• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Pattern Discussion 2014-2015 (December/January)

Carvers Gap

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models are starting to trend more northward,for the 23rd.The GFS and NAM are taking it through SE/GA and not N/FL,wetter look also as you should expect.NAM is colder as well,but i'm talking about the NAM at h84

Yeah the GFS is interesting.  Despite the marginal temps middle TN, upper cumberland, and far northeast TN manage to get a few inches.  I hope the trend continues.

Edit:  The clipper is still on track and decently wet, but surface temps as modeled could hurt us.

12Z GFS perks up for both systems, but as stated above low level temperatures remain a challenge for most of us. We are coming off a lovely warm sunny period, and the surface high dropping into the Ohio Valley later this week is not impressive. Pressure barely tops 1030 and the air is of mild Pacific origin.

Friday Saturday system that was buried in the Deep South has indeed shifted back north a bit. The dip and recover model trend during the extended period is nothing new, as noted in previous posts. Still low level temperatures are a challenge. Upper Plateau to Northeast Tennessee could get cold enough Friday. Then NAM/Euro hint at some back energy Friday night Saturday morning; but, it would have to manufacture its own cold, and lingering moisture is yet TBD.

Then a Sunday Monday clipper could once again grace the Upper Plateau to Northeast Tenn. TRI looks good on the GFS. It is colder at 850 so maybe Nashville and Knoxville see some flurries. However surface looks too warm from Chattanooga to Huntsville, and Chatty usually does poorly in NW flow. Now the 00Z Euro tries to send a weak piece of energy into the Deep South, but the 00Z Canadian has everything north, so the GFS is a compromise.

Late edit update: 12Z Euro punts the southern piece Sun/Mon until offshore, and surface feature is north like Canadian. Still gets Upper Plateau to TRI snow showers back side, but sfc low south would be better. 12Z Canadian keeps its 00Z feel. GFS is only one with sfc low tracking south through East Tenn.

Beyond that the pattern stays active but it is a mess to forecast. Key takeaway from a couple pages back may be the gradual shift south of the storm track into late winter. SER sometimes finally gets beat down, like last year. Remember no guarantee though; other years start cold with an early spring. This being Nino I do favor a more active back half of winter, even if just 2-3 weeks. Cheers!

Gonna be tough to get something out of the Fri-Sat storm by the Euro,like Jeff said the best place looks to be tri,maybe some wet back end flakes for us here in Middle.Nice looking system but but with marginal cold air and it's bringing up a warm nose,we usually know what happens.Best hope is the NAM right now..lol

12Z GFS perks up for both systems, but as stated above low level temperatures remain a challenge for most of us. We are coming off a lovely warm sunny period, and the surface high dropping into the Ohio Valley later this week is not impressive. Pressure barely tops 1030 and the air is of mild Pacific origin.

Friday Saturday system that was buried in the Deep South has indeed shifted back north a bit. The dip and recover model trend during the extended period is nothing new, as noted in previous posts. Still low level temperatures are a challenge. Upper Plateau to Northeast Tennessee could get cold enough Friday. Then NAM/Euro hint at some back energy Friday night Saturday morning; but, it would have to manufacture its own cold, and lingering moisture is yet TBD.

Then a Sunday Monday clipper could once again grace the Upper Plateau to Northeast Tenn. TRI looks good on the GFS. It is colder at 850 so maybe Nashville and Knoxville see some flurries. However surface looks too warm from Chattanooga to Huntsville, and Chatty usually does poorly in NW flow. Now the 00Z Euro tries to send a weak piece of energy into the Deep South, but the 00Z Canadian has everything north, so the GFS is a compromise.

Late edit update: 12Z Euro punts the southern piece Sun/Mon until offshore, and surface feature is north like Canadian. Still gets Upper Plateau to TRI snow showers back side, but sfc low south would be better. 12Z Canadian keeps its 00Z feel. GFS is only one with sfc low tracking south through East Tenn.

Beyond that the pattern stays active but it is a mess to forecast. Key takeaway from a couple pages back may be the gradual shift south of the storm track into late winter. SER sometimes finally gets beat down, like last year. Remember no guarantee though; other years start cold with an early spring. This being Nino I do favor a more active back half of winter, even if just 2-3 weeks. Cheers!

Jeff, Thanks for popping in. It's always appreciated when you and other red taggers drop some knowledge in here....

Looks like MRX is at least discussing possibilities for the weekend...

SATURDAY EVENING...THE LOW MOVES NORTHEAST OFF THE EAST
COAST...AND A VERY BRIEF CLEARING PERIOD LOOKS POSSIBLE AS DRIER AIR
MOVES IN. LIKE ALL GOOD THINGS...THIS CAN NOT LAST...AND A LOW
PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO SHOOT DOWN FROM CANADA BRINGING MORE RAIN
AND SNOW CHANCES BEGINNING SUNDAY MIDDAY. WITH THE NORTH NORTHWEST
FLOW FROM THIS SYSTEM...THE CHANCE FOR SNOW WILL BE MUCH
HIGHER.
..AND THE SHOWERS WILL LAST LONGER. NOW HAVING SAID
THAT...MUST STRESS THE UNCERTAINTY WITH THE MODELS PREDICTING THIS
FAR OUT IN TIME AND WITH THEIR APPARENT SNOWFALL BIAS THAT HAS
OCCURRED UP UNTIL NOW THIS WINTER. OTHERWISE...TEMPERATURES WILL
DROP TO A COUPLE OF DEGREES BELOW NORMAL FOR THE END OF THE
EXTENDED.

I am sincerely baffled by the snowfall bias that MRX is talking about on the models. We've had nothing showing significant snow within 120 hours to speak of since November that I recall.

I was thinking the same thing.  Also, thanks for taking one for the team and going to Nooga.  I could use a dusting over here!

Hey everyone, I know we all want some wintry weather, but you have to admit, the weather has been very nice lately.  Lets talk about the storm coming out of the western gulf of mexico for Thur thru Sat.  My thoughts and my forecast and we talk super clipper as well.  Check out the video for more.  Thanks for watching and sharing and liking my page.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

Archived