• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Pattern Discussion 2014-2015 (December/January)

Carvers Gap

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still seeing the chance for a light wintry event toward next weekend for parts of TN and the midsouth.  It's now between 144ish to around 180. 

It looks even better on the 18z,still believe the models are having a tough time with the artic plunge,the 850's on this run are even colder than what i mentioned above almost 2c at the 850's,its now all snow

It looks even better on the 18z,still believe the models are having a tough time with the artic plunge,the 850's on this run are even colder than what i mentioned above almost 2c at the 850's,its now all snow

Yeah,  I am trying not to take anything verbatim right now, but the look of a cold arctic high trying to hold on the playing field while a weak disturbance tries to create a light overrunning event (which could create a road nightmare) for parts of the upper midsouth is a good one.  I just hope we finally have something to follow. 

Yeah,  I am trying not to take anything verbatim right now, but the look of a cold arctic high trying to hold on the playing field while a weak disturbance tries to create a light overrunning event (which could create a road nightmare) for parts of the upper midsouth is a good one.  I just hope we finally have something to follow. 

Not sure.the Euro backed down today along with the esm,even the GEFS looked warmer also.not sure we wont see a warm up around the 10th

The 18z GFS shows a nice pattern shaping up for the next couple of weeks.  Is it right?  I think so on the cold.  Like tnweathernut said, tough to take anything verbatim too far out.  It was a nice run.

Hey, did the Euro show a light winter wx event on the heels of this cold weather? 

Yup,its all verbatism aside right now but it is quite different looking the the 5h compared to past couple runs,its not a toast by all means but we live in the SE,its dont take much to change our weather to one thing to the extreme

I am sure there is a chance trying to show itself Jax, but like Carvers said, is it right?

I am only talking in very general terms at this point and it makes sense for some kind of moisture feed (even if light) to return on the backside of an arctic high.

Right now, I'd give it a 25-30% ish chance for something wintry in that time period for someone in the midsouth.

I am sure there is a chance trying to show itself Jax, but like Carvers said, is it right?

I am only talking in very general terms at this point and it makes sense for some kind of moisture feed (even if light) to return on the backside of an arctic high.

Right now, I'd give it a 25-30% ish chance for something wintry in that time period for someone in the midsouth.

I know TWN,but what i'm looking at is a spike in the AO.This is why i think i the Euro is right in showing a warming trend in the 2nd week of Jan.,after the cold spell

Odd to say i didnt see that,the wind chill looks more impressive in Mid Tn other than west or east

Edit:but i'm looking at tri also,this doesnt really reflect the higher elevations like you mentioned

I find 850mb temps are usually what you find at 5500 feet and above if not slightly colder.

I find 850mb temps are usually what you find at 5500 feet and above if not slightly colder.

Orographic areas it shouldnt matter,your area produce clouds as you move upwards

This is where i got into a debate about the snow dome recently for our area.We have the west,north,and eastern rims and people forget about the southern rims in Columbia southward,this is why us in Williamson County get hosed this is why we want to see systems going through Mid Al into N/Ga,we get downslope from the southern rim and we  get decent snows,otherwise we get left out

Just saying anyways,not that it has anything of the point

Edit:this is a reason why southern middle Tn and N/Al cashed in.in reason years and left us out

Orographic areas it shouldnt matter,your area produce clouds as you move upwards

This is where i got into a debate about the snow dome recently for our area.We have the west,north,and eastern rims and people forget about the southern rims in Columbia southward,this is why us in Williamson County get hosed this is why we want to see systems going through Mid Al into N/Ga,we get downslope from the southern rim and we get decent snows,otherwise we get left out

Just saying anyways,not that it has anything of the point

Edit:this is a reason why southern middle Tn and N/Al cashed in.in reason years and left us out

I find it doesn't matter about cloud cover at all up there if the 850mb temps support it. Readings out of Mt Leconte almost always match the 850mb temps.

0z GFS caves to the Euro past day 7. No repetetive cold. Cold slides off to the east, and the following cold shots are shunted to the north. The 6z is mildy better. But looks like mid-January is warm based on thr 0z suite. Not surprising.

