Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
November II Discussion

CapturedNature

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:weenie: :weenie:

I learned that painful lesson after the conclusion of the Dec 16, 2007 super swfe. My Euphoria over the victory of maintaining snow until ending as drizzle was abruptly dashed as my temp spiked from a benign 33°, up to a the most corrosive, saturated 38° imaginable...as my immaculate ~2' cement pack was battered down to most asethetically unappealing, soggy, pitted, disaster...averaging about 14", with areas where water lie beneath reduced to about 8". The mets comfort you with cries of "the front will be through soon", but make no mistake about it, the downslope dandy cold air advection took about 12 hours to arrive. All the while, locales 10 miles inland maintain protective pack glaze.

Crushed in the Buffalo suburbs...

attachicon.gifBUF_forecast.jpg

Not to mention a few of these guys ripping along the lake at 45-50 mph. A couple of these mesos have been popping up through 5,000 feet.

Currently, I wouldn't be surprised if there were three separate waterspouts within 5 miles of the shore near Lackawanna.

post-44-0-98123900-1416296848_thumb.png

My old stomping grounds.  Tasty.

Today: Lake effect snow with some rumbles of thunder possible. Areas of blowing snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Additional accumulation 8 to 16 inches in the most persistent snows. Cold with highs in the lower 20s. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Tonight: Lake effect snow with some rumbles of thunder possible. Areas of blowing snow. Snow may be heavy at times. Additional accumulation 10 to 19 inches in the most persistent snows. Lows ranging from around 15 on the tug hill to 15 to 20 across the lower elevations. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Wednesday: Lake effect snow in the morning...then a chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Some rumbles of thunder are possible. Snow may be heavy at times in the morning. Additional accumulation 5 to 9 inches in the most persistent snows. Cold with highs ranging from the lower 20s on the tug hill to the upper 20s across the lower elevations. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming south 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow showers in the evening...then snow overnight. Snow may be heavy at times overnight. Late evening lows 20 to 25...then temperatures rising to the mid 20s on the hilltops and to the upper 20s across the lower elevations. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Thursday: Lake effect snow. Areas of blowing snow in the afternoon. Snow may be heavy at times. Early afternoon highs ranging from the upper 20s on the hilltops to the lower 30s across the lower elevations...then temperatures falling to the lower 20s on the hilltops and to the mid 20s across the lower elevations. South winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph...becoming southwest. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Thursday Night: Lake effect snow. Lows 10 to 15. Chance of snow 90 percent.

Friday: Lake effect snow showers likely. Highs in the lower 20s. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Fun times for the folks there.

28.7/20

Not to mention a few of these guys ripping along the lake at 45-50 mph. A couple of these mesos have been popping up through 5,000 feet.

Currently, I wouldn't be surprised if there were three separate waterspouts within 5 miles of the shore near Lackawanna.

BUF.png

Grew up basically where the "West" is in West Seneca on that map. Family still lives there, looking forward to seeing some pictures. Saw an unconfirmed report of 32" in Elma, which is a bit southeast of Metro Buffalo. If that's true, those 4' totals might actually be reached in this event, with round two coming later tomorrow into Thursday.

Grew up basically where the "West" is in West Seneca on that map. Family still lives there, looking forward to seeing some pictures. Saw an unconfirmed report of 32" in Elma, which is a bit southeast of Metro Buffalo. If that's true, those 4' totals might actually be reached in this event, with round two coming later tomorrow into Thursday.

BUF buys it, as 32.4" is in their latest PNS.

Just saw that. Crushed. Lived there for the 38"/24 hr snowfall in '95, this looks to easily surpass that (though the airport is on the wrong side of the band, so unfortunately that record won't be challenged).

From Niziol on Facebook:

I've already seen a couple lightning strikes on the NLDN, so they're definitely producing some flashes.

Does anyone know what the highest totals have been areas on the Cape have experienced in OES?  Obviously a really far cry from LES.

You're probably looking at an order of magnitude. I would need to dig into the numbers a bit more but I would guess that OES you're looking at hundreds of J/kg versus thousands in a good LES event.

Looks like the Lake Ontario band is reaching here.  A fresh coating so far and it is snowing nicely at the moment.(light to moderate from the looks of it)

On weathertap, it shows remnant returns from that band all the way into ME.

That other band stretching down the NYS Thruway could possible deliver some flakes into the Berks, maybe as far as Pete.

27.4/18

You're probably looking at an order of magnitude. I would need to dig into the numbers a bit more but I would guess that OES you're looking at hundreds of J/kg versus thousands in a good LES event.

No doubt about that--it's nothing close to an apples-to-apples comparison.

My one time in LES was about 10 years ago.  I had to stay overnight in Jamestown, NY for a meeting at St. Bonaventure.  It was nothing like they're having now of course, but it was still pretty awesome.  Also, a real bummer when you left the band and the sun came out. 

Temp continuing to drop.

27.2/18

Archived