• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Pattern Discussion 2014-2015 (December/January)

Carvers Gap

If you look at the max 2 meter temps on the Euro ensembles for the time period just after that, hour 198 (or 1PM) it's showing around 30-33.  It's a pretty impressive map, considering it's the ensemble.  I won't be surprised if we have a day where the highs are in the low to mid 20's, with lows approaching single digits from this.  Time will tell.

Also, just glancing at the rest of the ensembles through 360, 500 looks warmish, but the surface stays fairly cool with highs in the low to mid 40's and lows in the upper 20's to 30's.

All that said, it's not a snow pattern, but maybe we can sneak in a small event with good timing in the next week to 10 days.  After that is probably a coin flip.

Even the control looks much warmer,for you guys it looks like the teens for us in the 20's,i'm still not sold by the teles being so cold the Euro is showing,we are losing the epo if its right,where is this extreme cold coming from?

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's becoming more clear that a NASTY cold shot is coming for the mid-south next week.

Yup...last night's Euro reaffirmed in a stronger fashion the 12z run....The 6z GFS is almost on top of it with single digits for almost all of TN....Followed by rain the following weekend... :axe:

Yup...last night's Euro reaffirmed in a stronger fashion the 12z run....The 6z GFS is almost on top of it with single digits for almost all of TN....Followed by rain the following weekend... :axe:

Certainly looks believable without any blocking in place.  The thing that gives me optimism is there are multiple large highs showing and the timing of EVERY model past day 6/7 with regards to precip isn't going to be very good................meaning ................we might be able to work our way into an event of some kind with good timing....

The CPC ensembles(AO, NAO, and PNA) are all heading in favorable directions around(or just after) mid-January.  Definitely some shifting going on w/ the models IMO. 

Mr. Bob, the warm-up following the cold shot next week seems to be a 7-10 day warm-up and then maybe things get interesting after the 20th.  What say you?

Tnweathernut, those big highs are definitely promising.  I don't like the trend for them to slide through the NE, but that can change just as it has for next week.  The past few runs of the GFS have been hinting at +PNA.  That is backed-up by the CPC ensembles which show a strong PNA by mid-month.  The NAO, while not negative on the CPC site, takes a dive towards neutral around mid-month...and then the graph ends.  The AO looks like it is about to tank on the CPC site.  A few members go deeply negative.  Looks like the Nino is finally taking control as it normally does this time of year. 

After looking at the models, I am convinced we see some type of winter event between hours 162-228.  Might be a snow/ice to ice/rain type of deal, but there is a good possibility that something might be attacking the departing cold.

Todays tele's is showing signs at least the NAO headed towards = and still signs of the AO going -,the MJO looks to be missing data ?

Edit;yesterdays,weak 6-7?Mojo

After looking at the models, I am convinced we see some type of winter event between hours 162-228.  Might be a snow/ice to ice/rain type of deal, but there is a good possibility that something might be attacking the departing cold.

Close TWN, just comparing BNA at the 850's it's 2.6C colder than the 12z yesterday,how fast are the models pulling the cold air out also should be in question,we know sometimes they are to quick doing this.Also looks like the mid Jan the another reinforcing shot of cold air is fixing to possibly happen,even colder than what we are expecting in a couple days

Hot off the presses!!  LOL  All new weather video is up online.  Warning, its a longer video today, but there is a TON to talk about and a TON of potential with the pattern.  I still feel that the models will trend maybe a little colder with the arctic airmass, but we shall see.  This will be the REAL deal cold for sure.  Next weekend looks **Potentially** interesting...Not sure anything will happen, *more than likely won't*, but IMHO its very possible.  Thanks for watching!

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

Looks like -10F to -15F is possible on the highest peaks. And with no real snow over that's impressive.

Odd to say i didnt see that,the wind chill looks more impressive in Mid Tn other than west or east

Edit:but i'm looking at tri also,this doesnt really reflect the higher elevations like you mentioned

Archived