GEFS has been hinting at this as well but it got somewhat cooler the last run.GFS 6z has a quick hitter Wed but it looks all alone no other model shows it

*IMHO* nice potential with the pattern for this are as well.  Maybe the best potential.

Hot off the presses folks!  LOL All new weather video is up.  I really think y'all will like it.  There is a BUNCH of weather talk, duh...but we talk about the Arctic airmass coming down and how I feel like the models will likely be a little to warm with it, Especially the EURO.  Also, how I think the models will ***MORE THAN LIKELY** be kicking out the airmass toward the weekend.  PLUS we talk about the *POTENTIAL* weekend fun.. again, potential and TRENDS not a forecast.  The players are on the field, but do we kick a field goal, fumble or hit the end zone??  Enjoy  and thank y'all for liking and sharing the videos and page.  Really means a lot to me.  -Chris 

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
152 AM EST MON JAN 05 2015

VALID 12Z THU JAN 08 2015 - 12Z MON JAN 12 2015

...OVERVIEW...
EAST OF THE CONTINENTAL DIVIDE---A SERIES OF COLD CANADIAN HIGH
PRESSURE SYSTEMS SPREAD ACROSS THE LOWER 48...WITH BELOW NORMAL
TEMPERATURES EXPECTED FOR THE BETTER PART OF THIS MEDIUM RANGE
PERIOD.

WEST OF THE DIVIDE---A PACIFIC AIRMASS IS INTRODUCED---AND ITS
INFLUENCES DE-AMPLIFYING THE UPPER-LEVEL FLOW BY NEXT WEEK ACROSS
SOUTHWEST CANADA AND THE WEST COAST. PART OF THE DE-AMPLIFICATION
PROCESS---AN ACTIVE SOUTHERN BRANCH OF THE UPPER-LEVEL JET EMERGES
IN NORTHERN MEXICO---ACROSS THE SOUTHERN PLAINS...SOUTHEAST AND
SOUTHERN MID-ATLANTIC STATES.

...UNCERTAINTY ASSESSMENT...
THE MEDIUM RANGE FORECAST CHALLENGE IS TO GRADUALLY TRANSITION THE
FLOW PATTERN ALOFT IN THE WEST AND ACCURATELY DEPICT THE TIMING OF
PACIFIC ENERGY---THAT WILL 'UNDERCUT' THE UPPER RIDGE AXIS FROM
THE SOUTHERN ALASKA PANHANDLE SOUTHWARD TO THE OREGON
CASCADES---AND THEN CARRY THE ENERGY/MOISTURE DOWNSTREAM ACROSS
THE PLAINS. AND DOWNSTREAM...IS DEFINITELY WHERE A MODIFIED-ARCTIC
AIRMASS WILL BE PLACE---DRAPED ACROSS THE EASTERN HALF OF THE
NATION.

FROM A SITUATIONAL AWARENESS STANDPOINT---THE PATTERN SETUP IN THE
WEST AND THE ENVIRONMENT IN PLACE---EAST OF THE DIVIDE---AHEAD OF
THE INTRODUCTION OF THE PACIFIC FLOW---WILL LIKELY BECOME A WINTRY
ONE. THE INTRODUCTION OF A SOUTHERN BRANCH OF THE UPPER-LEVEL
JET---FAVORS THE SOUTHERN PLAINS AND SOUTHEAST...WITH AN
OVER-RUNNING GULF MOISTURE STREAM BEING THE ONE DETAIL THAT WILL
CHANGE WITH TIME.

THE LEE SLOPES OF THE ROCKIES WILL BE ANOTHER REGIONAL
CHALLENGE---AN AREA WHERE THE PACIFIC AIRMASS GRADUALLY
OVERRUNS...AND PERIODICALLY DISPLACES THE ARCTIC AIRMASS.
TEMPERATURES AND LOCAL UPSLOPE PRECIPITATION WILL BE THE PRIMARY
CONCERNS FROM CENTRAL MONTANA TO SOUTHWEST TEXAS.

