout in the models but "Several" inches in the valley?  I'm interested in this storm but the Miller has more potential if we can get more cold air.

I know you largely observe, but you should post more. What part of TN?  What do you do?

On topic:  I hope we can realize the split-flow look in the modeling around the end of the month...............

12z GFS around 240 looks like a sweet setup - Split stream with a large southern disturbance in the southwest moving east.  A BIG high dropping into the plains, a 50/50, with a -NAO to boot.  Large mid-south snow incoming per the 12z GFS.  Snow maps will be fun to look at, as will individuals.............likely.

snow ratios should be about 12:1 at least so snow maps would be wrong..lol

I know you largely observe, but you should post more. What part of TN?  What do you do?

On topic:  I hope we can realize the split-flow look in the modeling around the end of the month...............

I live on the Roane and Meigs County lines on Watts Bar Lake.  So Northern edge of the Southern Valley, or the Southern edge of the Central Valley depending on perspective.  

The end of the month is what I really have been watching for about a week, and most excited about.  As long as we can keep the pattern in a way that won't favor GLCs, then I think we have decent shots coming.

Edit:  Also just noticed that the GFS has shifted the clipper back south a little from its placement on the 12Z.  Would be kind of novel to have that low track over Tennessee, since that is rare, with maybe the exception of your area in upper east tennessee, where they sometimes pass overhead once or twice a year.  

EDIT the EDIT:  Ha ha... Oops... yesterday's 18Z...  Clipper is further north even more so than the 12Z.  Long day...

I live on the Roane and Meigs County lines on Watts Bar Lake.  So Northern edge of the Southern Valley, or the Southern edge of the Central Valley depending on perspective.  

The end of the month is what I really have been watching for about a week, and most excited about.  As long as we can keep the pattern in a way that won't favor GLCs, then I think we have decent shots coming.

Edit:  Also just noticed that the GFS has shifted the clipper back south a little from its placement on the 12Z.  Would be kind of novel to have that low track over Tennessee, since that is rare, with maybe the exception of your area in upper east tennessee, where they sometimes pass overhead once or twice a year.  

I'll echo Nut's post from earlier, you need to post more!  Would love to see that clipper get back on track.  Those can be good entertainment in between larger threats. 

Edit:  I'm pretty sure I remember you posting on accuwx forums several years ago.  I know John was there, I was driver8 back then.

Hey gang, new weather video is up!  Talking about the storm for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, PLUS the clipper and what that potential could do for us.  Then** we look ahead toward the **POTENTIAL** for another storm as we get closer to D10-11  *superbowl Sunday*  The TRENDS are very promising and encouraging, but obviously its quite a bit of ways away.  We shall see, but I like the "look" so far.  Thanks for watching!

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

Hey gang, new weather video is up!  Talking about the storm for Thursday, Friday and Saturday, PLUS the clipper and what that potential could do for us.  Then** we look ahead toward the **POTENTIAL** for another storm as we get closer to D10-11  *superbowl Sunday*  The TRENDS are very promising and encouraging, but obviously its quite a bit of ways away.  We shall see, but I like the "look" so far.  Thanks for watching!

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

I appreciate the fact that you post alot in the SE threads, but it feels more like spam in here when this all you post in this sub forum. At least take the time to personalize and not cut and paste and drop in here. Thanks.

The 0z GFS still has our storm at the end of 240 hours. This makes 3 runs in a row with the storm evolving in pretty much the same way with widespread snow. I'm waiting up on the Euro to see what it has. This is how our storm tomorrow looked on the GFS for a few runs a week ago. So it accurately showed the storm chance but just not details.

This is a nice split flow look from what I can tell. We get some good Miller A storms from split flows.We just need some help from the northern stream to provide cold air which we are really lacking for tomorrow's storm. We also need for this energy(if it is still there on the models in a few days) to eject on out from the desert Southwest. A lot of times this winter energy has gotten stuck out there ruining some chances. I like the saying " you miss all the shots you never take" and think it applies here. We will never get a shot of a decent storm if the energy gets stuck out west and never ejects out.

0z Euro does what I was afraid it would do and squash our energy down to Baja California. It has a clipper/trough that comes out of Canada and cuts the flow off from the southwest. This is a well known bias of the model for hanging energy back but sometimes it ends up being correct. I'm going to slightly lean toward the GFS right now because it normally handles the energy better in the long range.

Anyone else not excited about the clipper?  Surface temps look terrible and the vort pass is well north.

I was scratching my head looking at the snow output maps showing 1 to 2 inches while the surface freezing line was on the Ohio river for part of that lol.  But, at least it shows the possibility of flakes flying so we have that going for us, which is nice I guess.

Archived