• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
November 2014 General Discussion

Geos

I caught 0.23" this morning and got my Christmas lights put up during the lull. Rain moved back in around 1:30 has been going at it ever since.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
0720 PM EST SUN NOV 23 2014

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 0.71 INCHES WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE TODAY. THIS
BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0.69 SET IN 1979.

AS RAIN CONTINUES TO FALL...THIS TOTAL WILL CONTINUE TO INCREASE. AN
UPDATED RECORD REPORT WILL BE SENT AFTER MIDNIGHT WITH THE FINAL
TOTAL FOR THE DAY.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was putting up Christmas lights during -RN spells, but now it's moderate rain with foggy patches as well. Actually the fog is dense in pockets near wooded areas. Ground is probably colder in those areas.

Just need to hook all the lights together with extension cords. 

Coming up on 0.40" of rain for this event so far.

With 3.7" of snow in November, Detroit is at 81.9" on the calendar year. This ties with 1881 for 2nd snowiest calendar year on record, just 0.7" away from the record of 82.6" set just in 2008. Obviously barring an unforeseen absence of winter, that record just set a few years ago looks to be broken again. Oh the snowy times we are in :)

5 snowiest calendar years for Detroit

1.) 82.6" - 2008

2.) 81.9" - 1881

2.) 81.9" - 2014 thru Nov 23

4.) 75.3" - 1974

4.) 75.3" - 2005

Heard it was the Detroit Emergency Manager, too. Gotta get out of debt somehow...

I know but still...We just were snowed in our homes for 5 days shoveling 8 hours+ per day with travel bans. Now we want to watch our team play for free 4-5 hours away and we have to pay $125 bucks for free tickets. Brutal! I blame the NFL for this though, terrible planning.

I know but still...We just were snowed in our homes for 5 days shoveling 8 hours+ per day with travel bans. Now we want to watch our team play for free 4-5 hours away and we have to pay $125 bucks for free tickets. Brutal! I blame the NFL for this though, terrible planning.

...What I posted was sarcasm...

They should have moved the game to Toronto.

Well, you folks in Buffalo can always just take the loss for this game (and not show up) if you don't appreciate the city of Detroit's and the Ford family's generosity...

RECORD EVENT REPORT...UPDATED
1227 AM EST MON NOV 24 2014

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT FORT WAYNE ON SUNDAY...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.56 INCHES WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0.69 SET IN 1979.

I think the old record is a typo, should be 1.15" in 1909.

RECORD EVENT REPORT...UPDATED
1225 AM EST MON NOV 24 2014

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT SOUTH BEND ON SUNDAY...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.24 INCHES WAS SET AT SOUTH BEND YESTERDAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 0.15 SET IN 1909.

Total rainfall Sat-Mon here was 1.17". A majority of that was Sunday night, and 0.05" of it was freezing rain (early Sat morning). This put a dent in our dry November, we are now at 1.63" on the month with 3.8" snowfall.

Flurries are flying this morning under gray skies and a brisk wind = November. While nothing will stick, this will be the 9th day this season snow has fallen.

Snow cover didn't budge today.  Still a solid 2" glacier. 

Already down to 16.  Point has 15, and then rising as clouds move in.  Clouds are still west of I-35 though, so I think we go way lower than 15 this evening with this fresh snow and calm winds.

EDIT:  Pretty sweet satellite today showing the fresh snow cover.  You can see where the deformation zone developed and dumped snow. 

ileots.jpg

Archived