...MODEL PREFERENCES...
NO PERFECT PROG OUT THERE---BUT THERE IS A GROWING CONFIDENCE IN
THE DIRECTION OF THE FORECAST...GIVEN THE CURRENT ORIENTATION OF
THE UPPER-LEVEL RIDGE AXIS OVER THE GULF OF ALASKA---AND CURRENT
CONDITIONS IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST AND ALASKA PANHANDLE. THE
FORECAST HAS LEANED---AND CONTINUES TO LEAN ON THE ECENS/ECMWF
SOLUTION. ANTICIPATE A VERY SLOW EROSION OF THE ARCTIC
AIRMASS---AND NOT TO OCCUR MUCH AT ALL EAST OF THE
MISSISSIPPI/LOWER MISSOURI AND NORTH OF THE OHIO RIVERS DURING
THIS MEDIUM RANGE PERIOD.

...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...
LAKE-EFFECT/UPSLOPE SNOWFALL AND VERY COLD CONDITIONS WILL BE THE
PREVAILING WEATHER CONDITIONS ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES AND
NORTHEAST.

EAST OF 100W LONGITUDE---TEMPERATURES WILL BE BELOW NORMAL AND
EXPECT TWO COLD  CANADIAN SURFACE HIGHS TO SETTLE IN ALONG THE
LOWER OHIO VALLEY AND PIEDMONT THIS MEDIUM RANGE
PERIOD---PRODUCING PERIODS OF SUB-FREEZING CONDITIONS FOR THE
ENTIRE GULF COAST...NORTH FLORIDA AND SOUTHEAST TEXAS---AND THE
POTENTIAL FOR WINTER-LIKE PRECIPITATION---NEXT WEEKEND IN THESE
AREAS---AND POINTS NORTHEASTWARD---INCLUDING THE TENNESSEE VALLEY
AND SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS.

VOJTESAK

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

152 AM EST MON JAN 05 2015

VALID 12Z THU JAN 08 2015 - 12Z MON JAN 12 2015

...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

EAST OF 100W LONGITUDE---TEMPERATURES WILL BE BELOW NORMAL AND

EXPECT TWO COLD  CANADIAN SURFACE HIGHS TO SETTLE IN ALONG THE

LOWER OHIO VALLEY AND PIEDMONT THIS MEDIUM RANGE

PERIOD---PRODUCING PERIODS OF SUB-FREEZING CONDITIONS FOR THE

ENTIRE GULF COAST...NORTH FLORIDA AND SOUTHEAST TEXAS---AND THE

POTENTIAL FOR WINTER-LIKE PRECIPITATION---NEXT WEEKEND IN THESE

AREAS---AND POINTS NORTHEASTWARD---INCLUDING THE TENNESSEE VALLEY

AND SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS.

VOJTESAK

Yep, I still see it and have been on this period for several days now. The "look" is a good one.  We are not seeing wintry solutions from the models yet, but the setup is a good one for something icy to happen in the mid-south. JMO

The sad thing is, in a winter where we have had a legitimate threat or two, this upcoming weekend/early following week period would be looked at as "meh" and a strung out mess at 500.  This winter however, there are a BUNCH of people jumping on the possibility of at least something to track. 

Will be interesting to see if the models can consolidate around a specific shortwave or if their strung out mess never really provides the spark needed for overrunning.

From Wes in the midatlantic forum

Anyone want to guess which way this one goes? lol

"The 06Z GEFS ensembles have two clusters that are equally divided with one showing above normal temps for us in the 11-15 day period while the other has below normal for the same time period.  Both the Euro ens clusters covering the same time period have us above normal for what that is worth."

Euro is a nice little hit of snow (per the clown maps) for northeastern Arkansas (5-6 inches), northwestern TN 2-4.5 inch amounts, and 1-3 inch amounts for northern central TN.  The main band of 2-4 inch snows is aimed from northeastern AR into most of KY.

All from a very weak Miller A that forms around southern LA, before weakening as it moves east to east northeast off the coast.

Archived