Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Let's talk Winter!

Steve

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21z sref has a mean for around me and Steve and vespian at 7.51" with 6 members over 8"

The mean for CMH is 6.44" so a tad higher east of CMH. It's got my attention.

I don't know much about the sref members. I know they have something to do with the nam. My question is how typical is it to have such a huge difference between the Nam and the sref mean 24 hrs out? Nam is not budging from 1" along i-70.

I don't know much about the sref members. I know they have something to do with the nam. My question is how typical is it to have such a huge difference between the Nam and the sref mean 24 hrs out? Nam is not budging from 1" along i-70.

The SREFs are basically the NAM's ensemble members...

Usually, they're crap just like the NAM (and typically play "follow the leader" with the OP NAM).

They do strike gold every now and then though (such as with the north trend for the Superbowl snowstorm).

Ok.....but why is, for example, the mean 6.4" but the is Nam 1"? Is that kind of spread between an op and an ens that normal? 24 hours out?

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index.php?YMD=20150215&RT=21&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=CMH&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=7&mLAT=40.06520116208008&mLON=-84.89689952955246&mTYP=roadmap

Ok.....but why is, for example, the mean 6.4" but the is Nam 1"? Is that kind of spread between an op and an ens that normal? 24 hours out?

As odd as it seems, it happens.

Sometimes, the Hi-Res models (that in theory tend to pick up on the minute details in the atmosphere global models miss) can be the first to sniff out a storm that's going to deepen more rapidly than expected, and of course this can adjust everything further NW (which is still a possibility, although a small one).

Another perfect example of this I can remember, beside the Superbowl snowstorm, is GHD 2011.

Of course, you must consider we're talking about the NAM and its ensemble members also (not the most reliable set of models).

Feeling good about 6-10, here 15 miles south of Cincy...I really could see ratios helping us get to the top end of that range.  Probably will be the best storm here since Dec 2004.  March '08 was about 12", but all melted within about 36 hours.  Much more staying power with this storm.

There are three "families" of models in the SREF.  The ARW core (which is not what the op NAM is based on) family seems to be going the highest with the NMM (I believe the NAM is closer to this one) are going lower.

Then the Euro comes with a 144-168 slap. Will the pain ever end?

Nope. Southern states are going to finish the year with higher snow. EURO is dead on with this. It will warm up long enough for an inch of rain then back to brutal cold. I think I'm on the verge of being done for the winter. Don't know how much more of it I can take this year. The only saving grace is that the GFS is showing a decent snow for all of Ohio in that same timeframe.

Then the Euro comes with a 144-168 slap. Will the pain ever end?

lol...I can't remember, but when the euro shows a low cutting nw of us 6-7 days out, what's the 2014-2015 conversion factor for the actual track again?

btw, for what little it's worth mentioning, the ens mean has the low on the OHWV border

Guys,

let's start using the main storm thread for this.....    Hoosier asked if we would do that.  I think it's a good idea

??..Why...were usually treated as 2nd class citizens over there!! I have  no problem with this..but it seems like when you post there..some not all.. act like your stupid for even posting!!

Archived